1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All-new Toyota Tundra

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by malorn, Jan 12, 2007.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota has announced the MPG ratings on their all-new Tundra,"the biggest, bad-nice person truck on the planet!" In the words of Jim Press. Looks like someone lost the memo on being green when they engineered this one!

Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx(4X4): 14 in the city and 18 on the highway configured like most full-size crew cabs with the 5.7 V8.

For comparison the Chevy Silverado Crew Cab(4X4) is rated at 16 in the city and 20 on the highway.

I told you toyota missed it big time on the new Tundra!

Also Chevy's Silverado advertising made Toyota scrap their Tundra campaign.

2. mini2prius

mini2prius Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 12 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]374762[/snapback]</div>
    Just curious for clarification on what your definition of "missed it big time" is?

In another thread where you posted a link to GM's position on the new Tundra, the referenced article quotes Lutz as saying "I think it's a very, very, very well executed large truck. It's got good styling, great interior. It's a very nice truck." If Toyota hit their sales target of 200,000 (in the article, Lutz states he has no doubt they will do so,) then they will have managed to increase sales by 60% to 100% over the 100,000 to 125,000 they've sold in previous years (these numbers are taken from the article - I don't know what the actual sales figures are.) A 60 to 100 percent increase in sales and what sounds like praise coming from GM's vice chairman just doesn't seem like "missing it bit time" to me.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You sure you're comparing apples to apples? I read a review (Edmunds.com?) on the Tundra. The Tundra beat its competitors in mpg except for one instance where the Silverado had it beat in highway mileage (I think it was with the 4.7 litre V8 engine).

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    *yawn*

Why do you even come here?

5. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 12 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]374762[/snapback]</div>
    OK. I understand you are a die-hard chevy man, own a dealership(s), et cetera, but what are you hoping to accomplish with the incessant knocking of toyota on a discussion forum dedicated to their hybrid?
    A little background. I have always been a gm fan. I have owned several including a 69 nova w/ a 454, a monstrous blazer, and a suburban. The nova and blazer were built more by me than by gm, and they were both good vehicles. The suburban was plagued with major problems throughout its miserable existence. It was an alright vehicle, but nothing to write home about. I have also had a soft spot in my heart for toyota after owning an old hilux, which was an outstanding vehicle. So when the prius came out, I decided that was the car for me. I don't like paying for gas, and I also don't like paying for mediocraty (read: suburban). My point is:

If general motors built a vehicle comparable to the prius, people would buy it. It's really quite simple. So what are you attempting to do here? Convert everyone? I just fail to see the point of your argument.

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 12 2007, 11:01 PM) [snapback]375041[/snapback]</div>
    Because you guys always play right into his hand lol

7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 12 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]374762[/snapback]</div>
    Last thing we need is another Dodge Ram for urban cowboys (i.e. commuters that think they need this to be a man) Yes, it can be a useful workhorse, but it seems more like a Hummer on the cheap in a lot of cases.

[​IMG]
    I can't tell you how much I've seen this pose and it makes me sick!!! Egotism aside, suppose he has to suddenly have to turn? In that posture, it's likely to be a quarter turn - too much, possible rollover and a "Oh S#*t" moment. Roads are icing up in Texas and Oklahoma this weekend and there will be a lot of wrecks with such one-arm turns. Yes, I know all that legalese about "SIT BACK FROM THE WHEEL AS FAR AS POSSIBLE - OTHERWISE, DEATH OR INJURY MAY RESULT". I've checked and 2-3 feet if far enough to keep the airbag from killing you. I you are so far the elbow is not flexed, control is lost and it's not safe.

[​IMG]
    I was facing the sun too without sunglasses or squinting too - the Tundra driver seems to think he is special.

Anyway, it's not easy taking pictures on the freeway, even when the camera is set and ready to go. Window tint, etc. often keeps a clear picture from coming out.

I see drivers like above and see the one-ton pickup commercials like the Titan working.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've changed my signature.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mini2prius @ Jan 12 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]374944[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota built a plant in San Antonio to build 300,000 Tundras a year. 200,000 in the first year will be missing it especially if the sales are mostly from Titan. What will they do the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th year of the truck? Problems for Toyota.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 12 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]375002[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah check out the comparison at EPA. Also you will notice Toyota is doing everything they can to deflect that fact at the Detroit Auto Show.

10. mini2prius

mini2prius Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 13 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]375260[/snapback]</div>
    I suppose that Toyota thinks they will sell 220,000, 240,000, 260,000 and 280,000 in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th year of the truck - I don't believe they expected go from 100K sales to 300k sales in one year. Having overcapacity production capability now will allow them to respond to higher demand in subsequent years without having to build another plant. It seems more like long term planning rather than missing it big time. In 5 years, if their sales are still at 100K per year for the Tundra, then maybe I'd say they missed it big time.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Everyone,
    We just need to let Malorn vent from time to time. I'm sure we can all understand his frustration. After all, even after years in the market, Chevy is still not producing the top selling truck in the United States. It's easy to understand that he's simply taking it out on us because his ranting would simply be interpreted as the whining that it is on any Ford forum.

The best thing to do is simply to ignore him every single time you see a post regardless of how his provocations might make you feel. It's just his way of letting it out. I'm sure a clinical Psychologist could explain these defensive tactics better.

Here are only a couple articles that might be part of his frustration:
    Best Pickups: 2006
    F-Series Celebrates 25th Anniversary As America's Best-Selling Truck

But what might be really annoying him is this paragraph from the "Best Pickups" article:
    Maybe he's concerned that Toyota and Nissan combined really do pose a very real threat to GM's respectable-but-still-second-place position in the large truck arena or that the large truck market will in fact dwindle. After all, when someone is drowning, they thrash around alot and make alot of noise just like he does here on a regular basis.

But again, perhaps a Psychologist is more able to provide a more accurate prognosis.

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jan 13 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]375194[/snapback]</div>
    Good signature. I'm trying to avoid flamebait myself, too, life is too short already.

13. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some obversations so obvious they may have been ignored:

- 1.5% of the population drives hybrids.
    - Prius drivers are half of that population.
    - PC members are a fraction of that.
    - Even if PC members bought GM from this day forward, it would not change the trends of Toyota and GM
    - Over the last 30+ years, Toyota's US market share has been increasing, while GM's has halfed
    - People do not buy poor vehicles agains and again forever - they change
    - An automaker can't go from zero market share in the late 60's to whatever it is today (20%??? someone help me), unless a lot of people thought it best met their needs
    - To change brand loyality, you must be a lot better

In other words, Toyota earned it.

14. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Jan 13 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]375127[/snapback]</div>
    Look who'se poopie doesn't smell!

Lets not mention how safe it is to be watching for "urban cowboys" and taking pictures of them while driving.

Take care of yourself.

15. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jan 14 2007, 11:21 PM) [snapback]375729[/snapback]</div>
    I've heard this before.

The camera was cocked and ready to go - maybe ten seconds max.

People use cellphones on the road way longer than ten seconds and it's very doubtful they are as watchful of the road.

The safety is a red herring - people get upset at seeling pictures of people in the act of being full of themselves, wasting gas, being the real road hazard.

Anyone having a problem with this "Candid Camera/Borat" exercise must be against cell phones on the road if they are consistent.

These pictures were from over a year ago, BTW.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Jan 14 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]375738[/snapback]</div>
    I remember my local news doing a report on drivers using cellphones while driving once. They had the cameraman (or woman) film other drivers on the road that were yakking away.

One of the driver's fingered the camera. I wonder if his boss saw it.

17. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lest ye forget, a Tundra hybrid is in the works and should arrive by next year. Should be interesting to see what HSD does for a vehicle of that size, not just in terms of fuel economy but also utility.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it's next year. I thought the diesel comes first?

19. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Jan 22 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]379405[/snapback]</div>
    Uh... Did I miss the press release?

I don't remember Toyota saying anything about it.

And since it is brought up, the oh so "Sienna Hybrid" coming next year rumor is in its 3rd year rumor. Toyota still have not anounce anything that it will come out.

Lets just wait until it comes out of the horse's mouth.

20. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    tp, I think Toyota US diesels are on hold for now, as stated in a press release leading up to Tundra release. The PR mentioned additional engineering and manufacturing costs that would be prohibitive given that the lines will be production limited making the other 31 models now.

Tundra hybrid wasn't a press release, but IIRC was mentioned in a San Antonio newspaper interview at the plant with then Toyota Pres. Wantanabe (the horse). He said it was placed on 'accelerated development' schedule for release ASAP. No time to find the link now, must be on Google though.