1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alarm system - to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tobeywan, Jun 12, 2007.

1. tobeywan

tobeywan New Member

My baby Prius is 4 days old. I posted on another thread that the dealer offered me an alarm system for $695. I'm still reading the owner's manual and saw that it already has a "theft deterrant system" where the horn sounds if someone tries to force open a door or window or trunk. That being said, why would I need an alarm system at all.

Please post your thoughts/opinions here. This newbie owner needs your input.

2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tobeywan @ Jun 12 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]460599[/snapback]</div>
    All Prius have an engine immobilizer, so it can't be driven without the fob. I see no need to have an alarm of any kind on the Prius since it can't be hot wired--the only way to steal it is on a flatbed truck.

3. tobeywan

tobeywan New Member

I'm interested in an alarm system to save on my insurance rates. That's why I am curious...

4. skandale

skandale Member

Every time I ask someone about installing an alarm on a new car, they say: "Why would you want that? It's got an immobilizer!"

Well, where I live in Oslo, Norway, we have lots more car break-ins than actual car thefts. Just smash the window, grab anything of value and run.

So I have an alarm, ond try never to leave anything of value visible from the outside. If the car seems empty, a criminal will probably (and hopefully) prefer the neighbour car without the alarm. If the criminal isn't sure he will find anything of value, he won't want to attect the attention from the alarm. He'll rather go to the car that won't mind him breaking the window.

That's my theory, anyway! :)

5. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My baby came with a glass-breakage sensor to tell you if
    someone was breaking in.

To the original poster: When was the last time anyone actually
    paid attention to a car alarm?

6. nytimez

nytimez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patrickindallas @ Jun 13 2007, 04:45 AM) [snapback]460707[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with that... I don't think an alarm is a deterrent anymore, whether it's for a smash-and-grab or, for cars that can be hotwired, auto theft.

7. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patrickindallas @ Jun 13 2007, 04:45 AM) [snapback]460707[/snapback]</div>
    When I lived in the city, I paid no attention to them. But now I'm in a quiet neighborhood, so if an alarm goes off, I look out the window to see what's going on.

8. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why do you think carjackings have become so prevalent? Car alarms.

If a thief knows he can't take the car without the keys in it, he'll just wait until you start it for him.

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had an after market alarm system put in my prior car and the car became possessed thereafter. The door locks would click open and shut, the dash display would black out and light up and so on. For this reason, I'm weary of after market adjustments.

If I were to consider something like this, I'd probably have the dealer install it as at least you can be pretty assured that they'd correct any work errors that may result from their work deficiencies.