1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

alarm question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sciguy125, Sep 13, 2009.

1. sciguy125

sciguy125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let's say that I have the car in Ready. Then I get out and ignore the car's complaints about taking the key with me. Then I lock the door.

Will the alarm arm? If so, will the starter disable also turn the car off if the alarm is triggered?

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you have SKS??Are you locking with metal key?? Why would the alarm go off?

3. sciguy125

sciguy125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, someone started a thread about leaving their dogs in the car with the AC running and it got me thinking.

Once it's running, anyone can jump in and steal it. However, the alarm is supposed to have a starter disable. If the alarm goes off and shuts off the car, then it's fine. Otherwise, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it unattended in Ready for any amount of time.

4. Muhahahahaz

Muhahahahaz Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried locking it while it's running? I don't think it will even let you...

(I'll have to double check that though as it's not something I normally try to do.)

5. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no standard "alarm" on a US GEN III. There is the engine immobilizer, but I have no idea what happens in the situation described above.

EDIT: I see from the post two below that the OP has the VIP RS 3200 alarm. Having thought about this some more, I think by leaving the car running and locking the car with the key, you may just have left yourself vulnerable. I think that the process of doing that doesn't allow the alarm and immobilizer to set so they can do their thing properly.

6. claridiva

claridiva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, the car will lock if you get out while the car is still in READY mode. I've mistakenly done it. There are other threads where people mention leaving their car on by accident and forgetting about it.

The thing you have to remember is that the car will stay on (in READY mode) EVEN IF you take the key with you but you forget to turn it off. Say, for instance, you are driving your car with a passenger, they get out of the car and have your key, but you/they don't realize it, you can still drive your car to the next destination, but then you will not be able to turn it back on until you have the key again.

7. sciguy125

sciguy125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I forgot to mention that I have VIP 3200 Plus

8. sciguy125

sciguy125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright, I tried it and it doesn't work.

If it's in Ready, the remote and the sensors on the handle won't lock the door. I also tried locking from the interior switch and with the metal key, but the alarm didn't arm (but I forgot to check if they do it when the car is off).

9. ALL_600D

ALL_600D New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    while the car is running, the VIP 3200 plus cannot be engaged. While the ignition is on, the alarm system is completely inoperable.

As soon as you turn the car off, then the alarm system can work via pressing the Arm button on the key fob and the alarm only operates when (+) ignition is absent from the feed to the actual VIP 3200 module. The starter disable cannot engage while the VIP 3200 sees a (+) feed to the ignition. The only time the starter disable engages, is when you "ARM" the VIP 3200.

10. paulemus

paulemus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You lock your dog in the car with the A/C running by opening the driver's window, getting out, reaching in to lock all doors, then activating up window while removing your arm. The car is completely locked and nobody can get in. You use the hard key slipped out of the key fob to get in.