1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ala Carte 30K service advice needed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zahmed, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Zahmed

Zahmed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 Prius just hit 30K and I wanted to know what the essential work is so I can order Ala Carte and not ask for the far more expensive 30K service. What should I ask to be done to the car? Oil change, filters change? Anything else?

2. Launch Vehicle

Launch Vehicle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hopefully by now you've earned a free oil change. Replace the two air filters yourself.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See here:
    Toyota Parts and Service

If you don't have a copy of the Owner's manual for 2010, buy one from a dealer or online. It's necessary.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tire rotatation.

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oil Change, rotate tires, cabin filter, engine filter, transaxle drain/refill and inspection of all components. This is the required service. One of the dealers around here has a coupon for $159 for the mandatory 30k service.

The transmission service is not required but is highly recommended if you intend to keep the car. If you plan to keep the car for the long haul and want to take extra care, I would also consider doing the engine and inverter coolants, as well as the brake fluid.

6. njmurvin

njmurvin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wife took her 2010 Prius IV into the dealership for a routine lube, oil, filter. We hadn't noticed there was 30k on the car. The dealer charged $240 for this service. Needless to say, I was pissed when I found out all they did was a basic service plus change a couple of filters. I need to go back now and see if they serviced the transaxle. I'd feel at least a little better if they did that.

7. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dealer probably did not service the transaxle since it is lifetime fill. $240 is an average to below average price for that service. Most dealers around here charge around $275.

MB860 ?

8. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you take it to Simi Valley Toyota?

They only charge $170 according to this:

http://iphone.toyotasimivalley.com/index.htm#specials_p_2Fservice_p_2Ehtm

MB860 ?

9. njmurvin

njmurvin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, it was and NO, they didn't. They quoted her $200 and told her it was a discount because we have had all our service done there. They didn't even have to rotate the tires because we just replaced them. Then they upcharged us because the oil is synthetic. So, all I got for my $240 was a glorified oil service with another $50 or so worth of filters. Shame on me for not being more on top of this. It just hadn't occurred to me that this car already had 30k on it.

10. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The tires still had to come off for the brake and suspension inspection. A $20-$30 up charge for synthetic is justified because it is the market price.

Although it is a long shot, I would go back to the service manager and see if he would be willing to refund some of the difference between the price you recently paid and the current advertised price.