1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ALERT! A tire problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Ernie Rogers, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Ernie Rogers

Ernie Rogers New Member

First, let me say that I am no expert on the Toyota Prius. You owners should know much more. (I own a VW TDI.) I discovered the following information that I thought everyone would want to know--it's possible I don't have the right information, and then I would expect to be corrected.

When I did a Google search the other day for information on the Prius, I found that Toyota is not supplying the car with low-rolling-resistance tires. Apparently, they were offering LRR tires earlier. But after receiving many complaints about those tires, they changed to "performance" tires having normal rolling resistance. The primary complaint may have been about poor tire life. (Duh! They didn't design for the right wheel /tire size.)

I just ran my fuel economy model for the Prius, using two tire choices, and got the following results for fuel economy at 60 mph highway:

Normal tires: Crr = 0.012 --> 49.3 mpg
    Good LRR tires: Crr = 0.0065 --> 60.4 mpg

This shows a potential mileage improvement from changing tires of over 20%. I am guessing on the rolling resistance coefficient for the OEM tires because I was unable to find any data. 0.012 is my best guess. The LRR tire Crr is the one I measured for the tires on my own car. (My tires are Michelin Energy MXV4 S8.)

In my opinion, this is a very serious matter. If I'm right, millions of gallons of gasoline are being wasted because of a bad choice at the factory. Well, actually, I hope I'm wrong.

Ernie Rogers
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Driving for Efficiency
    May 28, 2006
    989 miles /13.3 gallons ---> 74 mpg

2003 Beetle TDI + wing
    Michelin Energy tires
    Motul specific 506.01 motor oil
    ----------------------------------------------------

2. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    60 mpg @ 60 mph? Your model must also include a hefty tail wind and down slope! Care to share it? How did you measure rolling resistance? I've tried to do it with bicycle wheels and couldn't get a reliable value. Are you on the VW racing team?

Edit: And another thing. How did you get a TDI registered in CA?

3. vikingrob

vikingrob New Member

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know.. maybe you should ask the Classic owners since they have Bridgestone LRR XL type tyres whereas the newer ones, while still LRR, aren't as extreme as the Bridgestones.

5. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, great gas mileage, but do they handle and grip, or are they just rolling rocks. I had a driver hit me at about 5 mph after a long panic stop. His comment was, "I was braking but the car just wouldn't stop". I was furious as he was driving on K-mart specials! Had the idiot paid a little more attention to grip than to his wallet we both would have been spared a lot of pain. False economy in my opinion.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ernie Rogers @ Jun 2 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]264880[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! Talking about grossly outdated information.

Please, look more carefully when doing searches!

The Classic model of Prius did indeed come with LRR tires. But they were long since abandoned in favor of Non-LRR tires that lasted dramatically longer without a MPG penalty.

The HSD model *NEVER* came with LRR tires.

So this alert is basically like claiming Iraq has WMDs, relevant to basically no one anymore. Sorry.

7. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 2 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]264950[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! Talking about grossly outdated information. That's, "Iran is persuing WMD and sponsors international terrorism". Just ask our friendly State dept.

8. Ernie Rogers

Ernie Rogers New Member

Ron,

I sent you a private message on how to get my fuel economy model. It's an Excel file-- I'll send it to anybody that asks.

60 mpg is pretty easy, I do it all the time on the highway. That's right, good tires are very important to good mileage. My car routinely gets about 30% better mileage than it did when stock, about one-third of the improvement is from better tires. VW TDIs always come with LRR tires, but mine are better than the standard Michelin Energies.

I'm glad to see you have tried your own measurement of rolling resistance coefficient. Here's the routine I have used --

Find some flat, smooth highway with minimal traffic. Speed up to about 70 and put the car into neutral. As the car slows down, start a stopwatch as it rolls through 60 mph, and click the time at 50, 40, 30, 20, and 10 if you can; or stop the test when it starts looking dangerous to be so slow on the highway. Try to pick a time with little or no wind, but I would try to get three readings in each direction.

Average all the 50s, 40s, etc. Then, make a plot of speed versus time. The tangent to the curve is the car's deceleration. Now, you can calculate the rolling resistance from--

F = Ma = Crr Mg + Cd A 1/2 rho V^2

Crr is the rolling resistance you are after. Mg is the weight of the car, pounds /2.2 x 9.81. Cd is the drag coefficient for your car. For a Prius, this should be Cd = 0.26. The frontal area is 2.16 sq.m. Rho is air density, 1.22 kg/cu.m. at sea level. V is best handled in meters per second. Multiply mph x 0.447 --> m/sec.

I would read the slope of the tangent at very low speed and calculate Crr. Then, I would read the tangent of the curve at high speed, and use that value with Crr back into the equation to calculate the drag coefficient, Cd. The calculated number should be close to the expected value of Cd = 0.26. If it doesn't check, then you have a problem somewhere.

Tire or car engineers might complain that my routine is approximate-- it ignores some details. But, until the tire makers are willing to give us the numbers, we will have to figure our own.

Remember that the rolling resistance depends on a lot of factors, as does the drag coefficient. You will get your best (lowest) Crr when the tires are warmed up, and with good air pressure. I run my tires 10% below the sidewall rating (cold).

When I changed out my factory tires, I bought tires that were cheap but were reputed to get good mileage. I asked the salesman if the tires included a customer satisfaction guarantee. He checked with the wholesaler and assured me I had a 30-day return priviledge. Before the 30 days were up, I returned the tires due to poor mileage. I replaced them with Michelin's most expensive "energy" tires, one size larger diameter than factory spec. Since then, I have been smiling all the way to the gas station.

Send me a message if you have questions.

Ernie Rogers

9. Ernie Rogers

Ernie Rogers New Member

Oh, okay, John,

I would say that confirms my suspicion about Priuses having questionable tires. By the way, my energy tires now have 55,000 miles on them and only half the good tread is gone-- I will probably replace them this next winter to assure best performance.

I haven't had any problems with performance on the tires. But, I am a "cool" driver, part of the secret to getting great mileage.

I find that slowing down just 5 mph improves fuel economy by 10%. On my last tank of around-town driving, I got a personal best of 55 mpg. My highway mileage is much better, but I don't have the benefits in stop-and-go that the hybrid has.

Ernie Rogers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 2 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]264950[/snapback]</div>

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ernie Rogers @ Jun 2 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]265005[/snapback]</div>
    There are photos available (on my website) if you want detail to the extreme. But they aren't really worth much more than just a historical note at this point, since that's a hybrid chapter closed years ago.

11. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ernie Rogers @ Jun 2 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]264999[/snapback]</div>
    My Australian 06 came fitted with Michelin Energy tyres - 195/60R15 88V XSE Radials. I have no complains so far except my fuel consumption seems stuck on 5.4 L/100km but then again, I have only logged 1500 km.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Ernie,

Thanks for the information, and the replies it instigated were also very informative.

I would like to point out the Diesel/Gasoline variation. This assumes no ethanol in the gas. 60 mpg in a Prius would be equivalent to 67.8 mpg in your Diesel TDI, on a fuel energy equivalent basis. Do you commonly get that on the highway?

60 mpg in your Diesel TDI is equivalent to 53.1 mpg in a Prius, again on a fuel energy equivalent basis.

Seems to me that testing the tires on a Prius with CANView and data recording would make an excellent Car and Driver article (Is Brock Yates lisetening out there ?). With computerized data acquistion a more accurate dv/dt could be attained, and even graphed versus speed. With the formula, rolling resistance versus speed could then be graphed as well.

Driving my Prius it seems to me that the car will maintain electric glide better at 35 mph than at 25 mph. Although with the weather above 50 F and the tires now at 41/39 psi (at 70 F), the effect is less noticeable. The car came with 185/65R15 Goodyear Integrities which are still on the car. This could be electric motor or gearbox related, but it could also be due to tire characteristic. My guess is that at the higher speed there is less tire sidewall flex, and thus less heat generated in the sidewalls. The mass of the radial plies and thick radial rubber might generate more expanding force at the higher revs, and keep the wheel rounder. Kinda like if the the tire had more pressure at higher RPM.

Thinking of that, one might need one of those external unloaded wheel speedometers to do the test right. This would avoid the distortion in speed of the loaded vehicle wheels variation in shape (if there is any?).

I think I will go google LRR tires and see if there are any results regarding this on the Internet.

13. smarano

smarano Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ernie Rogers @ Jun 2 2006, 10:50 PM) [snapback]264999[/snapback]</div>
    Ernie -

I've read your messages here with great interest as I was about to purchase a set of Michelin MXV4 Plus tires in stock size (185X65/R15). I had a few questions:

- Would you consider the S8 to be significantly better than the MXV4 Plus? I'm very concerned about fuel efficiency, but the main reason I'm switching off the OEMs is for better traction in winter driving conditions. I don't want to go the snow tire route, and am looking for the best overall performance in an all-season tire.
    That's what has attracted me to the MXV4 Plus (quiet, good traction, equal or slightly superior MPG vis a vis OEM). Would the S8 give me all of the above plus better MPG, or would there be tradeoffs moving 'up' to it?
    - What tire size did you purchase? My understanding from comments here is that the S8's are not available in stock size.