1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

alpine system from my current car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by morganzola, Mar 28, 2006.

1. morganzola

morganzola New Member

I've been looking around for the speaker sizes/dimensions of the prius (2006) because I'd like to transfer the system I have in my '99 mitsubishi eclipse to my '06 prius. (I don't have the prius, yet - I'm waiting.) I'm going to sell the eclipse after I transfer the system, but I'd like to know if I can even transfer the system... otherwise I'd have to sell it with the eclipse.

I know there are audiophiles out there that own prius's. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I could find out if my alpines fit for sure?

I have four 6.5"s - Alpine S speakers and I don't know if they'll fit in the prius doors?

(I also have alpine subs, amps, deck and ipod connector kit. Such a great system, I don't want to sell it.)

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Alpine 6.5" (coaxials, I assume) will fit fine in both front & rear factory door locations; but you'll probably want to upgrade the factory tweeters (front only in the non-JBL system, rears too in the JBL version) as well. This is usually accomplished with a set of component speakers, but it's possible to just add a tweeter to your coaxials (using an aftermarket tweet with a capacitor).

The subwoofer can be integrated as well, but you'll probably want to build a new Prius-specific enclosure...there's several good posts here on PriusChat discussing that topic (see eagle33199's posting from 3/24/06).

Adding the amp is also possible; however, if you want to maintain the use of the steering wheel controls and integration of the stereo with the multi-function display, you'll probably want to keep the factory head unit (your Alpine can't do all that....I know, I've got a nice Kenwood Excelon head unit collecting dust!)
    To do that, you'll need a line output converter (also several good posts on that topic).

Good luck.....BTW, you'll definately want to upgrade the Factory system based on what you're used to listening to!

3. morganzola

morganzola New Member

yep, they're coaxials. all prius stock stuff will go if i can get my alpines in. thanks so much for your help and advice. i'll check out those posts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Mar 28 2006, 06:25 AM) [snapback]231319[/snapback]</div>