1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alarm?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mookie60, Apr 13, 2004.

1. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

Is there a security alarm included in the BC package? - I think there is. But does it differ from the alarm that can be purchased separately from the option packages?

I haven't seen that either of these have motion sensors, rather they just seem to "alarm" when there's a forced entry and imobilize the vehicle.

Thanks,
    John

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Silver BC and it indeed has an alarm. I don't know about if it differs from the other one, but it is a nice alarm. I had my friend trigger it while I was all the way in my closet and i heard it fine.

Brian

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The factory alarm is an intrusion alarm only. It will only trigger if the car is forceably entered by jimmying the locks or smashing the windows (if you have the glass-breakage sensor).

There are no motion alarms (which is a good thing IMHO, as they tend to generate a lot of false-positives and annoy people).

Dave.

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is there any alarm in the number 7 option package? I notice a red flashing light on the panel after I lock the car...does this mean something is keeping vigilance, or is it a decoy?
    Bob

5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The flashing light with the key is the built-in immobilizer system. Not really a decoy because the car won't start without the key.

Doesn't mean an intrusion alarm though (although I suppose people could mistake it for such). Don't know if the US package 7 has an alarm or not. Should be info on Toyota's website.

Dave

6. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

So is there no difference between the "anti-theft system" listed for the BC package, and the "VIP (vehicle intrusion protection)" available as a Toyota Accessory (listed under Accessories on their webpage)? Neither has a motion sensor, they're intrusion only?

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Nope -- #7 doesn't come with the anti-theft system (i.e., break-in alarm.)

This is the feature that is bundled with the auto-dimming rearview mirror and the HomeLink accessory.

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yup -- that's my understanding of it.

That I don't know.

9. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Looks like some got VIP, some didn't. Since my car was a Dealer Trade, I don't know if it was included or the dealer added it.

Here's the sticker data on my Driftwood Pearl AM-7:

MSRP $ 19,995.00

FE (50 State Emissions)

AM PACKAGE #7 2,255.00

Z1 Preferred Accessory Pkg. 262.00

V5 V.I.P - RS 3200 Security Sys. 249.00

Delivery, Processing and Handliing 515.00

ADM (Markup) 1,995.00 (waived)

TOTAL $ 23,276.00[b/]

I don't know if the Z1 and V.I.P were dealer-added, or part of the AM-7 package that was being shipped back in Sept/Oct of '03. I picked the car up on 10/25/03.

By the way: I DID test the V.I.P. by tapping on the driver side window per instructions; this DEFINATELY triggers the V.I.P. alarm!.

Bob

10. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On my #5 AI package, the brochure says
    "Anti-theft system and auto dimming..."
    and the window sticker says
    "Security Alarm" as part of the $1920 AI package.

Then the sticker also shows option
    "V2. Glass Breakage Sensor (GBS) $149".

I don't think this is the VIP-alarm, but it seems to be more than the standard factory alarm system. Then again, that's the only upgraded security system on the options list for the #9 BC package?!?