1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternative Fuel

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by chiprius, Apr 28, 2006.

1. chiprius

chiprius New Member

Hi all,

I know we are all trying to save fuel and the environment and that this is partially why so many of us drive what we do. I was reading about alternative fuels last night specifically biodiesel. I thinks that a biodiesel hybrid would be another great option especially if it is PHEV. I came across an article that talks about using algae as a means of creating oil for diesel powered engines. The article is a little long but it covers everything from how much would be needed to its feasibility to how much it would cost.

Here is the link http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/article_alge.html

Any comments?

Chiprius

2. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm sold. I think farmers should just start doing and form a cooperative to make fuel for themselves. Then everybody will be like, "Why are farmers drivng around in 75 MPH combines?" and some smart guy will anawer, "Because they can, they grow thier own fuel." And then peolpe will be like, "I want to be a farmer and drive big fast trucks and pay 25 cents a gallon." The ensuing jealousy will create change.

3. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chiprius @ Apr 28 2006, 04:34 AM) [snapback]246554[/snapback]</div>
    Biodiesel has a lot of promise. I'd be happy to drive a diesel PHEV with the quality of the Prius. We have a lot of cars running on it locally. They are working out the issues with gelling at low temps, but overall, it works well. We can get it at the pump at some locations and it costs about the same or less than regular diesel. Price will go down as the source of oil becomes more local and raw materials transportation costs comes down. I'm happy to see that WA state is getting behind this. The WA state ferry system has started using it on its boats and there are test programs now in place to encourage eastern WA farmers to grow rape seed in rotation with wheat crops. The algae made oil is also being studied by SeattleBiodiesel. They are pioneers in the field, making 5 million gal. per yr. and doing good work.
    http://www.seattlebiodiesel.com/

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Check out my life partner's web site: "www.biolyle.com"
    Bob