1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alan Alda's PBS show that mentions Prius is available online

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius04, Oct 26, 2004.

1. prius04

prius04 New Member

This entire show is available online to watch. It was mentioned in a thread awhile ago and many posters mentioned that they had missed it.

This 1 hour program originally aired in May of this year. It requires a high bandwidth connection and it's in the form of a streaming video so it can't be downloaded to watch later.

The Prius is seen in it quite a bit and for about 10 minutes it's the center of attention. The film also talks about hydrogen and some of the research going on now.

There's an interesting thing about Iceland using geothermal to make electricity and then using that electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. No fossil fuels needed. They hope to be a hydrogen economy very soon.

There is also a hydrogen ICE Prius in the film. A mod by the guy who invented one design for batteries.

Here's the link then click on Why cars must be green.

http://pbs-saf.virage.com/cgi-bin/visearch...d&submit=Search

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: Alan Alda's PBS show that mentions Prius is available on

Alan Alda's piece (from American Scientific Frontiers, Season 14), as you mentioned is perhaps the best presentation on the topic of environmentally-friendly vehicles I've ever seen. It takes a level-headed look at the subject, asks the right questions, and gets the right answers. So many of the newspaper and magazine articles we've been seeing lately are loaded with factual errors and misconceptions. This video is actually quite accurate in terms of content (in other words, they did their homework). Better yet, it looks at more than just cars - it also discusses fuels and the technologies. There's a great discussion about why the industry still pushes to sell gas-guzzling SUVs when hybrids and the like are cleaner, more efficient, and a fuel-saver.

Whenever someone asks me why I decided to purchase a Prius hybrid, this is one of the things I show them. Gee, if it weren't a PBS show, you'd think I was trying to sell it for commission! :oops:

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: Alan Alda's PBS show that mentions Prius is available on

Oops! That should be "Scientific American Frontiers" Season 14. It was right the first time I typed it, I swear! :)

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Let me add my enthusiasm for this episode.

I'd already read a lot about hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, but this filled me in on a number of things that I didn't know about.