1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alarm system & insurance questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by noisebeam, Nov 1, 2004.

1. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I very recently bought a 2005 package #7 (AZ, USA)

I wonder if it has any alarm/theft prevention as standard in this package that would be eligible for an insurance discount.

Interestingly the rep. at my insurance company had never heard of a Prius before and it was not in their computer system (They actually asked me if it was an SUV ;) ) Since it wasn't in their system, they entered it as a 4 door economy model. I also wonder what it should be entered as to give me the most accurate insurance rates.

Thanks
    Al

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

all Prius are equipped with an immobiliser as standard equipment. They all have a basic alarm system as standard, and I'd ask some of the other insurance companies if the Prius is in their system. It's been in north America for 4 model years now so what kind of rinky dink insurance company doesn't have it in their database?

3. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wondered the same, but I have had my previous Ford Explorer insured with them for 10yrs. at very low rates and every dealing and claim with them was handled very well. They said it was the 2005 models they didn't have in their database as they hadn't loaded up all 2005s yet. I think it was the rep. who hadn't heard of a Prius, not the company as a whole.

I will notify them that it has a theft prevention and alarm system.

Al

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Besides the immobilizer, if this model has side airbags, let them know. That almost certainly will reduce the rates

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might point out to them that the 2005 is identical to the 2004 (of the same option package, of course). They'll have to compensate for the higher MSRP and the reduced depreciation but it should give them a starting point.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I thought so too, but when I asked, they basically said 1 airbag or many, same credit.

I was surprised as one of the things I wanted was side air bags figuring it would limit the amout of personal damage. I would think reduced potential medical costs would translate to reduced insurance rates.