1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alarming issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Grim, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Grim

Grim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    new to the forum and have an issue with my car, a 2006 Prius II T4 which has covered 38k miles. Stopped outside my brother's house last night and a few minutes after locking the car the alarm went off - now every time I lock the car it goes off after a few minutes. Have tried moving car, opening and closing all doors, turning off movement sensor. As soon as I take the key out of the ignition the red immobiliser/alarm light comes on and then flashes when the car is locked. had to leave it in his garage with the key in the ignition as the only way to stop the alarm going off! Any ideas of what to do very welcome! Thanks for reading this

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1 person likes this.
  3. Grim

Grim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks - did battery checks and seemed just outside parameters. Drove car down to the Toyota dealers and of course the alarm had stopped going off this morning! Hopefully just a one off problem which has cured itself :(

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I already offered my personal comments on the UK forum but I would ask you view some of the recent posts on PriusChat about Sat Nav issues due to faulty 12v's. In a normal car a low 12v can be charged full in about 5 or 10 mins.

In the Prius you need to allow 8 hours (yes 8 hours) for the car to fully charge a flat 12v! Have you run the battery flat at some point in the past? Do you do lots of short journeys or do you sit with the radio on but the car not in Ready mode?

The 12v in a Prius is its achilles heel. Apparantly it lasts about 4 - 5 years and causes all sorts of electrical gremlins when it starts to fail. My dealer offer a fixed price fitted replacement for £100 (last time I looked), so its a fairly cheap fix. There is an alternative available in the US but it might prove too expensive to ship to the UK.

Let us all know how you get on.