1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alloy Wheel Caps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by diz, Jul 25, 2004.

1. diz

diz New Member

Today while cleaning my 4 day-old Prius I noticed the front left wheel cap (the plastic surround over the edge/valve) was missing. The alloy was scuffed suggesting something nasty had occured to remove it.

I'm adament that I havn't driven into a curb (seeing its a right-hand drive, the left front is the 'curb' tyre) and there is no visible scuffing on the tyre which I would have expected - is this expectation correct? So, what to do!?

Tomorrow I'll take it to the dealership and ask for the pre-delivery checklist (which wasn't provided, I don't know if one exists for customers in NZ). But, how best should I approach this? I do want it fixed (just the surround), but is it my problem or theirs? It would be hard to argue someone forgot because it is evident something or someone forceably removed it.

Do you think I can convince them that because the tyre is not scuffed I havn't hit a curb? Has anyone else lost one, or know how hard it is to remove one?

Thanks!

-d

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I have seen a couple of posts from people who lost the cap after hitting a curb. The caps are apparently not hard to remove; you just have to pry them a bit and then pull them off.

Good luck with your dealer. The set of four caps is expensive, but maybe he has one cap lying around. You could also remove the other three caps and see if you like the looks better.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you're SOL. This is something YOU should have noticed before taking delivery if it existed prior to delivery. It also seems like a very unlikely pre-delivery problem or oversight. I think your options are to either remove the 3 remaining rings, or purchase a replacement.