1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All Electric Toyota RAV 4

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kablooie, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was driving down Santa Monica Blvd. in Hollywood tonight and next to me was woman driving a Toyota RAV 4 with the HOV lane stickers. On it's side was a big stripe that said ELECTRIC.

I'm sure it's some experimental vehicle but I've never heard of it before.

Anyone know the story behind this?

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a couple of members who have RAV4 EVs. They were made by Toyota in the 90s. I'll leave the rest to the people who really know about them and Google search and the PriusChat search function.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Google Rav4 EV...and keep an eye on this thread. Darell will sniff it out and naterprius as well.

Here's a shot of me in Nate's Rav4 EV last month...

[​IMG]

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Man, what a beautiful car. Oh, wait, that's my car! ;-)

Kablooie, you need to see "Who killed the Electric Car?" (the movie) NOW.

These cars are not experimental. They work great. The automakers built them reluctantly, and took back almost all of them and crushed and shredded them.

It's an atrocity, and my car is rolling proof of this. My car goes 100 miles on $2.00 worth of electricity, from wind energy. Darell's is powered by the sun, solar panels on his roof.

The Prius is a gas burner, plain and simple, it's a step backward from 1998, when the RAV4 EV first hit the road.

Nate

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nate et al

I was thinking about this the other day, after driving that sweet ride pictured in Evan's post...

Why did Toyota choose the RAV? On the plus side, it's probably a little roomier and it certainly conveys the image that EVs don't have to be econoboxes (or worse in the case of NEVs and the like). On the down side, the thing's only slightly more aerodynamic than a brick. Just curious if anyone has a good answer. Not that it really matters...

And for the record, nate pays nothing for his electricity, the dog. :D Seriously though, what's whats the distance/kWh for the RAV4?

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe it's because the FWD/AWD option left plenty of space underneath for batteries and still have reasonable ground clearance.

Also, the vehicle is very lightweight. Other than the aerodynamics, the car is an excellent choice for an EV.

Well, tripp, what did you think of the car? (Tripp and Evan have both driven my car).

Nate

I go about 2 to 2.5 miles per Kwh in the RAV4 EV.

Nate

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kablooie @ Oct 20 2007, 03:20 AM) [snapback]528110[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously this I.D. is Darell's alter ego . . . enabling another oportunity for more smugness to ooz forth. :p

BTW, they were made / sold leased up into 2002 I believe . . . not just the 90's. Our local Edison Company has a FLEET (! ! ! ) of them. I'd jump their fense some nite, if it weren't for all those IR camers. :D

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 23 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]529307[/snapback]</div>
    It's mint. It drives well, and has all of the perks of a small SUV. I've never driven a gas RAV so I can't compare it to its more common sibling, but I thought it was fine. It's plenty roomy and it can tow stuff. I'm really curious to see how it performs in the winter with colder weather. Too bad you didn't have it last year, that would have been an excellent test.

Nate, given your commute, that's pretty good. If you could drive at slower speeds I wonder how well you'd do.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oooh this topic just continously burns me!!! why hasnt Toyota brought this back??

i had the chance to buy one for $55,000 a few years back... didnt because i thought SOMEONE would have done SOMETHING by now...and i was willing to go $35,000 for it.

man was i WAAAAY OFF!!...

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Darell gets almost 3 miles out of a Kwh.

For the record, I pay 5.546 cents per Kwh.

There's one two-mile stretch that is full pedal all the way up the hill. I found on my Prius that's where most of my efficiency goes. Likely same with the RAV4.

I have driven it more slowly, and get better efficiency. However, no matter how fast or slow I drive it, it still uses the same amount of gasoline: None.

;-)

Nate

11. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Oct 23 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]529301[/snapback]</div>
    A good EV platform has to be light, aerodynamic, but also has to have the cargo capacity to carry around a substantial battery pack (1000-2000 lbs for lead, still often near 1000 lbs for NimH). If you are going to convert an existing vehicle, a compact pickup or small SUV is often a good choice. This is probably why a number of the manufacturers went this route (RAV4 EV, Ranger EV, S-10 EV, etc). To do a smaller car properly, it often has to be designed from the ground up with the battery pack in mind (as in the EV1). Otherwise you will either have to settle for limited range / performance, or really push the limits of the suspension. Sportscars can actually be an exception to this, as they are often designed to be minimal weight, but with a very heavy engine (relative to the weight of the car).

Rob

12. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Nate,

Is that a GAS station I see in the background??

You two must have been out taunting the "other" drivers! :D

[​IMG]

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    LOL! The guy behind Evan really wanted the parking space. We were at the Cracker Barrel on Sunday morning, I think it was the last available.

Nate

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang... where are our EVs?!?!

Hmm, I wonder what happened to that EV that C Hirose was selling.

tripp, probably because it was an SUV.

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kablooie @ Oct 20 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]528110[/snapback]</div>
    If I didn't know better, I'd think that you were just trying to bait me! If Evan can post pictures, then so can I!

[​IMG]

Now... If I had started this thread, a few people would have come by to laugh at me, and that would have been it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 20 2007, 12:30 AM) [snapback]528112[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. Who could have guessed that! You must be clairvoyant (even if spelled totally wrong).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 23 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]529294[/snapback]</div>
    They started in 1997. That first year there were only 69 made, but still it was a start.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Oct 23 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]529301[/snapback]</div>
    It was the easiest to make swing both ways. FWD and with lots of ground clearance. The batteries eat up a couple inches of clearance and still leaves you with more than most sedans. Endless room under there, and NO encroaching on the driver compartment. The original gliders were made to be built up either way from the beginning. Toyota's was one of the most elegant and cost-effective approaches

My record was 133 miles on a charge, and that was over five miles per kWh! On average I do a bit under four miles/kWh from the batteries, and a bit over three from the socket.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Oct 23 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]529316[/snapback]</div>
    1997 until 2001 for fleet vehicles.
    2002 and 2003 (very few) for the retail program that really only ran for eight months out of the intended two years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Oct 23 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]529326[/snapback]</div>
    The EV version is only a little bit quicker than the gas version. This thing was NOT built to be a private automobile. It was intended for fleet use. Can't complain about the heated seats, heated windshield, CD player, all power everything.

We have plenty of owners in seriously cold climates. The car does fanstastically well. Have a look at my owner's gallery and you can see some of the crazy locations. Hmmm. I wonder when Nate will send me his info for the gallery?

Better. Probably way better.

You should get that looked at. Mine is getting crappy gas mileage too.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never use any petrol in my RAV4 either, I never drive it.
    (not true but I had to say it)

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 24 2007, 01:20 AM) [snapback]529604[/snapback]</div>
    Reminds me of a conversation that I had with a sales guy at the Toyota dealership where I bought my Rav4EV. I had it in for my annual tire rotation, and he comes over to ask me how I like it. He then asks me what kind of gas mileage do I *really* get. I say it uses no gas. It is electric. With a wink, he says, "yeah, I know the hybrids get great mileage, but they all use SOME gas!" This went back and forth a couple of times until I finally said, "Look. I have over 46,000 mile on the odometer. I drove it off this lot with four miles on the odometer. In those 46,000 miles, I have not put any gas in it. So at this point, I'm probably getting close to 46,000 miles to the gallon."

No. He still didn't believe me.

18. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 24 2007, 09:41 PM) [snapback]530015[/snapback]</div>
    Did he miss the GIANT PLUG on the back?!?! :blink: Or wasn't the plug "plugged in" at the time?

Seriously, Darell, did you make the plug or have it custom built? Is there a bicycle rack frame underneath? This is a must-have accessory for any EV or PHEV!

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sparkyAZ @ Oct 24 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]530039[/snapback]</div>
    I made it... originally with a bike rack, and then with a custom support so I could USE the back rack easier. :)

EVnut.com - the source of EV goodness.
    http://evnut.com/rav_plug.htm

20. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great job Darell! [attachmentid=12204] I love it! [attachmentid=12205] And the "Powered by American Electrons" sticker!

I wish I could have both for mine, but alas it is just a stock HEV. You've got to go all the way to deserve such adornments.

Attached Files: