1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alicia Silverstone | Not So Clueless

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Oct 3, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Full Article => http://gliving.tv/entertainment/alicia-sil...ot-so-clueless/

[​IMG]

I figure that this thread will get reported for that picture, but in reality, that's part of the reason for the controversy surrounding her new campaign. There was the pre-Super Bowl clip where that "Desperate Housewives" actress showed her nude back that caused the uproar. But at the same time, there's the GoDaddy Super Bowl commercials with the woman "in Marketing" dancing in a wet T-shirt on the table in a conference room. Beer commercials have always had scantly clad women - and the occasional topless men - in their commercials. Would the vegan/anti-fur spot go over better if she didn't comb her hair for three weeks, wore unfitting, dirty clothes, and fit neatly into the stereotype of the "hippie tree hugger enviro vegan?"

Dangit, I want my sexy vegan role model!

(not that I am vegan, but Alicia just say the word)

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I see nothing "reportable" in the above post. The picture shows nothing that would not be seen at any warm-weather beach in the U.S.

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice excuse. I suspect it's because comcast did not want to piss off the beef ranchers, got milk ad, mcdonalds, carls junior, wendy's, etc... Why doesn't the spinach lobby come and help Silverstone out?

4. priussoris

priussoris New Member

As in past marketing history.. SEX SELLS
    there will be more Vegans coming out and we will have a shortage on leaf lettuce and other vegetables.

I can see it now " Shortage of organic vegetables caused by women who bare all." in newstands tomorrow.

Now that will get some attention.

Anyway good for her, if that is what she wants to do go for it.
    only problem I see, is that she is not laying on the curvey prius of mine :eek:

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Oct 3 2007, 06:52 AM) [snapback]520552[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with Burritos on this one: Comcast probably pulled the ad because it advocated vegetarianism in ranch country, not because it showed as much of Alicia as you'd see if you had the good fortune to encounter her at the beach.

6. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 3 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]520551[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately :)

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, a crying shame that.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could be convinced to eat vegetarian.

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh my! What dirty minds reside here. I would've never suspected...and Hyo, to think I thought your only passion was compost! But I guess you "eating" vegetarian does lend itself to composting. :D

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Gives another incentive to eat vegetarian. B)

11. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Oct 3 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]520557[/snapback]</div>
    Yes it does. Unless the powers that be prevent you from putting your sexy message on their message platforms.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Oct 3 2007, 07:29 AM) [snapback]520571[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, if you want to see more (generically, perhaps not of Alicia in particular) it's not hard to find on the net. In fact, it's hard to avoid if you don't want to see it. Personally, I see nothing wrong with pictures of naked people. Why such pictures are considered "dirty" is a subject worthy of consideration.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ 2007 10 03 09:51) [snapback]520656[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. If you find this surprising, I think you completely missed the muffin theme. :blink:

14. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vegetarian/organic eating is NOT a panacea to our food problems.
    Organic food itself has been bastardized in the effort to meet the demand. In effect, becoming "industrial organic". The term organic itself means about half what it used to. Also, large organic food crops pose their own set of problems. I'm not defending pesticides here, but since organics don't use them, organic fields have to be tilled more often (more oil use). Farmers will water the bare fields to encourage the weeds to sprout, then till them again and plant the crop. They till or cultivate them more often (more oil use) to keep the weeds at bay. As the crops get bigger and they can't till with the tractors, they hire migrant workers to walk the fileds with propane torches to burn the weed (More oil, illegal worker concerns). A vegetarian diet involves shipping food crops all over the world, since local produce can only meet the demand during the harvesting seasons. a Non-Organic vegetarian diet also includes chemical fertilizers in massive amounts. Without meat production, their is no manure to provide organic fertilizer anyways. The healthiest farms have a combination of organic crops as well as chickens and cows, in what is a long forgotten symbiotic relationship between the animals, the land, and ourselves.
    I highly recomend the book "the Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. It discusses the food problems we face from both ends of the spectrum (Industrial food Vs. organic vegetarian) and how neither are sustainable and both are still dependant on a sinking pool of petroleum.

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 3 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]520679[/snapback]</div>
    Vegetarians taste better :D I know from experience.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    She was hot in "Walk the Line".

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Oct 3 2007, 06:52 AM) [snapback]520552[/snapback]</div>
    Watch out for that. When Segar was doing Popeye he received crates of spinach monthly from the spinach industry out of gratitude. It took a diplomatic letter to get that to stop. :)

18. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Oct 3 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]520761[/snapback]</div>
    You must be thinking of Reese Witherspoon. Alicia Silverstone wasn't in "Walk the Line."

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eclectcmoi @ Oct 3 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]520832[/snapback]</div>
    How right you are, talk about a brain cramp. :blink: Reese was hot in Walk the Line!

20. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 3 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]520527[/snapback]</div>
    Yep