1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Al Gore on his Prius & earth issues

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, May 16, 2006.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just received an email from a Prius fan over at Mens Journal letting me know about this upcoming article with Al Gore:

In the June issue of Men's Journal (on sale now), Al Gore talks to the magazine about his family's use of hybrid cars among other things. Thought you'd like to see. The complete text of the article can be found here: http://mensjournal.com/feature/0606/env_gore.html

Al Gore on His and Tipper's use of a hybrid: "...we just got a Lexus hybrid, and our family are big fans of the Prius."

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Interesting- as an undergraduate, Gore had Roger Revelle as a professor- I didn't know that. Revelle was an oceanographer who did the first serious measurements of atmospheric CO2. His first papers on the subject were published over 40 years ago- unfortunately, it took awhile for people to recognize the significance of the problem.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cool.

He might be a bit too boring for highest official office but I do think he's trying to do what he believes is the best for this country

4. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

Go Al!!! My fav politician ever!

5. tideland_raj

tideland_raj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 16 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]256413[/snapback]</div>
    If you think he's boring, check out his latest SNL skit: here ... ROFLicious.

6. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 17 2006, 03:10 AM) [snapback]256413[/snapback]</div>

Sad, but true, I think: no politician genuinely concerned about the majority of Americans can ever hope to be president.
    The 10% who control 90% of the money will see to that.

7. tstreet

tstreet New Member

It's wonderful what Gore is doing, but I wish he hadn't bought a Lexus hybrid, the gas mileage of which sucks.

8. Dr Rocket

Dr Rocket New Member

Al Gore is an idiot. Global warming is NOT manmade. The Earth is much too big to be affected as dramatically as he discusses. Of course, he neglects to discuss how the ice is getting thicker in Greenland's center, how most of the 6,000 glaciers on Earth are growing.

But don't believe me. Check out Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" or better yet, his speeches found on this website:

http://www.crichton-official.com/speeches/index.html

for a reasonable well thought discussion. For example, isn't it interesting that most of the scientists that think that MANMADE Global warming is a hoax are retired and not seeking funding. Yet those that need funding will only get it if they are politically correct. Crichton even cites one journal article that concludes that manmade warming is real, yet all the detailed evidence inside the article prove the opposite.

Expand your minds and read all points of view. Follow the money trail for interesting insights.

9. Cameron

Cameron New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rocket @ May 22 2006, 10:38 PM) [snapback]259541[/snapback]</div>
    I just read yours and I'm convinced my mind has been shrunk. Thanks Doctor. :blink:

10. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rocket @ May 22 2006, 10:38 PM) [snapback]259541[/snapback]</div>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :blink: Man you are a Dr. of rockets........you should get back down to earth man.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In what way is Crichton an expert on global warming? Or more of an expert than Gore?

12. Cameron

Cameron New Member

From David B. Sandalow, environment scholar at The Brookings Institution

....Crichton’s most serious charge is that “open and frank discussion of the data, and of the issues, is
    being suppressed†in the scientific community. As “proof,†he offers the assertion that many critics
    of global warming are retired professors no longer seeking grants. Whether there is any basis for
    these assertions is unclear, but if so, Crichton should back up his claims with more than mere
    assertions in the appendix to an action novel.
    Indeed Crichton should hold himself to a higher standard with regard to all the arguments in his
    book. He is plainly a very bright guy and, famously, a Harvard Medical School graduate. A
    millionaire many times over, he doesn’t need to be seeking grants. If he has something serious to say
    on the science of climate change, he should say so in a work of nonfiction and submit his work for
    peer review. The result could be instructive – for him and us all.

And here's some reading material for the Good Doctor Real Climate

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rocket @ May 22 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]259541[/snapback]</div>
    You are so correct. Don't bother talking to the brain dead either, including algore who if my memory is correct flys around in a private jet sucking down tens of thousands of gallons of jet fuel. What i would really like to learn from algore is how he made over $50,000,000.00 in Google stock - and they vilify Cheney for actually earning his millions. If algore was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth he would starve to death or be picking crops.

And assuming global warming was happening and was mankinds fault how would the "greenies" solve the problem without being able to effect change in China and India???????? And I am waiting for the greenies to come out supporting the construction of dozens of nuclear reactors - obviously the best way to meet the countries need for electral power - maybe they will let us use the technology Iran is developing :unsure:

And if algore was so global warming sensative why did he not use his 8 years in the white house to pass the Kyoto treaty :lol: Maybe he knew how useless it is and how much of an economic bomb it is for the US - doubt that because that would involve higher cortical functioning. For all the greenies out there, according to the UN how much lower would global temperature be 50 years from now if Kyoto is passed and enacted today??

Oh, and my 12 year old wants to know how the Ice Age ended without mankind being around then - a Republican plot I am sure.

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rocket @ May 22 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]259541[/snapback]</div>
    Michael Crichton is hardly an expert. His previous books were about making dinosaurs from DNA extracted from fossilized mosquitos, and a guy complaining about being forced to have sex with Demi Moore. In other words, pure fantasy. :lol:

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 23 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]259865[/snapback]</div>
    and algore is an expert in what :blink:

maybe when it comes to the internet which he invented :rolleyes:

but really, the idiot could not even win his own freaken state in the general election which is all he had to do to be PRESIDENT :lol: Forget hanging chad - the people that knew him best, his own state voted AGAINST him. What else do you need to know :lol: They knew that he is a complete idiot, make that two faced idiot as long as he jets around in a private jet and has secret service people trailing him in large SUV's - who would want to do harm to him anyway. I think the Republicans are praying for either him or hilary to be the democratic nominee.

And I am to believe he understand the complexities of global warming - something that takes weeks of supercomputing time to run a single variable on. No problema. algore would have trouble plugging the damn computer into a wall socket. I would love to see him even balance his checkbook on Quicken :eek:

At least Crichton went to Harvard Medical School and graduated. algore failed out of law school? or was it divinity school? whatever. He's not even smart or complex enough to be a character in any of Crichton's books.

Still want to know how he hit the Google jackpot ;)

16. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    wow, I really hope there are not alot of people like u. We really are screwed if there are. Go put your head back in the sand.

Cheers,
    Curt

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ May 23 2006, 04:37 PM) [snapback]259905[/snapback]</div>
    hope springs eternal my fellow ostrich :lol:

think of this President algore - talk about being screwed. G-d works in not so mysterious ways at times. Like I said, even his own state voted against him. Need anymore be said B)

18. dogtrainer

dogtrainer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cameron @ May 23 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]259557[/snapback]</div>
    Gore invented the Hybrid...he is an IDIOT He is a waste of space and O2.....

19. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Actually the 2000 election shows otherwise...didn't Mr. Gore win the popular vote...which means over half this country believes him not to be an idiot?

I'd like to believe that as the predominant species on this planet, we could...oh...nevermind. I'll go talk to some common-sense greenies.

20. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

While there is certainly a debate on the specifics, almost all scientists will tell you that global warming is real, it's due to anthropogenic causes, and it poses significant threats. The one dissenting scientist, Richard Lindzen, who is always quoted in the Wall Street Journal and who writes the papers for the Cato Institute, is a well-paid consultant to the oil and gas industry.