1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Allowing the Prius to use the HOV lane.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaguaraja, Nov 19, 2004.

1. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

To all Long Islanders, I've written emails to my reps, senators, and governor on how they should allow hybrids to use the HOV lane. If you want to use my sample letter and modify it, just let me know. Oh wait, I'll just post it here...heh

I would like you to consider a proposal/incentive, where people who own fuel efficient hybrid cars such as the Toyota Prius can travel on NY's HOV lanes even if there is just one passenger.

California's governor has introduced just this exact proposal to provide incentive for the people to purchase a fuel efficient vehicles as their next auto purchase.

I agree very much with California's governor. The HOV lane was designed to lower people's fuel usage and lower auto emissions by providing people who carpool a private lane. I see us achieving this very same goal just by using hybrid cars. The Prius for example, routinely gets 50mpg and emits much fewer emissions that a standard car. It also makes less noise since the engine shuts off during traffic situations allowing neighboring homes to endure less noise pollution.

I propose that any hybrid vehicle that can achieve at least 40mpg can use the HOV lanes. After all, what good are we doing allowing a Hummer with two passengers to use the HOV lane? I believe allowing hybrid cars will achieve the goals and spirit of what the HOV lane was intended to accomplish.

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

There are other states that allow hybrids to use the HOV lane and not just California. You can find out which ones by exploring other threads here on Priuschat where this was discussed before.

I'm in favor of these kinds of laws but ONLY FOR A LIMITED time. 3 years would be good but no more than 5. Don’t forget another reason for these laws is traffic congestion so a single rider vehicle is not a good thing. The only reason I like these laws is because of the PR value and anything that helps people to consider a hybrid can only be a good thing. Once cars like the Prius reach a certain “tipping point†in the market, they should not get this special treatment.

Another thing is we need to be careful what this law would allow. Chevy is putting something they call a hybrid on the silverado truck. But this truck will still pollute like crazy and use tons of gas. So the law should spell out only vehicles that are super low polluters and super high MPG would qualify.

So for those who want to write a letter, add those other states to your letter but please help assure that this law does not apply to “pretend†hybrids that really don’t deserve to use the same name as the Prius.

3. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jaguaraja\";p=\"51549)</div>
    Take a look at Senate Bills 7474 and 4523. These are the ones we need them to pass. I sent my rep. an email urging support for these bills. Never even got a response from the the guy. Needless to say, I won't be voting for him again.

Geoff

BTW - you should check out this site: http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=25356
    You won't believe some of the bills that have been introduced in NY - even one to keep SUVs over 6,000 lbs off the parkways. :D