1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alpha Therm windsheild washer heater unit, anyone installed one yet, and how?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 1Greensix, Aug 12, 2012.

1. 1Greensix

1Greensix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Winter will soon be here and I'd like to know if anyone has installed an windshield fluid heater unit by Alpha Therm, and if so, does it really work well and how did you install it?

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have not installed it.

Last winter we experienced -20F. We routinely experience -20F as about the lowest temp we get here.

Since we see -20F, and we have not seen any need for such a device; I feel I must ask "how cool do you expect to experience?"

3. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see a few issues with this concept as well...windshield washer fluid has some alcohol I n it no? When heated alcohol is more volatile and will evaporate.

And at temps of -20 F, that liquid will virtually freeze instantly as it hits your windshield. Your best defense against freezing windshield fluid is a warm engine and a warm windshield.

4. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would think as soon as the fluid comes out of the nozzle, the small droplets will be instantly cooled back down as soon as they hit the cold air before even hitting the windshield.

I remember GM had this gimmick on some of their cars a few years ago when I was looking at one. I guess if the shifted the money from hot washer fluid to R&D they might be better off. Who knows...

5. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Also keep in mind that when it gets cool outside, and you have a layer of ice on your windshield; you must warm your windshield slowly.

If you turn on the engine to let it warm, and wait for it to be warm before turning on the defrost; the hot air blowing on the windshield will most likely crack the windshield.

I have cracked two windshields doing this by accident. You must turn on the defrost when the engine is still cold, so the air slowly warms up.

My pickup now still have a crack from turning the defrost temp up high.

Whenever the glass is cool enough for ice to stick; it is cool enough that hot air blowing on it can crack it.

I do not know how the Prius handles this problem. Our Prius has not cracked it's windshield yet.

Keep in mind that you do not want to heat the windshield too quickly. :)