1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alterative Fuel Fair in Lacy

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by hdrygas, Jan 24, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Come one came all. We have been invited to return to the Alternative Fuel Fair in Lacy again this year. You people who were there must have behaved yourselves last year, they want us back. I just spoke with the coordinator at Lacy Parks. I know Frank and Dave were there, talk to them it is a good time. We can spread the word, answer questions and show off our cars. The MiniScanner was a big hit the CAN-View will go over well. I am going to build it into the schedule so I can be there. I hope to have Norm there and hook him up with Mike the Ifix’em guy. The Fair will feature Hybrids of all stripes, Bio Diesel, electric cars and the climax is an electric car race. The cars are built by local High school, and College teams. Never been to the Indy 500 well this is almost as good!! Start PM me and let me know and I will keep Lacy Parks posted.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I have the weekend off (unless someone get sick or dies). Now lets hear from the rest of you!!!

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok was gonna ask when it was...until i read the title of the thread. shouldnt be a problem for me and its a blast, lots of stuff to see.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm. Tell me more about this fair. May might be possible. Nice weather, good roads, still too early for mountain hiking up around Lake Kootenay. mapquest says it's a 5-hour drive. Kinda far for me, but maybe...

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    daniel its a alternative fuel fair where battery, bio, ethanol, solar, wind,(yes i said wind) and several other options are displayed in working vehicles with the owners available to answer questions. there is also an electric car rally race. (these are go-cart like thingys so your Prius is ineligible...besides most of the categories must be homemade anyways)

last year it was a blast, the weather started out typical, bit foggy at first, but the sun came out mid-morning and the weather turned out to be perfect... probably mid 60's. a great time. come out, meet a few Priuschatters... or re-meet them... really hoping that Norm (CANVIEW guy) comes out this year

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds good, Dave. I Googled it and found a 428 MB video of the race. I know about wind-powered vehicles, because I served as a crew member on one for a week about 5 years ago. I think they are more practical on water than on land. I've seen videos of ice boats. And I've heard jokes about wind-powered automobiles. Less practical, I would think, because you can't really tack on the freeway.

Somewhere, once upon a time, someone posted a picture of a Prius with a windmill on it. Maybe 20 feet tall. Photoshopped, I suppose, though it could have been done with scissors. The forward motion of the Prius turns the windmill, which generates electricity, which powers the Prius. Yeah, I know... but it was a cool picture.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Say, Dave, speaking of CANVIEW, I know basically, more or less, what it does. But what does it look like? And how does it attach to the car? Is it a stand-alone device, or does it show up on the MFD? Does it take a tech to install it? Can you post a picture of it, or post a link to a picture?

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    CANVIEW is a little metal box slightly larger than say a pack of cigarettes. one end plugs into the back of the MFD, the other plugs into the CAN bus which is just to the right of the steering wheel under dash.

its an awesome tool that Norm is currently working on expanding. ive only had it a few months and its increased its information by close to a ¼. well worth the money. buy the flash unit too. (it really shouldnt be sold without one. there is no real technical expertise needed to update your own unit)

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. I want one!!!!!!!!! But I don't want to install it. Any thoughts? Might this guy do installations if I meet him in Lacy? Do Toyota dealers ever install this kind of stuff?

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you can do it in 30 mins. you dont have NAV as i remember... so it will be harder...then again, i dont have NAV either and i always assume that the option not chosen is harder (makes me feel better about myself) or not as good... so on that point, i may not be right. but neither is difficult. did you do an EV switch?? about the same really.

besides if you come to the fair, you will have plenty of help. heck Frank is a mechanic, he will most likely be there. he shows up for everything. (he also drives the farthest.. a real Prius Troubadour) i can help you. its pretty easy.

*EDIT*

actually Mike (ifixem) is the Prius mechanic at Toyota of Olympia, he will do it for you if you absolutely dont want to try it. i think he might have done Henry's. he also does Coastaltech EV's and stuff. he really dug Henry and my CANVIEWS when we met with him last month.

12. Frank Hudon

if you buy one and bring it to Lacey I'll put it in for you. Only tools needed are a phillips screw driver and a set of wire cutters and pliers and a 10mm nut driver. If you want I'll do an install like on the wife's 2k4 and put it behind the hump cover as I found that above the glove box tends to fall down every now and then. Yes if your considering buying one get the Flashblaster2 module so you can update it.

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would like to see both Frank and Norm there. I was going to call the contact person again next week. I think we can count on at least 5-6 cars at this point. I was going to invite Mike to come when I see him on Monday. I put in the CAN View it was very easy. I am going to have Mike run the wires for the backup camera. That looked like more than I wanted to try. I don't know if can come but I would think that a Prius Tech there would be nice!

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The CANVIEW web site has a link to a PDF file with instructions on getting the MFD out, with a view to getting at the stereo, but for the CANVIEW you just stop there. It looks pretty harrowing to me. I'm rather a klutz. I did install the Costal Tech EV switch. Dave, I think you did one of the DIY versions, didn't you? I'd have prefered an actual button but didn't feel up to the complexity of the project. As it was, I came close to quitting. The short, tight, wire bundles were a real hair-puller, and I'm not entirely sure I ever got the pin completely seated, though the switch has worked fine ever since.

I think I'll go ahead and get the CANVIEW, and worry later about getting it installed. May is a long ways off, so getting one of you guys to help may be a last resort if everything else fails.

Oh, and no, I don't have the NAV. (Though I bought a Street Pilot after moving to Spokane, and it's great.)

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I emailed Norm. He thinks the Flashblaster is unnecessary, as he anticipates no important software improvements in the near future. As soon as I hear back from him regarding whether the external programming adapter card is something I really need or not, I'm going to send him the money, and he says he'd get around to building mine in about a week. And I suppose another week for it to arrive by mail, though in retrospect I might ask him to send it by second-day UPS if that's an option.

Meanwhile, Frank has mailed me a DVD of the installation process, which will help me decide if I want to attempt that. Thanks again, Frank.

Now it's my nap time...

16. Frank Hudon

well if you can believe it there is no--yes--no UPS where he lives and the unit he mailed to Evan arrived in like 5 day's or there abouts. Wait and see the time for the DVD and judge from that. Worse comes to worst possibly Henry or Dave if you mail the module to them would flash it for you and mail back. For that matter send it to Norm and he'll re-flash for you as well. Or mail it to me and I'll do it.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, I can believe that. So I'll just have to be patient. I'm not getting the FlashBlaster or the adapter card. I can always get those later if I want. But unless there turns out to be a bug in the software, I think I'll be happy with the unit as it is for as long as I own the car (which will only be until they come out with the next major model revision (I'm guessing somewhere between 2008 and 2010) (?))

I've sent him the money... he said he's get around to it in about a week.

18. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I will be at the Fair again and this year I can stay for the full day. Look forward to seeing those I met last year and all new comers. It is a fun Fair, the Prius wan't be as new to the public as last year but I doubt that the questions will change any. Get us plenty of parking.

Bob

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am making the call I would think 5-7 at this point. I asked Ifixe'm, he said he would put it on his calendar. I hope Frank will prevail on Norm but I am going to send him an Email to formally invite him.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well if parking is a problem... i could walk over... should take about 15 minutes.