1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost NEW 2007 Prius for sale

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by mrsgdlite, Sep 9, 2007.

1. mrsgdlite

mrsgdlite New Member

:( I am very sad to announce that I am going to have to part with my Prius. Let me start by saying I LOVE this car. I do NOT want to sell it but since my work situation has changed I really don't need it and can't justify the payment. I am a home care nurse and bought my Prius brand new June 21. IT is a silver metallic package 6 with black leather, prius logo floor mats, cargo mat, color keyed mud guards front and rear, and 35% tint on all windows, including the strip on the windshield. It has been garage kept and not smoked in for the short time I have had it. It has about 7200 miles on it. All of these are highway miles, traveling to and from patients homes. I have been promoted to the office and will only be travelling about 50 miles a day instead of 100-150, since I won't be getting mileage reimbursement (which is what I was using to make the car payment) I am looking to find something cheaper. I live in West TN and would be willing to meet someone for pickup of the car. I really need $28,600 to pay it off. If anyone is interested you can email me at [email protected] or send me a message on here or post. This car is like brand new. There are no defects at all.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $28,600 to pay it off!! Good luck...Brand new '08 goes for that or less with 0 miles. You have to take depreciation into consideration. You're likely not going to be able to sell for more than $24k, maybe $25k if you find someone desperate for just that model.

If you drive 50 miles per day you're still going to be doing the best thing keeping the Prius, IMO, for yourself for the long term, for the environment for the long term, and financially more than likely.

Anyway, good luck.

3. mrsgdlite

mrsgdlite New Member

I know payoff is high but I won't sell if I can't pay it off. I would be better off to keep it. The reason payoff is high is because I had the windows tinted and mudguards put on at dealership before I picked it up. I knew if I didn't get everything done before I picked it up it would never get done. I really didn't know if the 08's were out yet. When I bought mine you couldn't find one anywhere. I saw one like mine listed on ebay today with 18k mi listed at $28,900 buy it now. It didn't even have tinted windows or the mud guards. If I can get payoff it will sell, if not I will continue to drive the car I love.

4. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrsgdlite @ Sep 9 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]509784[/snapback]</div>

I'm not surprised... some people on Ebay are not very smart (to say the least). Everyone knows, that a car depreciates by at least 20% the moment you take it off the lot. I bought mine '07 fully loaded Touring for $27K and others have bought the same car for as little as $25,500. You can sell the car for $21K, maybe as much as $24 IF extremely LUCKY.
    Just keep it! You're stuck with it and in the long run it will make sense. You would still have saved money, if you keep it for a good few years. 50 miles a day is still two times more than what the average commute in the US is.

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If your goal is not to sell for less than you owe, I feel very confident you will be keeping the car, but at 50 miles a day, you will still be saving a gallon of gas every day over a car that gets 25 MPG, and at 20 days per month, that is $60 per month you can put straight to you car payment.

6. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I paid less than that out the door with 19 miles.

7. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inches @ Sep 10 2007, 02:52 AM) [snapback]509952[/snapback]</div>
    Me too. A lot less. With 3 miles on the odometer, and that after the test drive. :mellow:

8. mrsgdlite

mrsgdlite New Member

I understand some were able to actually get a good deal on their Prius. When I bought mine, they were scarce to say the least and you paid sticker, then after adding the additional options the price was bumped up. I will be happy to keep the car but with the payment and insurance it costs about $650/mo and I am not justifying since I am no longer getting paid to drive. I was making enough in mileage every month to justify that payment. Now it is a hard justification.

I appreciate everyone's input, and I know ya'll think I'm crazy. I can get a Matrix or Vibe that gets 36mi/gal with a payment of $330. That is what I had 2 years ago.

9. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrsgdlite @ Sep 10 2007, 05:09 AM) [snapback]509977[/snapback]</div>
    If that $330 payment accounts for the rollover of the $4600 to $7600 of inequity that you have in the Prius, then that might be a smart move given your situation. If not, it is obviously something to consider when thinking about selling the Prius.

I don't think anyone here thinks that you are crazy, or is trying to beat up on you, we are just giving you our take on the realistic current market value of your Prius and how that may make keeping it the most financially prudent move.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. :)

10. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So your "promotion" was actually a demotion in overall pay if you include your mileage, right? Otherwise you wouldn't need to sell. My wife is also a home health nurse and that $.48/mile sure is helpful, especially when driving the Prius. I hope this all works out for the best for you.

PA P

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have my sympathy.

Potential car buyers should note how easily one can get screwed by borrowing money for a new car, especially one with lots of dealer add-ons.

12. mrsgdlite

mrsgdlite New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA Prius @ Sep 10 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]509992[/snapback]</div>
    You are right, I am actually going to lose money going into the office. But, after 12 years on the road, my body needs a break.

13. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrsgdlite @ Sep 10 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]510282[/snapback]</div>
    Understandable.

Maybe you can find a used Prius or someone who wants to trade up a few years. We got our '04 a year and a half ago with 41,000 miles on it for $16,500. It now has 75,000 miles on and has worked perfectly for us.

PA P

14. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Way to many poeple get into cars with add-ons and end up upside down. I feel sorry for your situation; but expecting to get 28K for a car with 7K miles on it is kind of unrealistic. I do not know about anywhere else in the USA, but the Prius is not tough to get in CA. Heck, you can't drive a block without seeing one in the Bay Area. I still see them sitting on the lots at dealerships waiting for buyers. Good luck.

15. mrsgdlite

mrsgdlite New Member

[There are more on the lots now than when I bought. I started looking at the Prius in May and they were everywhere. The large lots had 20-30 of them. When I actually decided on one, (in June) they had disappeared. I had to search every dealership in 8 states and only found one in reasonable driving distance in stock. Lots of dealerships had them on order, and the few I found close by were package #1 or #2. No package #6. When I did find one, I had to drive over 100 miles one way to pick it up and settle for a color other than what I really wanted. I thought I was going to have to fly to FL to get one. Oh well, like I said before, I won't be heartbroken to keep it. I do love the car. Probably the only way it will be sold is if my MIL decides she wants it.

16. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrsgdlite @ Sep 10 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]510400[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure you want to sell it at such a high price to your MIL? If she figures out she paid you too much, it probably wouldn't have a good impact on your relationship with her.

You may come out better hanging on to it. Even if you sold it at $24,000, be sure to add your $4,000 loss to the price of the Matrix. On top of that, you'll be driving a Matrix. <_<

17. jeffn

jeffn New Member

18. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered my '06 Magnetic Grey pkg. 8 in Feb '06 before the Magnetic Grey was even in existence. It was delivered to the dealer exactly as ordered with 8 miles on it at the beginning of May '06 when the Magnetic Grey's were finally released and I paid less than that (about $27,380 to be more specific). If someone is desperate for your specific package, year and color then you might be able to get what you are asking, otherwise I agree with others that you'll put around $60 a month straight to your Prius payment and just keep it for a while, maybe until the new Prius comes out.