1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alarm Help package #4

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jab, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jab

jab New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My 2008 Package #4 is on it's way and I have questions about the factory alarm that I was hoping someone could help me with.

I have had my 1996 Saturn broken into three times so I put a Viper security system in and haven't had any problems since. Even when multiple cars were broken into in my parking lot. I am looking for similar protection for my Prius, but with the smart key system do I need to add VIP security and glass breakage sensing or can I add glass breakage sensing to the factory alarm?

Many thanks!

2. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes. You can add glass break sensing to the factory alarm. However, I didn't do it.

I also considered a motion sensing alarm. However the motion sensor is NOT an add on to the factory system. Motion sensing is a totally separate system and I was told it would be problematic because it could give false alarms.

My concerns are messing with the settings built into the car in order to install either system. The glass break requires a sensitive microphone under the dash and some dis-assembly of the dash to install the microphone and associated components.

Marvin

P.S. I am also considering a LoJack system now. Especially considering that gas might hit $4.00 per gallon. If and when that happens I'm concerned that the Priii would start to look good to thieves. What are your thoughts on LoJack?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glass breakage is built into the factory system, but you have to pay for the sensor and have it turned on. No alarm system is going to keep your car safe; at best it is just a deterrent. Try to minimize the temptation by not leaving anything in your car. The Prius doesn't have a lot of high theft accessories. The JBL stereo is useful only in another Prius, so limits the market. Probably the most attractive target are the HID headlamps, and you don't need to break into the car to steal those. The way things are going these days, the fuel in the tank might be the most valuable part.

As for stealing your Prius, it's not going to happen unless they haul it away on a flatbed truck.

Tom

4. Linden

Linden New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's what I was thinking when I declined the "extra" insurance my car dealer offered for if the car got stolen. (I'm sure it was just their way of trying to charge for VIN window etching.. which they do by default)

5. jab

jab New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the advice! I'm mostly worried about smash-and-grab crimes which are prevalent in my area. I kept the inside of my Saturn completely empty and clubbed but that didn't stop the morons from smashing the glass and looking around just in case before the Viper. The blazing-blue-led-of-death really worked.

And I have always had a locking gas cap, even when gas was $0.97/gallon! I'm a big fan of putting as many layers of irritation between my stuff and the crooks. :)

6. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    glass breakage IS NOT included in the factory alarm system. the regular
    alarm only goes off if someone forces open a locked door or i believe the
    hood, the glass breakage is an upgrade

you can save money by ordering the glass breakge sensor online, installaing it yourself, then paying the local toyota dealership to
    turn on the feature with thier hand held tester/dealer programmer

the glass breakge does include a volume control, so you can adjust the sensitivity of the microphone

even with SKS if i had the money, i would consider lojack. make sure lojack coverage is available in the area you are in and expect to pay
    about 650.00 to have them come over to your house/work to install it

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With after-market systems like lojack, be careful of the drain on the small 12 V battery. Some Prius owners have had the unpleasant experience of draining their batteries and not being able to start without a jump.

Tom

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The default factory system includes a flashing warning light on the dash. That plus leaving nothing in the open is enough for all but the dullest monkeys, who would break in anyway. Paying to have the glass breakage sensor activated buys very little additional disincentive.