1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"All four tires have inside shoulder wear"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hans_fh, Jun 30, 2010.

1. hans_fh

hans_fh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello!

I just got back from 30K service for my 2008 Prius. On the paperwork, the dealer marked Tires as "May require further attention." And here's the comments "All 4 tires have inside shoulder wear." I just came back from 2K-mile trip and did not notice anything weird on the road. I am planning to make another 2K trip this holiday.

My question: what does "All 4 tires have inside shoulder wear" mean? Is this a critical "problem"? what should I do to solve the problem?

Thanks!

2. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tire wear on the inside is usually a function of too much negative camber. The rear camber is not adjustable on the Prius and I don't think the front is either. Was the car heavily loaded with luggage and 4 people (this can cause negative camber in an otherwise correctly aligned car)?

Critical problem? Well only to your wallet when you need new tires prematurely!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't understand why tire alignment is such an issue on the prius. i've never encountered this before on the 20 other cars i have owned. is it more widespread than i realize?:confused:

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Inside shoulder wear means that the tire tread closest to the center of the car is wearing more than the rest of the tread. If you invest in a tire tread depth gauge you can measure the tread thickness across the tread and confirm or deny this finding.

The criticality of the problem depends upon whether the tread still has adequate depth on the inside shoulder or not. If the tread is bald on the inside shoulder and you plan to encounter rainy weather you may want to replace the tires before your next road trip. If you see plenty of tread (which to me means at least 4/32" tread depth in rainy weather) then no worries.

Front camber actually is adjustable. The procedure is to loosen the nuts on the two large bolts that hold the bottom of the front strut to the axle hub carrier, then move the strut in or out as needed to achieve negative or positive camber. If additional adjustment is needed, there are special bolts that can be purchased from the dealer to give you more range of motion of the strut.

The Prius suspension is close to "agricultural" in its design and won't win a prize for being world-class. Also the tires (at least on Classic and 2G non-Touring) are the minimum size needed to support the weight on the front axle. This doesn't help to promote even tire tread wear, but it's just a quirk that I live with.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If the OP has Goodyear Integrity tires (most of us did), they have very soft sidewalls and are prone to scrubbing the tire edges in turns. A good replacement tire will wear more evenly.

JeffD