1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All Season Replacement Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nickb, Mar 16, 2007.

1. nickb

nickb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have read the 1001 posts about this and I am still scratching my head...

I have 45k on the stock integrity's and I'll have to replace them at 50k. I do a lot of highway driving which explains how they have lastest so long.

My main concern is a good all season tire, good in the wet and as good as you can get in snow and ice. And if I don't have to take a hit in MPG, it would be awesome.

Any opinions from owners?

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Michelin Energy™ MXV4® Plus

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Mar 16 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]406980[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto. I have them in the stock size.

Tom

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can third the Energy MXV4 Plus. Have those stock on the Camry and replaced them with the same set when they wore out. They're decent on ice/slush.

Another suggestion is the Nokian Hakkapelitta WR

5. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Michelin Hydroedge....

guess it may depend on your climate.....go to the Michelin site and compare!

6. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Tire Rack, Bridgestone Turanza LS-T 195/65R15, mail ordered and locally installed by one of Tire Rack's recommended installers. And they have an 80K mile warranty.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Pirelli CINTURATO P3000 in P195/60R15 87T size. Slightly wider for more grip, very quiet, low rolling resistance, 855.6 revolutions per mile vs. 855 of the OEM tires, 99K mile warranty.

8. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Mar 16 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]406983[/snapback]</div>
    I have religion around the Michelin MXV4+ Energy tires.... have used them on several cars - and they are really good. Consumer Reports consistently show them near the top in all categories.

Expensive tire and may not last as long as others. However, top quality ride characteristics.

Being from California, have limited experience with them in snow / ice conditions. Lots of experience on open road and stop / go traffic too...

9. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 18 2007, 03:17 AM) [snapback]407772[/snapback]</div>
    I forget, did the Consumer Reports' latest (November 2006) test of H-rated all season tires rank the MXV4 Plu$ midpack or twelfth out of 22 different tires? I believe CR's overall ranking placed them behind the Dunlop SP Sport 5000, Michelin Pilot Exalto AS, Falken Ziex ZE-512, Continental ContiProContact, Yokohama Avid H4S, and several other tires. Tirerack.com tests also rate them ok, but by no means great. The user surveys of the MXV4+ posted there are also pretty lukewarm.

Of course, dedicated winter tires are "as good as you can get in snow and ice." Otherwise the MXV4$ seem like a fair alternative to the other higher rated, lower priced tires. If price isn't an issue, I've also heard great things about Nokian all season tires, even though I haven't seen any instrumented tests of them. They are reportedly especially good at winter traction (even the all season models) and low rolling resistance.

10. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Mar 18 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]408257[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have access to this copy of consumer reports - so I can't refute your comments. I just recall that I do not consider the overall score because it uses Consumer's own weighting - rather I look at the individual characteristics and focus in on the ones that apply to my situation the most.

I am in Souther California and issues like driving in extremely cold weather or snow are not a concern. I look for dry / wet road performance, stopping distances and noise.

11. nickb

nickb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks all for the comments... Reasearching this topic I am going to go with the Michelin Harmony or maybe the confortreads... I need an all season that is good in the snow. I like the specs on the MXV4s, but with the tire seems to wear out quickly and the snow tracion seems mediocre. The integrity's are rated medioce and they are not very acceptable to me. Since I am still a couple months away, we'll see how things go. I'll have to compare the Harmony and Comfortread again...

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The ComforTred tires are good, a little noisy, but quieter than the Integrity tires; have them on the 2005. Consider going to a 195/60 profile. More rubber on the road and (about) the same circumference as the 185/65 Integrity tires. This should give better handling and grip.

13. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 25 2007, 09:35 PM) [snapback]412144[/snapback]</div>
    Those tires sound pretty suite Bill. Remind me to take a look at them when we get together for April.

14. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 26 2007, 12:35 AM) [snapback]412144[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't a larger width, all other things being equivalent, generally give you poorer traction in the snow (i.e., not as good at getting down through the snow to the road)?

15. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased the Yokohama AVID TRZ
    P195/60R15 87T 80K Warranty

Love 'em!!!!

cheaper than the Michelin's

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ Mar 27 2007, 07:22 AM) [snapback]412873[/snapback]</div>
    Yes

17. smokey1

smokey1 New Member

You could get the COOPER Trendsetter SE's . I believe they're about $70 each . I've used them for years and never had any issues . Good ride , tough tire w/ potholes , very good in rain , and seem to have low rolling resistance . Had them on 2003 MATRIX w/ 4 speed auto w/ overall average of about 33 m.p.g. and our 2000 Prizm w/ 5 speed manual gets an average of around 36 m.p.g. w/ the TRENDSTTER SE's . Very good tire for the price . Go to www.coopertires.com for look if curious . GOOD LUCK .

18. c4

c4 Active Member

I just ordered the Nokian i3 as a replacement for the Hydroedge which were great in wet weather, but were noisy and simply did not live up to the mileage ratings.. The tires should be here in about a week so I'll report on how they compare..

19. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

I just spent sometime looking at ratings on the tires at tirerack and the highest for our size is the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position. Is that too much tire for the Prius?

20. calbear

calbear Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got the 960s on my 06 Prius in the 195/60R15 size. Today was torrential rain in the Bay Area and it was shocking the difference before (30k on Integritys) and after.

I can now corner hard, even in very wet roads, don't slip on acceleration or braking, and feel MUCH more sure-footed. No wobbly squeal from the tires on cornering eaither. Really a huge improvement. Very happy with them so far.