1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All-Solar-Electric Car - For real!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by daniel, Oct 17, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anybody seen this?

Venturi Astrolab

All-solar-electric car. Two-seater. The picture makes it look as though there might be no luggage space at all. Very few specs offered. Somewhere it says the price will be a bit over $100,000. Still, how cool is this! I'd like to test-drive one.

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 17 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]334169[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, there's always a catch. It's not really a solar car. If you read the specs, it is a plug in electric car, and the solar panels provide, on average, 18 km of travel per day. I guess you could say it's a hybrid electric/electric car. It says batteries will get you 110 km on a charge, so that's 128 km with a full day's worth of sun. Top speed is respectable at 120 km/h (about 75 m/h). Then again, at only a touch over 600 pounds that seems reasonable. Of course I'd hate to get in an accident in one. Even a Prius is a beast compared to it.

And you're right, it doesn't look very pracical, does it.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They do call it a hybrid solar-electric. But I missed the part about only getting 18km per day on solar. Oh, well, back to the real world.

... though it is cool looking... not as cool as a tzero, though... I'd really love to have a tzero.