1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternate iPhone 3GS adapter to Toyota's iPod adapter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by yortch, Jul 8, 2009.

1. yortch

yortch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I finally ended up settling for the http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-LiquidAUX-Auxiliary-Remote-iPhone/dp/B0011UK2HE and I'm loving it! It works surprisingly well with iPhone 3GS. I do not get the "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone" warning and the remote control works really well.

I think this is a superior solution for iPhone than the iPod adapter sold by Toyota in 2 ways: you will not get the "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone" warning; and your iPhone will not be "concealed" inside the glovebox.

Attached Files:

2. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As you experiment, I hope I can ask you some questions. I have a 3GS and I'm picking up my series IV later this month. Does the Kensington adapter permit the iPhone to work through the Prius hands free system or just provide power? Will the iPod functions work through the stereo system? Thanks.

TK

3. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been doing some research before I get my III and I'm pretty certain that the only way to get the iPhone to work with the in car controls are:
    1. Use bluetooth. This only allows use of the play/pause buttons though.
    2. Use a dedicated ipod interfacesuch as the one coming out soon for the Prius.
    The Kensington unit from the above post and any unit (like the Griffin I use) that plugs into the audio jack can not be controlled via the head unit.

1 person likes this.
  4. steviet

steviet New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have had this unit for a year now, for my 3G iPhone. It will sometimes give you an 'Accessory not Supported' message. Even if it does, cancel the message and everything works as advertised. I think it has something to do with when you hook up the iPhone and when power is applied to the connector. But all in in all it's been a great product. Waiting for TomToms device/software to come out to check that out.

Steve

5. yortch

yortch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You cannot control the Turn off signatures in Tapatalk the car stereo, but it provides a remote control which can be attached to the steering wheel and allows you to play/stop, forward and backward songs.

It also does not interface with bluetooth at all. My understanding is that the iPhone OS 3.1 update will let you send voice commands through bluetooth so if that holds true, you should be able to do this just with the built in bluetooth in the Prius IV.

1 person likes this.
  6. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've had this unit for over a year also and it works as advertised in both my Gen II and Gen III.

7. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I have a question for you: Does it stop the song when you turn the car off and resumes from where it stopped when you turn it back on? Thanks.

8. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think I'll wait until the iPod interface accessory comes out, I've seen there will be September availability, to see how and if this will work with iPhone/iPod.

Thanks, TK

9. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This will be a better solution, though a lot more expensive, for those who have a models with NAV system. Just a reminder, people with non-NAV Prius 3 or above, like myself, who choose to install the iPod adapter PriusChat Shop : 2010 Toyota Prius OEM iPod Interface Integration Kit [PT545-00082] - $209.99, will have to give up the satellite radio... not good.

10. seanu

seanu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, if I follow you Indyking, if I HAVE Nav and use this, I KEEP my satellite radio? I hope so that would be awesome!

11. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have NAV, you would be better off installing the Toyota IPod adapter available at September. I'm not sure what the cost for that one is but I suspect around 300-400 installed. Anyway, that will allow you full integration with the Prius sound system.

For those with non-NAV like my Prius 3, the adapter available in the priuschat store can only be installed at the expense of satellite radio, which, for me, is not an option. I prefer run my IPod though the aux jack and keep my satellite radio. That's where the Kensington IPod adapter proposed by the OP comes really handy, because it will allow charging the IPod (not possible through aux jack connection) plus wireless control via the remote attached to the steering wheel. The only thing I don't know is that if the Kensington adapter stops the song and resumes it when the car is powered off and back on (that's my question above). Also, keep in mind, that the Kensington adapter will not be integrated with the Prius sound system. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  12. jon_lin

jon_lin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have this same adaptor as well, but the Deluxe version with a little "stand" that makes it stick out of the cig lighter (look up "Kensington LiquidAUX Deluxe for iPhone and iPod").

The iPhone automatically stops playing (aka pauses) when power to the cig lighter turns off. You have to manually hit play to turn it back on when you get in.

If you have a bluetooth headset and recieve a call, it works flawlessly. It pauses the music, and goes from outputting audio from aux cable to the bluetooth headshet for the call, and automatically starts playing music right when you hang up. I don't need more integration than that!

However, those hoping to use the phone to channel out audio to the speakers during the call will be disappointed, as it does not work. Also, you will be occassionally annoyed when the device does not not to recognize your iPhone without frequent unplugging/replugging.

Also, you might need a better place to put the remote itself on the wheel.

Recommended.

13. paranoidandroid

paranoidandroid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys, I use a similar Belkin product. Do any of you notice a hissing when listening to the music?

14. theowl

theowl Prius Convert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm loving the BT streaming audio through my iPhone, but my iPhone is my personal only phone and I have to do a lot of work calls in my car. So, having to switch back and forth between my iPhone for BT streaming audio and my work phone for calls is becoming tiresome and tedious. So, I am really looking forward to the expected iPod adapter in September and hope it will be reasonably priced and not mess up the XM sat radio.

15. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

16. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How is the quality of sound with BT streaming compared with aux jack connection? Have you tried? Just curious...

17. mjwestrick

mjwestrick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you have a Nav system, you should be able to use Bluetooth's A2DP profile to wirelessly stream music to your system. Then just use any iPhone/iPod charger adapter to charge your phone. You'll be able to control the iPhone from either the Nav screen or from the iPhone itself.

Apple added support for A2DP in the 3.0 software update, and it should work on all iPhone's with the software update installed.

18. theowl

theowl Prius Convert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Indyking, the sound quality seems to me to be the same for BT steaming and aux jack.

19. jon_lin

jon_lin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly. Everything is controlled by the iPhone, which if you think about it, is almost ideal, since everything audio-related is now controlled by a central piece and makes the Prius stereo redundant except for volume control.

@paranoidandroid - No, no buzzing for me.

20. yortch

yortch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually I considered the deluxe version first but I don't think I could get it installed and have the iPhone within reach because of where the 2 power ports are located. Are you using the deluxe version on a Prius?