1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alloy wheels symmetrical ?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by park187, Jun 7, 2012.

1. park187

park187 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are the wheels on the 2012 Prius V symmetrical? The spoke pattern appears not, which would affect the pattern of rotation. Tires that are directionally asymmetrical generally have an arrow on them indicating the rolling orientation ... this necessitates a front-to-back rotation pattern, not side-to side. I suppose that if your tires are symmetrical and the wheels are not, it is conceivable that the tires could be re-mounted on rims from the other side. Hmmm.

Do the wheels have such an arrow?

2. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On the v3 they're not symmetrical, but also not directional. IOW all four tires are identical, and there is no arrow. That must mean two of them are going "backwards"?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

v5 also has asymmetrical wheels, and while I'm not positive about this, I believe all four are identical here too.
    [​IMG]

You mentioned limiting rotations - in the v Owner's Manual, it suggests that you only rotate front - rear, not between left and right. This would take care of directional tires, but the tires that came on my v are not directional, and I'm not aware of stock v tires that are directional.

I don't think it's too unusual to have four identical asymmetrical wheels - the hubcaps that came with my Vibe are the same way, and alloys that come on the nicer Vibes are too. It looks a little funny if you pay attention, but I doubt most people notice. I've owned directional tires, but I've never heard of directional rims... I'd be curious to see some if they exist!
    Andy

3. Adam H

Adam H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What are you guys talking about? The "spoke pattern" is decorative and has nothing to do with anything substantive.

4. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What? We can only discuss "substantive" stuff now? Can you enlighten us as to how that's defined? There has been plenty of discussion about whether the wheels (or hubcaps) affect fuel mileage. Is that substantive? There are also many threads, including this one, about the aesthetics of the wheels and the vehicle.
    Why shouldn't this be discussed, even if it's purely aesthetic, or simply to satisfy someone's curiosity?

5. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    [​IMG]

I always wondered what is the correct or proper way to install the wheel covers that have the design similar to the above picture. And I saw a documentary film showing the design with directional scoop to help cooling the brake. I noticed a few friends who had the covers mismatched on their cars (directional-wise of course), so I helped corrected them. I also noticed that not all the rim and wheel covers that have directional design offer the proper set with 2 matching directional ones. My 17" V rims are all the same even though they have "slightly" directional design which may aim at the look more than aerodynamic or air scooping function. Below are some more examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anewhouse likes this.