1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternative 15" tire sizes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Brian Porter, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Brian Porter

Brian Porter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm considering a 215/60/15 to replace the 195/65/15s on my stock 2010 Prius III but unsure if I'll see clearance issues with the increased tire's width. Anyone have experience to share?

Thank you,
    Brian

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the proper Gen III forum from the Prius v forums.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One of the stock tires, on the Prius 5 in the States, and Prius Touring in Canada, is 215/45R17. Same width as what you're considering, and slightly smaller diameter. So I'm sure it would be fine. The OD would be very close.

Personally, I would stick with stock though, just seems too minor a tweak, with possible mpg penalty.

4. Brian Porter

Brian Porter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the quick reply Mendel. Miata.net has an excellent calculator here to compare tire sizes.

I was interested in improving the handling characteristics but was unsure if I'd have enough clearance for a .5" larger diameter tire. While I'd hate to make the car slower, the Prius could use more tire. Provided the larger tire wasn't substantially heavier, an extra 20mm in width (if actual) would make a notable difference in wet/dry grip. With my driving style, I'm sure they'll last longer too.

Another thing is availability.. There seems to be more tires (that I prefer) in the 215/60/15 size than 195/65/15 size - go figure.

Now, if only that CVT transmission could handle an extra 150hp, my friend and I would have a use for his old (smallish) Mitsubishi turbocharger kicking around his shop. :)