1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alcohol Can Be A Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tasker109, Jul 27, 2008.

1. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    has anyone heard of david blume? we ordered his book and are going to do heavy research into the production. if you havent heard of him, you can go to youtube and search for his videos. he also had a visit on coast to coast am with george noory last week that you can get on various bittorent websites. there are lots of people jumping on the bandwagon and it bears looking into. there are even federal and state tax rebates for alternative fuel usage. my question is in 2 parts. i know that e10 is acceptable in the prius but can you go any higher without any conversions? second part, one of david's suggestions concerning e-85 is to use half regular and half e-85. is that ratio acceptable for the prius?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally speaking E-85 is a scan and is pushed heavily by certain government agencies and argo-lobbyists because it gives them a way to sell more corn.

Food products used to create fuel are about as stupid as using fossil fuel if not more. There is not enough ag land in production to create enough fuel to help us and those ag lands that are currently in cultivation are being mined for their resources and their productivity will not be long-lived. Cellulosic ethanol shows hope of possibly working as an alternative but it is doubtful it can be created on a large enough scale, without creating other ecological problems, to be more than just another trick in our bag of renewable energy. :)

3. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    david's book details how to produce alcohol for fuel on the individual level. it is legal and subsidized. we have downloaded and printed the federal application to submit for permission to do this. an individual can make up to 10,000 gallons of alcohol for fuel a year. for a couple, that would be 20,000 and although gas mileage is less, the cost is so cheap it wouldnt matter. it can even be used to run a generator and you can run your house on it. the fuel can be made from almost anything that grows. my questions were specifically regarding how you could use it in the prius.

4. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thanks rfruth...its a very interesting topic for sure. i have a BIL who is so negative against everything but even he is interested in this venture. we have relatives who have farm property and we can plant anything from cattails to sugar beets and whatever else we could grow there.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't use anything higher than E10. Higher concentrations can damage rubber parts and some other components of the Prius. All new cars designed for E85 are clearly labeled as such.

Tom

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is exactly what I am talking about. Using land to create fuel instead of maintaining it as natural habitat (open space) or at the very minimum using it for human food production (in acordance to ecological considerations) is not considered wise use. We need to be thinking in terms of scale here and how our plans will effect the rest of our society. :(

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sounds just like moonshine. 10K gallons with a certificate if it is used for fuel.

make you go blind and burn up your ICE also.

9. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    F8L, what do you think about using marginal land for this purpose. I see cattails switch grass etc growing in ditches all over the place up here? Not that I would burn it in my 08. But could be considered as flex with out taking land out of the food cycle.

The reason I ask, is that most of our dithes require to mowed in the summer. Some are used for hay.

10. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    actually it IS moonshine. when cars were first made, they ran on alcohol because that is what was available. gasoline came later and cars actually had a control to toggle back and forth between alcohol and gasoline. the law states on this fuel usage that you have to add a percentage of gasoline into the mixture to make it undrinkable. the book didnt come yet by the way. we didnt send the application in yet because we want to know more about it.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it would depend on the ecosystem in question. In many places there are a number of species that require special plants during all or some portion of their life cycle. If catails are invasive or alien to your particular area or the species you plan to introduce provide more for that ecosystem then I think it would be a great idea. The problem is finding a plant species that is native to that area that will procduce the type of sugars you require for the fuel making process. Otherwise you run the risk of spreading a non-native species which is bad juju all around and is highly illegal in most states due to the costs in terms of economics and habitat degredation.

Streams, creeks and rivers are very efficient at spreading invasive/alien species so one has to be VERY careful about what you plant and where.

That being said, I think it would be a cool idea if all safety precautions were taken. Unfortunately I doubt the idea would gain much favor. The original idea was to create bio-barriers at the edges of crops to catch excess water and fertilizer runn-off. This creates wildlife habitat, climate mitigation, pollution control, and the vegetation grown in these areas can be harvested periodically to be used for energy (bio-fuels or thermal) while leaving some of the adjacent barriers intact to continue proving habitat, this avoids a total wildlife "eviction" during bio-barrier harvest times. This was based on cellulosic ethanol production but could be applied to "sugary" plant species as well.

I'm not an expert in this but the publications I have read indicate this as a viable option to solve multiple problems at once. :)

I like your thinking ;)

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A