1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All codes on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by doc_berry, Oct 8, 2009.

1. doc_berry

doc_berry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new at this, so please bear with me. I bought a salvaged 2005 Prius and have driven it 30,000+ miles. I left a door ajar for ten days and killed the battery(ies). To get the car to start, I jumped it with another car and things worked fine, but I did not let the battery(ies) charge enough before shutting it off and had the same dead battery (no lights, horn, indicator lights, anything electrical) the next day and jumped it again. This time, only the driver's windows would work, ALL of the warning lights came on, the climate control, power steering, speedometer, and engine cooling fan did not work. But the radio works as do the lights and wipers and the car still runs in both electric drive and gas engine drive and switches over flawlessly; I've noticed no difference in the brakes (the ABS warning light is always on now) and I've since driven the car over 1000 miles while seeing about a 1 mpg drop in mileage (43 now). I took it to the dealer and made them aware of the problems and what I believe to be the cause--in April. I picked the car up in Sep from the dealer--four months after I dropped it off--because the dealer could not find out what was causing all the problems (they had two service guys look at it and another guy from somewhere in the Toyota hierarchy without satisfactory results). I'm at a loss as to what to do. Suggestions please. I cannot leave it at the dealer for another four to six months as I need the car for transportation every week.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It sounds like you need to replace the 12v battery because you ran it down too far and permanently damaged it. The HV battery should be unaffected because it was disconnected by the system main relay(s) when the car was not in "Ready". You may be seeing a drop in mileage because the DC to DC converter is using more power trying to recharge your damaged 12v battery, so less power is available to move the car down the road.