1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alarm System on PIP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by benalexe, Oct 2, 2012.

1. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So when I called my insurance company to get insurance for my new car I told them I had an alarm system because I assumed the car did. Am I missing something? I don't think it does.

If not does anyone on these boards add an alarm system? IF so what kind?

2. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Only comes with a passive anti-theft type device (i.e., the key has a chip, making it difficult to steal the car). I personally prefer Viper & Compustar systems (have a 2-way Compustar in my other car).

Both those manufacturers also offer a module which gives you control of the car over the internet. What system you go with, make sure you get it installed via an authorized dealer/installer (so avoid the eBay specials).

That said, as far as I know, it barely makes any difference on my insurance last time I checked.

3. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although not plug in related, My 02 prius with the type of factory alarm that sets off the horn due to an open door or if glass is broken saves me a whopping $12 a YEAR through State Farm ins. However, your insurance and the area you are in may or may not save you more money..