1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All computer Climate Models Proven INCORRECT

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by mojo, Mar 14, 2010.

1. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    All except Lindzen.
    I recently posted a link to Susan Solomons study on water vapor in the stratosphere.
    Water vapour caused one-third of global warming in 1990s, study reveals | Environment | The Guardian
    There hasnt been much buzz about her results.
    She clearly states that all the computer modeling is off by 25-30% because they have not taken into account the correct amount of effect of water vapor on warming.
    She actually has stated that Lindzens "Iris Effect" may be valid ,by her observations.
    That the atmosphere has a self regulating system to control heat by creating Cirrus clouds.
    So if all models are wrong and Lindzen may be the only one who is correct, how can anyone still think that climate science is settled?

Also Wth .Try searching Google News "water vapor solomon"
    The "Google news" search has been scrubbed.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who's said they think Climate Science is "settled"? I certainly don't think it's settled, but I think that just b/c one person thinks that the computer models are not 100% accurate doesn't mean that the results of the computer models couldn't still be valid regarding AGW.

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    30% error is still valid I suppose.Anything below 50% is better than a coin toss.
    But more importantly Solomon gives validity to the Iris Effect.
    But if Lindzen's Iris Effect theory is correct, then the models are 100% in error.
    I believe most of the AGW cheerleaders believe climate science is settled because Al Gore has repeatedly said so verbatim.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. Analogkid1958

Analogkid1958 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Huh? How do you reconcile your topic heading with this from the article you cite:

"Experts say their research does not undermine the scientific consensus on man-made climate change, but call for 'closer examination' of the way computer models consider water vapour..."

"Solomon said the new finding does not challenge the conclusion that human activity drives climate change. 'Not to my mind it doesn't," she said. "It shows that we shouldn't over-interpret the results from a few years one way or another.'"

Also, I could not find the 25% - 30% error you claim she "clearly states."

Further, she says here that the impact of her findings are at the decadal - 10-year- level, which is a very small blip on the scale of climate change. In fact, her quote above admits this very fact.

BTW, the science is, in science terms at least, settled. There is no serious debate among climate scientists about the connection between fossil fuel CO2 and warming. The only real debate now is whether the models have actually underestimated the speed of change and if so, by how much.

3 people like this.
  6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ONE person claims that computer models are incorrect, and you title this thread "All computer Climate Models Proven INCORRECT"????????????

That's just silly!!!!!!!!!!!

We know you are an AGW denier. But here's the facts: No computer model is absolutely correct, in part because climate is not an exact science, and in part because without infinite computing capability it is necessary to approximate by pretending that the atmosphere consists of chunks, rather than molecules. But we are dumping CO2 into the atmosphere like there's no tomorrow, and this is affecting global climate.

The denialist arguments are originating in corporations and associations of corporations that profit from selling and burning carbon-containing fossil fuels, and are bogus. But of course they have the veneer of science, adequate to boondoggle a scientifically-illiterate population, handicapped by a sub-standard education system and their own laziness when it comes to educating themselves.

We don't even need a computer model to see that this much carbon cannot fail to have significant effects on climate. And you don't have to be Karl Marx to know that the old, backward-thinking, cigar-smoking capitalists running Big Oil and the Big Three U.S. auto makers don't give a fowling Bunny if the climate goes all to hell, as long as they get their seven-figure bonuses for screwing the country and the world.

2 people like this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    By all means we should be taking a close look at 'the iris effect'. It has been traeted extensively in the literature. In some ways it culd be called the last, best hope with atmospheric CO2 increasing rapidly. And no strong governmental countermeasures presently being offered.

Iris says about 1 degree C per CO2 doubling. The other models, on a 100-yr horizon, say 3 degrees (with a range of uncertainty that does not quite include 1 degree C).

The disparity not yet addressed by the Lindzen group is that for the last several glacial cycles, 3 degrees C per CO2 doubling has been a better fit (to the proxies).
    Rather than just wondering about that, you have inspired me to email the question to RSL directly. I'll let you know what comes of it.

2 people like this.
  8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "When the scientists fed this change into a climate model, they found it could have reduced, by about 25% over the last decade, the amount of warming expected to be caused by carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases."
    Ive seen other articles were Soloman used a 25-30% figure but I cant search them at the moment

10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Soloman is one of the most respected climate scientists in the world (as is Lindzen).
    Shes not a denialist so you cant dismiss her with ad hom attacks.
    She states the models are off by 25-30 % .
    That means error ,so what is incorrect with the title?
    BTW Imnot your typical denier as I have no ulterior political motive.
    I only want to learn the truth.
    AGW is originating in ENRON and Goldman and Im afraid that you Daniel are being duped as a corporate lackey.
    What irony.

11. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The last inter glacial periods may have experienced 3 degrees C naturally.
    But I believe Lindzen is saying there will be only an additional 1 degree C attributed to carbon .But no runaway catastrophe ,as the atmosphere is self regulating.

12. Dave Bassage

Dave Bassage Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How you went from seeking the truth to pegging the origin of AGW, a concept that originated in the late 1800's, to Enron and Goldman is beyond me.

Soloman is indeed one of the most respected climate scientists in the world. Had you read your own citation carefully you would have noted that her research is as likely to explain the flattening in temperature increases this past decade as it is the accelerated increases during the nineties.

Most importantly, her research indicates further study is needed before reaching any strong conclusions. And as noted, she does not in any way feel this study negates the human role in a warming planet.

In fact, you might find some of her other work enlightening:

Global Warming Is Irreversible, Study Says : NPR
    Susan Solomon on Carbon Dioxide in the Atmosphere - ScienceWatch.com

As for Lindzen, his work is sound enough to get published, but many of his conclusions, especially those minimizing human climate impacts, have been strongly challenged by other climate scientists. He is certainly well respected by the skeptic community, but perhaps that's what you meant.

13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I attribute the origin of the capitalization of AGW on Enron and Goldman.But AGW science snowballed from that origin.
    As for Lindzen ,I respect his position as an MIT Phd professor.
    The guy appears to be a dedicated sincere scientist.
    I have a pretty good ability to gauge bullsh$t .
    Michael Mann looks like a professional poker player IMO.
    Just looking at him makes me want to gag.
    For that matter look at the scientists in the videos I posted in another thread.They are all sincere.
    Id bet my life they are truthful.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I think confidence in Susan Solomon's research is well-placed, but read this one as well before you sign anything :)

Irreversible climate change due to carbon dioxide emissions PNAS 106(6): 1704–1709.

The more recent water-vapor study 'unearthed' here will probably help explain how decadal-scale variations should be dealt with in century to millenial scale climate models. Sounds good to me.

With all due respect I am not quite prepared to substitute mojo's understanding of Lindzen's research for my own. Will let you know if that changes though...

15. Dave Bassage

Dave Bassage Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so what you meant to say is that Lindzen is one of the most respected climate scientists in your world. Time will tell how accurate your b.s. meter is. Mine is spiking at your Enron/Goldman attribution, although I'm still not entirely sure what you accuse them of.

From where I sit it seems climate scientists were steadily increasing the volume on AGW for quite a while before policy makers finally took note, and capitalists that we are immediately started looking for economic incentives to effect change. For all his faults, Ken Lay was one of the early business leaders to embrace sustainability concepts. Perhaps that's related to your perspective.

As for Mann vs. Lindzen, rather than gauge on physical appearance, I tend to look to how their respective papers have been responded to by subsequent papers and research. Mann wins hands down vs. Lindzen on that scale, but for the sake of argument I'd be glad to remove both from the discussion and go with the consensus position of those remaining....

16. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thats what she said a year ago.
    Her current opinion has changed.
    Shes obviously treading lightly so as to not rock the boat.
    But her findings are harsher than her statements.

17. Dave Bassage

Dave Bassage Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's funny. Had you checked out my second Soloman link you'd have found an interview just this month related to that year old paper. Sure sounded secure in her support of AGW to me.

What's obvious to you isn't at all obvious to me. As you pointed out she's one of the most respected climate scientists in the world, in a position to help steer the boat as well as rock it. Her latest research is important, but I can't see her conclusions aligning with your own.

18. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Research the origin of CO2 cap and trade and then get back to me Dave.
    BTW Ken Lay was an ASShol$
    But you think Ken Lay was an environmentalist?
    Interesting perspective.
    As for Mann ,you think hes a god , I think he looks like a sleazy pro poker player .
    Lets revisit this dispute in a few years.
    Dave please be consise.
    Im sick of reading full pages of rhetoric when a sentence would be sufficient.

19. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Talk about a srawman!

To blame global warming "hype" on Ken Lay and Goldman is laughable!

Get a grip!

20. ems1

ems1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the truth hurt Icarus? Thats where it comes from. Goldman stands to make billions if cap and trade is passed