1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost had one; first in line, but outbid.

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by JJay, Mar 18, 2004.

1. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We've been waiting since December 15th.

Our broker called today to say a dealer in the Portland, OR area has a Seaside blue AI #5 package Prius available today at $1000 over MSRP. I talk to my wife, and we agree that may be par for the current market.

Well, the long and short of it is that although we were first in line at $1000 over MSRP, the second guy in line is willing to pay the dealer $2000 over.
    Our broker's comment was along the lines of dealers' ethics going out the window when supply is short. He wouldn't say who the dealer was.

We didn't think it was worth that much and let it go. :(

2. miniracer

miniracer New Member

These are the stories that are just depressing. My dealer is selling at MSRP, or at least that's what he says. Who really knows?? Offer an extra $1000 to jump the line - the extra $$ goes in someone's pocket - who's to know? I've only been waiting 11 weeks - but when I get to the top of the list I really hope someone doesn't try to jerk me around. That wouldn't be pretty.

3. hedwig

hedwig New Member

People are going to get REALLY sick of me giving the same advice over and over, but it's fun. If you're willing to pay a little extra, start shopping around in outlying areas (you're in the Pacific Northwest, which is great because you're close to those Idaho/Wyoming/Montana areas that don't seem to have the heinous wait the rest of us were dealing with.) When I began to suspect that I was going to end up possibly paying more than MSRP, I started looking into those far-flung regions - costs the same as a markup to just have the car shipped to me (about $1000 for a 2300 mile transport) and I feel better about who's getting the money. You could even go pick it up and enjoy the cruise back (assuming that Montana or wherever to Oregon is an enjoyable drive....) If there's a concern about shipping the car, so far I'm pleased with my experience - they dispatched a driver within three days of my availability date and the car's on its way (and they gave me the driver's cell #, so I've talked to him and he knows who I am and what car I have, so that's a good sign.) Should be here Sunday, and if it is, then I would give 1st Choice Auto Shipping my full recommendation. There's my two cents. :)

4. jchu

jchu New Member

Somebody Else's 2 Cents,

I live in the Boise, Idaho Area, My wife couldn't wait. We ended up with just a 6 week wait going to Minnesota we we have family and friends

5. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all your suggestions!

We started calling and e-mailing the Toyota dealers in Washington and Oregon.
    The dealers that responded wanted $2000 to $3000 over MSRP for vehicles they hadn't gotten yet!

One of the threads here on Priuschat was about James Toyota on Moses Lake, WA. They got a Prius in on Thursday (March 25th) Pkg #5 in Driftwood for MSRP, and we jumped at it!

We drove up about 300 miles and picked it up on Saturday. It was worth the wait!

James Toyota said they delivered 3 last week; one they were shipping to New York! I don't know how they get so many!?! Ours actually came in the US through the Port of Portland (8 miles away).

Thanks again for your suggestions!

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Man, Moses Lake sure has gotten a lot of business from Washington-area PC members :)

What is the contact name & # or email address over there? I'd like to drop them a line.

7. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sales contact info:

Victor Alvarado
    James Toyota
    12056 N Frontage Rd. E.
    Moses Lake, WA 98837

509-765-4517
    e-mail: [email protected]

Victor even called me today to make sure everything was OK, he said to call if I had any questions!

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, Victor is actually a PriusChat member - I saw him sign up sometime late last week, but didn't know he was from James Toyota.

9. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He didn't tell me he was a Priuschat member either, but he said he was aware of Priuschat.

10. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

They are racking up the sales to Priuschat members...so it would make sense to check it out!

I think each of their Prii they have received so far has been sold to a Priuschat.com Member.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    High demand markup - capitalism at it's worst :-/

12. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Danny: The contact over there is Dave Sawyer. The phone is 509-765-4517.Tell them you've talked to Bob Allen. I think I was the first Pruis chat person to buy a car there, although Xo Larimer picked his up the day before I got there. They are great guys. Hope they keep selling Prii at MSRP and don't succomb to the greed hysteria.
    Nice seeing you in Seattle. Come again.
    Bob