1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Al Gore's "Assault on Reason"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, May 31, 2007.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    for anyone who is in the Seattle WA area, Gore is having a book signing and talk at town hall on Monday June 4th. tickets are $5 and portions of the proceeds go to charity. limit is 2 per order and seating is very very limited. ticket sales start in about 5 mins....will post more but need to get in line. go to brownpapertickets.com for more info

2. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 31 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]452628[/snapback]</div>
    I'm all for Gore's fight but his mansion is indeed a stain in his efforts.

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 31 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]452628[/snapback]</div>
    After watching his movie again, I have watched five times now, isn't his the title of his book a little like "the pot calling the kettle black"? A reasonable person weighing through all of the frightening images will see the movie is mostly bs.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 31 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]452636[/snapback]</div>
    well so should we villify gore because of what his grandfather did?? his grandfather built the mansion. it was put on the tennessee historic homes list which prevented gore from doing several modifications that would have reduced his energy footprint. so we should blame him for that?? i can easily see why one would want to live in their childhood home.

there is a light albeit dim at the end of the tunnel. gore has applied for and received permission to upgrade the windows and install solar panels so that will help.

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I for one see Al doing more than many to get the CORRECT info out there instead of suppressing it, manipulating it, and lying about it. Wake up, America. The rest of the world sees climate change. We can ignore no longer. Sure wish we could...oh...THAT's why it's an inconvenient truth. huh, makes so much sense to the sensible.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ May 31 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]452654[/snapback]</div>
    So "An Inconvenient Truth" was all based on known facts and represented the facts without editorializing and exagerating, spinning, or using models with a one-in-a-billion chance of happening?

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 31 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]452638[/snapback]</div>

A reasonable or a reasoning person? A person and make up all kinds of reasons why they think their current path or lifestyle is acceptable but that doesn't make it true. So are you saying that the data presented in the movie is BS? If so you must not have read any of the data we have provided you with or you are reasoning against it. ;)

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 31 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]452666[/snapback]</div>
    The images which were the heart of the movie were all bs. The Hurricane Katrina connection, the flooding of ground zero in Manhattan, the Polar bear without any ice to live on, even the hockey stick graph. I am not saying that we don't all have to make wiser consumption choices for the better of everyone, but the movie was mostly bs and if he runs for President will set the whole environmental movement back.

9. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Well, my view differs here. I see the CURRENT administration setting the environmental 'movement' back. And back. and back. And back even further. New leadership that sees forward is needed. It's hard, isn't it. But required. Such utter failure to move us forward. Lots of (poorly versed!) words and double speak.

Al has the data. Anyone can see that. Well, there a few who can't.

10. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 31 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]452650[/snapback]</div>
    I don't disagree with what you are saying. Most of the leaders that I aspire to follow their words with their actions. Gore is halfway there. Halfway because the leaders I'd like to follow do not live a life in richness or mansions. Tough standard to follow and perhaps a bit unfair but we've lost measure in the western world.

Anyway there's no question that the world would be a better place if people followed what Gore was saying in 00 and ever since. I'm not so sure if you know much about his history, his affiliation with huge industry donors etc during his stint in the white house. He has improved since.

11. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 31 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]452662[/snapback]</div>

well a meteor has a 1 in billion chance & you getting TB is probably 1 in a billion: do ppl stop trying to solve the issues without the pomp & circumstance or focus?

Drama & video gets the messages across.

Power point also serve that purpose on a smaller scale.

You are too focus on the delivery not the meaning.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 31 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]452670[/snapback]</div>

The hockey stick graph was not BS. The Polar Bear image was perfectly fine considering the limited sea ice during their hunting season. What was wrong with the "flooding" image of Manhattan? Do you mean that it would never flood like that or that the sea level could never rise that high? The Hurricane Katrina connection was stretching it a bit and they detailed as much on the scientist-based reviews of the movie.

Here is a brand new article on the "hockey" stick. It details how the "Beck" graph for medieval warming perdiod was produced.

I'm trying to find the article where they agreed with the basic ideas of Gore's movie but in the mean time this mdeia article details what I am looking for. http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,427655,00.html

I'll do my best to find a better, more reputable one for you.

Found it! http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=299

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    algore is an assault on reason

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 31 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]452688[/snapback]</div>
    Polar Bears have limited ice during hunting season? What? Manhattan could flood, so could anywhere that was less than 20 ft over sea level, just convenient to show ground zero underwater. Why not say that sea level could rise 50 ft or that it was time to build an ark. That was not science-based.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well... this has become a bit off topic (i guess) but i was able to get two tickets so i will be going. i would like to videotape the event if possible more so to be able to remember exactly what he said...keep in mind, the talk is about the mistakes the bush admin has made.... not sure how he will be able to do all that in just two hours since he will be signing for probably the last hour of that...

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 31 2007, 02:33 PM) [snapback]452718[/snapback]</div>
    Q? Who is to say our current climate is best for us?

17. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kill the messenger!
    Than we don't need to worry about GW! Or about peak oil, or the constant flow of American money to the Middle East and their fun fanatic tribes! (Which has NOTHING to do with climate).

18. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 31 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]452718[/snapback]</div>
    You're all by yourself on the polar bear thing.

Mainstream:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97762&page=1
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...olar_bears.html

Convservative:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Oh, and the Bush admin:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6122601034.html
    The Bush administration has decided to propose listing the polar bear as threatened under the Endangered Species Act, putting the U.S. government on record as saying that global warming could drive one of the world's most recognizable animals out of existence.
    "We've reviewed all the available data that leads us to believe the sea ice the polar bear depends on has been receding," said the Interior official, who added that U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials have concluded that polar bears could be endangered within 45 years. "Obviously, the sea ice is melting because the temperatures are warmer."

Oh, and it's killing the Inuit too:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/environment...827832320070529

19. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ May 31 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]452721[/snapback]</div>

Darwood a little OffTopic: wouldn't it have been easier to give those tribes money to not cause trouble for us & them?

Instead the conspiracy theorist in me want to say there are interests on many levels that wanted the war to happen & go on over & above the initial call to stop terrorism & nuclear proliferation.

Alot of money to be had in causing trouble.
    A nice $400B (& counting) check would have stopped this a long time ago.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 31 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]452720[/snapback]</div>

You miss the point yet again. It's the speed in which the changes occur............... !