1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost crushed someone today!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mssmith95, Mar 29, 2006.

1. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Parked on a side street in downtown LA today. Came back to the car from the drivers side. Put it in reverse...checked the mirrors and backup camera.

Started backing up and out of nowhere a guy jumps up from the curb behind my car!

He was sitting just behind my car playing with an RC car. He was so close to the car, I never saw him and he must not have heard/saw me enter the car.

Since the ICE had not kicked on yet...I scared the you know what out of him when I started to move!

Good thing he had fast reflexes...and that I saw him when he jumped up!

I now know that I have to visually walk all the way around the car before backing up! Either that or let the ICE kick on.

2. slortz

slortz New Member

Good reason to have a back-up camera.
    I had a similar close call too backing out of a parking stall. I surprised a woman who didn't expect the car to move because she couldn't hear the engine.
    I was thinking it would be nice to have some sort of audible alert for people outside the car, after all they already made the beeping noise for inside the car when backing up.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    windows down, radio up. problem solved.

:D

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Especially relevant since the car kicks into reverse in a rather
    enthusiastic fashion, and if you aren't on the brake it like LEAPS
    backward. Rather annoying, in fact; reverse creep seems to be a
    bit stronger than forward creep. Oh, and of course couple that with
    the canonically rusty brake parts that cause them to grab and
    shudder and otherwise misbehave while you're attempting to rein in
    that headlong plunge into where you can't see..
    _H*

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another solution is to install your own back-up beeper for people outside your car to hear. Look at this post from Solar Powered for directions and part numbers. A super-simple mod and what the back-up beeper should have been from the factory.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh geez, you can't ruin it for the rest of us. :D

There's already been one news article about someone screaming about how quiet the car is when it's stealthing. All we need is for someone to actaully get hurt and then they will require that we hold down the horn every time we stealth. :lol:

7. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 29 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]232024[/snapback]</div>

I know! That is why it freaked me out a little! I would not want to be the Guinea pig in a lawsuit like that. I guess it could happen in any car, if you started it up and slammed it into reverse before the person could get up. This guys was not too bright. He had to have been within a foot or so of my back bumper...just out of site...I would have thought he was trying to do something to my car...but he did have an RC car with him with the remote in his hand.

I don't know if you guys remember that one car alarm that used to say "warning your are too close to the vehicle"...but I can imagine them installing one on the Prius that says "warning - STEALTH mode engaged - stand clear....woooooooosssshhhhhh" :rolleyes:

8. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 29 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]232024[/snapback]</div>
    I think a gently tinkling bell---something on the order of wind chimes---would be a good idea. Have it kick in when in stealth at any speed below, say, 25 MPH. Could be a marketing boon for the Prius, too.

Is it illegal to tinkle as you go slowly down the street?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. That happened to me waaay to many times already. I'm like god, if you're listening to your iPod, you figured you'd use your eyes more. Even if I do a 360° check, somehow, somewhere, somebody will pop into the rear window view when I start to reverse. I'm beginning to develop a habit of honking before reversing. Apparently that pisses people off when they're behind the car cause they think I'm asking them to hurry up when in fact I'm telling to start paying atttention and stop walking behind my car damn it!

10. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I can't believe [you] did such a thing!

11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Mar 29 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]232160[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. I know. [you] is really irresponsible about things like that. I've read posts by [you] on another thread and it just seems like [you] doesn't pay attention.

(Lovin' the upgrade, Danny).

12. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Mar 29 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]232163[/snapback]</div>
    Betelgeuse
    Betelgeuse
    Betelgeuse

What you are still here?!

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    god damn it [you]! You really gotta stop fooling around. Seriously, this should be in FHOP. Tsk tsk [you]. This calls for a time out mister!

14. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 29 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]232234[/snapback]</div>

Why FHOP? [you] told me to put it here!

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, where should I mount this cowbell so as to least screw with
    the aerodynamics?
    _H*

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I confess [you] went past that blind person standing on the corner, waiting to cross the street, with her white cain in front of her, in deep stealth mode, dry pavement, with traffic all around, and caused her to jump back because of the air hitting her from your passing. [you] resolves to touch the gas in the future to make noise. LOL's in the parking lot, well look out because you are fair game. My suggestion to you is carry a auto defibrillator, you will need it.

17. v.jones

v.jones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Mar 30 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]232740[/snapback]</div>
    Enough is enought ! Danny, can we get the ['you'] flag banished from all fora other than FHOP? As can be seen here, thread drift is hard enough to contain without its help.
    ['me']
    P.S. Note to hdrygas (not a 'you'ism), while she may have been 'raising cain' with her white cane, I tend to doubt that she named her cane Cain. Sheesh!

18. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why wasn't the reverse beeper standard on the outside of the car, where it's needed, but on the inside, where it's annoying as hell???

19. rocco

rocco Member

I work right SMACK dab in the middle of the university here - I don't have to tell ya how annoying that is - with almost hitting people. The students all walk around like they're the only ones on the planet anyway - but with my silent car I have to really really drive slowly.

20. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Mar 29 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]231969[/snapback]</div>

What this REALLY teaches is that you cannot ASSUME anything. Before backing, you should LOOK behind your car. This is particularly important when pedestrians are likely to be near. Doesn't matter if you have a stealth car or not. People are hard of hearing, people have conditions where they cannot move quickly. People can be passed out. YOU are responsible for where that car goes.