1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alberta Oil

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by DaveinOlyWA, Dec 3, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...024&ft=1&f=1001

in an industry that is one of the greatest polution culprits; oil refining, we have a process that creates 3-4 times the level of polution created by standard oil refineries.

is it really all worth it?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

part of the reason for 58-60 USD barrel is the cost of cracking it to make the products we want Gas Diesel Petrochemical polymers Grease Bitumen for roads etc. One error in the article is they have been doing the extraction for 2 years well Fort McMurry has been in operation for 20 years not 2. One company there produces 325,000 bbl a day and there are many companies there pumping oil out. A big player in the field is China. And they are not interested in sending the oil to the US. As it's a closed country they can subsidise all they want and keep their economy going. As the US has no interest in Koyoto Protocol I really don't think that Canada is really concerened about it as well. Why screw your country over just so you can't compete with your biggest trading partner. Makes no economic sense to me. If we get a change of government here in the upcoming election the incoming will probably opt-out of the Koyoto agreement. just my thoughts.