1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Altairnano batteries tested

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zchehab, Dec 5, 2006.

1. zchehab

zchehab New Member

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Safety:
    Li-Ion:
    Over charging, overheating, or puncturing can lead to a breakdown of the membrane between the anode and cathode. the two compounds react violently to each other, leading to thermal run-away (IOW, your laptop catches on fire).

Altairnano:
    Replace the graphite Anode with a new compound - slightly decreased performance (it hold less charge), but it's more structured, allowing for longer battery life (recharging cycles), and doesn't chemically react with the cathode - so over heating, over charging, or puncturing doesn't pose a risk.

Price: I believe they're a bit expensive, but i haven't seen a price list from them

FWIW, i think they're a great company, and i really hope the Pheonix cars do well - it'll help to propel their battery technology into bigger companies and bring PHEV's to all of us.

3. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read their white papers, and I am very excited by these batteries. These could be the most significant advance in battery storage in just about ever... Many companies make claims of extraordinary accomplishments, but are often just blowing smoke. Their white papers go into an extraordinary amount of detail, and that just lends them more credibility in my mind. I sure do hope these see mass market!

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not only do the white papers lend them credibility, but the fact that they're out there in a limited production environment really helps - 500 cars next year is a great number to start with...

Better buy the stock now, cause a year from now it's gonna be going up, up up! :lol:

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

These are the batteries we have been waiting for!

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member