1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Akio Toyoda looking for half of sales from electric powered vehicles

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by pilotgrrl, Dec 13, 2017.

1. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Zythryn and orenji like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, how the mighty have fallen.:p elon must be laughing through his batteries.

Ashlem, N.J.PRIUS, hill and 1 other person like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    “China on line 2 sir.”

Bob Wilson

hill and RCO like this.
  4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :ROFLMAO:

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Fallen? Toyota is the biggest auto manufacture in the world. I assure you Musk is not laughing. If anything he is pay close attention to Toyota. They have the cash to burn and the capability to come to market with actual cars not just promises. Also Toyota will be on the heals of Tesla with their own electric trucks through their own truck company Hino.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  6. TomSwift

TomSwift Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all, 50% "electric" (counting hybrids as well as PHEVs, BEVs and FCVs) seems like a pretty modest goal given the 20+ year timeline.

I can easily imagine that Toyota is interested in selling more in China and China appears to be committed to electric vehicles, so this announcement isn't all that surprising.

Musk has repeatedly stated that his goal is to speed up the transition to electric vehicles, so if Toyota feels that they should accelerate their transition (either from the pressure of possible competition from Tesla or from the desire to sell more in a market committed to electric vehicles (China)), I'm pretty confident that he would say "Do it."

Ashlem, Zythryn, Tracksyde and 2 others like this.
  7. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well 2030 is not 20 years away.

I like this statement:
    "Of these [5.5 milion], 4.5 million units would be gasoline-electric hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles and one million units would be all electric vehicles and hydrogen-powered fuel-cell vehicles, said the CEO."

I hope this means there will be a lot more PHEV options in the next years, I'm not fully sold to EVs just yet, but if Toyota keep delaying PHEV options then maybe it will be too late.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota is all talk, tesla is all 'do'. (perhaps not the best way to phrase it) musk has nothing to fear. akio's slow admission that electric is the future is helpful, and the japanese used to have to fall on their sword to save face, after admitting their mistakes.

toyota used to be a leader, now, they are sheep like gm.

RCO, Tracksyde and Trollbait like this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota seemed very reluctant to burn their cash in support of the PiP or even their FCEV baby. The Mirai has been out for years now, and Toyota is just getting into a partnership with other hydrogen car makers to build refueling stations in Japan now that it appears they won't have their hydrogen FCEV pilot project ready for the 2020 Olympics. Tesla starting building Supercharger stations before releasing the Model S. Hydrogen cars need infrastructure more than BEVs in order to be successful.

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All vehicles that require a fuel that does not have the currently existing gas/diesel infrastructure are still limited use as compared....some more that others...but still limited. So pick your poison based on the limitations you can live with...and let others do the same.

#10 frodoz737, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    orenji likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You can charge a BEV at home. This won't work for long trips, but it will for a daily commuter. So a sizeable number of households in the US can replace one of their current cars with a BEV without the need for additional infrastructure.

A hydrogen car can only be refueled at a hydrogen station. The most diehard supporter of them could not get one if there is no stations nearby.

Tesla wanted to sell BEVs that could be used as long trip cars. They built, and are still building, a charging network to support their product.

Toyota, Honda, and others supporting hydrogen FCEV looked to governments to build the refueling infrastructure that their products absolutely needed for customers to even consider them. Perhaps if they had directly supported the building of hydrogen stations from the beginning, there might not have been the delays in stations opening.

3PriusMike likes this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Obviously to me Toyota has a Japan-focus and Japan has no energy resources as he stated, so they are committed to minimzing dependence on energy imports.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    should have built out extensive solar, wind and hydro.

Ashlem and RCO like this.
  14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is exactly what Elon wanted. He may well be grinning from ear to ear, but I doubt he is laughing.
    I’m impressed that Toyota expects hybrids to grow that much. PHEV and BEVs sure, but I doubt hybrids.

15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A PHEV is a hybrid, with plugin capabilities. That us what the H stands for.

RCO likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he's grinning if he believes it. more likely rolling his eyes though. by 2030, tesla will be so far ahead, toyota will be filing for bankruptcy.

RCO likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well Toyota appears to have gotten the "regular" hybrid car down (Especially the large array of hybrid vehicle options available in Japan). The next avenue appears to be hybrid sports cars with the LC500h and I'm hoping something else down the line. Akio is a driver at-heart so you can be sure the engineers are developing a hybrid sports cars that will satisfy his love for driving. Hopefully that means, as consumers, when we see a hybrid sports car from Toyota, it will drive like a sports car that just happens to have a battery on board.

I would like to see them expand their PHEV as well. Even if they don't want to jump into BEV, they should at least push for vehicles that will benefit the society in greater terms - i.e. push for the one that will get more market share. Yes a cheap BEV will do it but given they're not there yet, what's the 2nd best option? More people in a slightly less efficient vehicle (but still way cleaner and fuel efficient than their current car) is better than a small number of people in BEVs or FCEVs.

Chodronish likes this.
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Toyota chairman explains why they are falling behind with electric vehicles | Electrek
    The above article explains how Toyota screwed the pooch and has gotten so far behind after leading with the Prius since before the turn of this century.

Trollbait and Chodronish like this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We'll see.
    I believe something similar was said when talking about the supposedly more comfortable seats in the Gen 4 Prius. You could have (and did :() fooled me. My whole family agrees the seats are uncomfortable on a long trip. I believe my son's 2015 Prius v has better seats.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :(. I don't drive the Gen 4 every day but it does feel comfortable to me. Oddly enough, I find the passenger seat more comfortable than the driver's. Maybe it's because I can feel more relaxed? lol. I can see why some might find it uncomfortable. THere's that one hard point at the bottom of the seat near the rear. But overall, it's still good for me.

Maybe they'll change the padding for the midlife update?