1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured All Volvos launched from 2019 will be hybrid or EV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bhtooefr, Jul 5, 2017.

1. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Volvo Cars to go all electric - Volvo Car Group Global Media Newsroom

Misleading title on the press release, but it basically boils down to... between 48 volt mild hybrids (it's better than not having any hybrid system, even if a full hybrid would be better), PHEVs, and BEVs (five of which they're claiming will be released between 2019 and 2021), Volvo will not launch any ICE-only models in 2019 or later.

wjtracy likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sometimes we have to patiently let the market decide. My engineering understanding is that 48V risks failing customer expectations. Worse, USA EPA testing is a hard test thanks to the VW cheat.

Bob Wilson

3. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it meets the claimed fuel economy numbers (in the case of EPA), or misses them by no more than the competition (in the case of NEDC, although these cars will also be subject to WLTP and RDE), then customer expectations can be maintained.

telmo744 likes this.
  4. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If a car already has a high price tag, no one will bitch about additional $2,000 for 48V system. And at least S&S feature will work normally with 48V system, maybe even AC system when stationary?

5. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, that's one big thing with a 48 V system - you might actually be able to start the engine and get the car rolling at the same time, depending on how it's structured.

A lot of buyer apprehension of start-stop systems is the delay in getting the car started, especially in the American market where automatics are expected to be able to creep as soon as you lift off the brake.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Probably will depend greatly on the customer. There is a HUGE segment that, for a lack of a better descriptor, is "anti-hybrid" due to various reasons. A manufacturer than can make them a "regular" car with much better city mpg that meets EPA (hwy mpg is already "OK" on many models for most customers) is probably the path of least resistance.

bhtooefr and Trollbait like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't half their lineup already electrified? (V60 PHEV, XC90 T8 and soon-to-arrive S80 T8). Just need to electrify the 40 series, XC60, XC70 and V90 Cross Country.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well our family has a decade of efficient car inventory on the driveway so it won't be something I'll have to worry about right away. I remain skeptical of 48V systems because they don't address the urban driving profile BUT then I've been driving under 3% market share cars since 2005 and never looked back.

I just hope the moderators will corral them in "Other cars" and our local 48V fans will handle their questions when they ask,"How come I'm not getting Prius mileage?" I've done that already.

Bob Wilson

telmo744 likes this.
  9. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, they have four models with an electrified option (all of which are plug-in hybrids) - the XC90, V90, S90, and V60.

That doesn't include the XC60 (of which two generations are currently on sale in Sweden), any of the four Cross Country versions of the standard models (V90XC, V60XC, V40XC, or S60XC), the V40, or the S60.

And, all models have several choices of non-electrified powertrain available.

That said, 48 volt systems do address the urban profile better than not having any hybrid system at all, is the point, and someone's pushing to make this stuff cheap enough. No, it's not as good as a full hybrid system, or probably even as good as a GM eAssist system (which was similar in concept, but higher voltage, lower current). But, at 48 volts, it's low voltage, not requiring as much costs to safely work on it or assemble it.

Basically, they're trying to replace conventional diesels with 48V mild hybrid gassers, due to impending diesel bans in Europe.

Mendel Leisk and Trollbait like this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder what the overall impact is on the EU gasoline/diesel market.
    Sounds like more gaso and less diesel, which could be hard to reconfigure the diesel-centric refining system over there.

11. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They're having to import diesel, though, to meet the demand. So, shifting the balance would likely help matters initially, and it'll take a while to flush the diesel fleet out.

Of course, there's the emissions impact of direct injection gasoline engines to consider, too: Empa - 604 - Communication - soot-particles-from-gdi

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's easy, "Does it have a Prius like fuel economy rating?"

The current eAssist is less powerful than the first system to bear that name. The battery is also smaller. Though there are a couple of supercapacitors illustrated on a first responder pamphlet. One is most likely back up power for the braking system, but I haven't seen any technical explanation for them.

hill likes this.
  13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be hilarious if Dodge, etc... adopted this philosophy and made all the coal rolling Pickup trucks hybrids :LOL:

God forbid red neck owners couldn't cover the truck with "Hybrid Repellent" and "Prius Repellent" stickers any longer!

ShenmueTacos and bwilson4web like this.
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    #14 Trollbait, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whoa! what just happened there?:eek:

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if they'll still go a million miles without a repair.:rolleyes:

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Fixed it, but no idea why it did that. Jalopnik asked me to turn off the ad blocker earlier. Don't know why or if that would cause problems.

bisco likes this.
  18. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To be fair, they haven't done that for ages anyway.

bisco likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I knew about them but the numbers were pretty small. I don't think they followed through with them as a standard option. Perhaps someone in California might scrub the GM web pages to see if they are still available?
    I have no problem with the justification of more accessories needing power marginal for a 12V system. My problem is with:
    There will be an effect but these numbers are more than a little optimistic. Sure 48V will allow more 'engine off' time under partial power such as stopped and accessory loads like turning the A/C compressor. But I don't see the size of these claims as credible, especially considering how the EU has been testing their cars.

Bob Wilson

#19 bwilson4web, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I doubt it even has a 2002 Prius EPA rating. Call me when it has the Prius Prime EPA rating.