1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost had a head-on collision

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jiepsie, Apr 20, 2007.

1. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Just almost had a head-on collision with a pedestrian, on a parking lot. She was on the phone and not looking where she was going, saw me just in time and looked very surprised and confused at the same time...

2. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    thats good noone was hurt. Pedestrians can be a PITA sometime, myself included ;p. Were you backing out?

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

She probably thought damn those silent cars. I try to pay attention in parking lots as I have had people just walk in front of me without looking and then when they see me they act like what the heck is that. I even had one lady who walked out from behind a big suv I slammed my brakes on stopping only a couple of inches from her. The heifer looked at me and said I should be more careful of pedestrians and that my car was to quiet she couldn’t here it. Wth she didn’t even look around the vehicle before stepping out she just made a break for it. Had I not been driving extra slow and being very alert I would have hit her in any car.

4. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nark @ Apr 20 2007, 08:20 PM) [snapback]426876[/snapback]</div>
    No, just slowly finding my way to the exit (EV button on). Saw here coming and could have stopped in time if I needed to, she'd still walk into the car though.

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but I find it very anoying that pedestrians consider entire parking lots as one big crosswalk. They seem to think they have the absolute right of way to just walz right off the curb and expect you to stop and stop again and again for each additional pedestrian. Why can't they wait for a short second for someone who is burning old dinosours and trying to conserve them.

And what is with three or four walking side by side right down the middle of a parking isle? They know you are there, and they are just trying to control you.

6. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Apr 20 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]426887[/snapback]</div>
    i hate these people so i get real close to them and i do mean close.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Apr 20 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]426887[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, I really don't know about your exact location, but in MOST places Pedestrians do have complete, universal, 100% right of way over cars in parking lots.

Example from South Carolina

Section 56-5-3255. The driver of a motor vehicle traveling through a parking lot shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian walking through the parking lot. A person who violates this provision is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days.

8. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What was she doing on her hands and knees?

9. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 20 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]426898[/snapback]</div>
    You do know that this law does not give you the right to walk directly in front of a moving vehicle. If you walk from behind a beerier without looking and step directly in front of a car the driver is not at fault. Matter of fact they can get you with insurance fraud for this.

10. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not in a hurry in parking lots. In my experience, everyone who's in a hurry in a parking lot gets themselves into trouble, either hitting pedestrians, or hitting other cars.

11. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i turn on my ev mod in parking lots. the object is to try to get the pedestrians to run into your car. ;)

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i can't wait for the day someone just walks into the SIDE of my car... i don't think i'd even know what to do... give them hell for touching my nice black car or just laugh at their mortified reaction! :p

13. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 20 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]426942[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like a xanax might be needed if that happens.
    just dont know for who yet :)