1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternative Therapy for Wound Care

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by RobH, Aug 2, 2009.

1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    **Posts moved from TJandGenesis thread.
    I didn't say to stop any of the current therapies. What I did say was to research them and to consider other therapies that come up with that research.

One therapy that I failed to mention is the use of light, both visible and infrared. My endocrinologist has an Anodyne machine that he uses on diabetic ulcers and other slow healing wounds. More info at The Official Site of the Manufacturer of Anodyne Therapy Systems and NIR infrared therapy offers the latest in PILT technology bringing relief painful numb feet that have resulted from poor circulation - What Infrared Therapy Does

Because of all the profit motives and regulatory overkill, these machines are quite expensive. One alternative is to expose the sore to the mid-day sun. Nobody's figured out how to charge for that one yet. Don't use any sun blocks, and don't exceed your personal direct sun tolerance. About 10-15 minutes per day should be useful without any worry of getting sunburn.

Consider a device like the "Dual LED Array" at LED light therapy accelerated healing pain reduction red near infrared . It is a consumer device priced at about $125. Most of the other products there smell like a waste of money, but the LED technology is real. Beware units that produce too much heat (test them on an area where you have good sensation before risking an area with neuropathy).

My endocrinologist says that he doesn't have to send any of his patients to the hospital anymore since he learned to use therapies like arginine/citruline, high dose vitamin D3, and the Anodyne machine. Of course he also uses traditional therapies like metformin and insulin. Byetta is a regenerative drug that he is quite excited about, although about 1/3 of the people who try it have unacceptable nausea problems. Maybe the once-a-week version coming out soon will work for more people.

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: So I'm about to lose my right foot.

I love it. The $100 a visit doctor can't handle it, so you go to a $400 a visit doctor who puts honey on the wound. Your grandmother probably knew about using honey on wounds. My question is just how much better is this manuka honey than the stuff you could buy at the local farmer's market?

I had a similar experience with several doctors. The standard one wanted to put me on a cocktail of blood pressure medicines for life. I went to a $400 a visit one, and he puts me on arginine and citruline, something body builders have been using for decades. The arginine/citruline clears plaque from the arteries at about 10% a year. Most important, it stops any increase in the problem.

From what I have heard/observed of Dr. Prendergast's experience with arginine/citruline, just about everyone would benefit from taking it. His diabetic patients don't lose their toes and eyes anymore. A cardiologist called him up to ask if he'd offended him somehow. No, the patients just weren't progressing to a point that they needed a cardiologist any more.

To make a long story shorter, there was a Nobel Prize awarded in 1998 for the discovery of the importance of nitric oxide in vascular metabolism. Dr. Prendergast learned about the nitric oxide work through contacts with people doing research in preventive cardiology at Stanford University. He applied the research results to himself, and went from having extensive atherosclerosis to having the arteries of a teenager. Two CT scans ten years apart showed the complete reversal of vascular calcification. Experience with about 5000 patients since then indicates that it was not just an individual reaction, but a general one worth applying to essentially all of his patients.

You can learn more about Nobel Prize winner Dr. Ignaro and his recommended treatments at :: Dr Louis Ignarro :: . He recommends a number of supplements, but the 5 grams of arginine and 1 gram of citruline a day is the Nobel Prize related recommendation.

Dr. Prendergast's clinic website is Endocrine Metabolic Medical Center . Follow the "Resources" tab for info about diabetes. I particularly like his 20 minute video at Dr. Joe's E-News - A Diabetes Newsletter: D3, L-arginine and Cancer .

You don't have to visit either doctor to get the benefits that they've found from arginine. Their websites have a lot of useful data, particularly for people with diabetes, vascular problems, or cancer.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

definitely something worth checking into.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I said that your grandmother probably knew about using honey on wounds. Well, it goes back a bit further than that. A whole lot further.

An article by Dr. Julian Whitaker was just posted to the web at The Sweet Art of Healing

So apparently we are relearning what was known 5000 years ago. Honey is good stuff.:rockon:

But I have some reservations about cat dung...:suspicious:

1 person likes this.
  5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

clinical data for honey show modest improvement in wound healing rate with honey compared to the typical standard of care. but we're talking about an improvement from 33% to 44% in a very specific type of wound. by all means, go for it.

from what i'm seeing, the arginine benefits are overblown. a clinical study found 3 g/hour orally led to minor reductions in blood pressure in mild hypotensive diabetics, and effects were lost 1 hour after cessation of oral administration. yes, i just read the pnas ignarro paper in rabbits and feel his conclusions are too broad for his data. (and he did not disclose the conflict of interest.)

1 person likes this.
  6. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Interesting stuff.I have a friend who refuses to take hypertension meds and is trying natural methods to lower blood pressure.
    Just sent him the link.I think Ill try the regimen myself.

1 person likes this.
  7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

The article I referenced also mentions that honey has been effective on MRSA infections. The antibiotic age may well pass before the oil age does. When bugs develop that are resistant to all of our antibiotics, including the latest ones, then we can either die or use something else that is effective. Honey, sugar, maggots, enzymes, vitamins C & D, and quite a number of other materials are already known to be useful against the things that we currently treat almost exclusively with antibiotics. I'm all for new products that work, but I think we're going to have to also reach back to older ones that have been forgotten.

No argument that arginine alone is short acting and has only a minor effect on BP. Adding citruline, at about 1/5 the quantity by weight, extends the activity out to 36 hours.

The healing effect of arginine is different than the BP reducing effect. If all one wants to do is to reduce the number on a BP machine, there are many better materials available. Zeroing out a calcium score is a big deal, and I haven't heard of anyone else besides Dr. Prendergast who has CT scan evidence of such a major reversal. Twenty years ago the medical goal was to slow down the accumulation of plaques. Actually getting rid of them was unheard of.

The major tracking device that Dr. Prendergast uses is the CVProfilor. It collects data on the shape of a pulse wave, and derives arterial flexibility indexes from that shape. The traditionally measured systolic/diastolic pressures are just two points on the curve.

Measuring progress with the CVProfilor enabled the determination that 3 grams of arginine a day is not enough for some people. 5 grams provides improved endothelial function in 90%+ of people with coronary artery disease. Personally, I take a tablespoon of arginine plus a half-teaspoon of citruline a day, sometimes twice a day. This figures out to about 10 grams of arginine, 2 grams of citruline. I pay about $0.92 per 10 gram serving (double the recommended dose). Premixed brews cost a lot more, so I use bulk powders instead.
    The last time I saw Dr. Prendergast, he ducked out of the room for a while to handle something. While he was out, I used his BP machine and collected maybe a dozen blood pressure readings. The high number bounced around between 140 and 160. When he returned I asked which reading was correct, and he replied "none of them". He finds the traditional systolic/diastolic numbers to be at best a distraction from a real diagnosis. The CVProfilor machine gives him a better sense of arterial condition, but even it is just one machine. He's really interested in various measures of inflammation, particularly of the arterial wall.

So I recommend the arginine/citruline protocol as a way to heal arteries. It's not very dramatic in terms of reducing the numbers on a BP device.

Dr. Prendergast gave a talk at Smart Life Forum several years ago. The video of it can be accessed from the page at 2007/02 - Smart Life Forum . It's available in large, small, and audio-only versions, and is over an hour long. One of the comments he makes is that about 1/3 of his patients on Byetta are no longer diabetic after 2 years of treatment.

1 person likes this.
  8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

the problem with implementing this more widely is that the MRSA claim is based upon case reports and not large clinical trials. case reports are what we call the bottom of the barrel in scientific evidence.

i see no published evidence of this. while i can see the logical effect of adding a reaction product to slow down metabolism of the active compound, i also do not see evidence of significant extension of efficacy time.

but i see no published evidence that you actually get rid of them once they have accumulated. ignarro claimed that one could get rid of plaques, but did not run an experiment to test that. all of his research animals were fed arginine/citrulline during a high-cholesterol diet. this does not test recovery from existing plaques, it tests prevention of plaque accumulation- which is why i said his claims were far too broad for his data. my opinion of his scientific integrity dropped considerably when i found he failed to disclose that he was involved in marketing of this therapy when he submitted the data for publication. PNAS is a little iffy that way in the first place, but that's just way out there.

alright, well you get me some non-anecdotal evidence and i'll consider the viewpoint. so far i have seen nothing in my literature searches to convince me in the least.

1 person likes this.
  9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

thanks for the clarification. my family consists of two basic professions, medical and auto... the medical half has heard absolutely nothing about this treatment. was beginning to doubt them as a source of info.... ah!! its great to once again feel good about family ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

MDs dont necessarily know much or anything about nutrition or supplements.
    Rare to find an MD who knows that zinc is good for a sore throat.
    Ill try it .The website says it can lower blood pressure 10-60 pts.If it doesnt work or if I dont feel any different theres no big loss.
    Im a big fan of the effects of Nitric Oxide anyway.

1 person likes this.
  11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

The description I've heard is that the citrulline recycles the arginine. So while a time release spreads out the dosage, recycling allows the original dose to be used repeatedly, but with loses. In this case, the effective time is increased from an hour or so to over a day.

My knowledge of this is from Dr. Prendergast. In about 1991 Dr. Dzau replied to Dr. Prendergast's queries about potential treatments with the animal results. Further query led Dr. Prendergast to actually try the therapy on himself. A CT scan in 1991 showed heavy calcification, and another in 2001 showed that it had completely cleared.

The classical sequence of events in developing a patient therapy starts with someone's idea/observation, some initial experiments, then maybe some formal animal experiments. If all goes well, then there are human experiments and maybe early product development. Of course each of these steps requires a financial sponsor, and those are in limited supply. What Dr. Prendergast did was to jump on the treatment as soon as the animal experiments looked positive. This probably saved about 10 years of the development process, but also bypassed the peer reviewed formal studies that you find so important.

Per usual, the paperwork is the last thing to get done. In this case, personal communications delivered an actionable therapy in 1991. Here we are 18 years later and the paper mill is barely getting wound up.

I don't much care about the rules and regulations on embargoed reports in the medical business. I'll go with the Nobel Committee's opinion that the scientific discovery is really important.

You may want to talk to Dr. Dzau. He's the person who originally told Dr. Prendergast about using arginine to clear out plaque. At the time, he was chairman of the Department of Medicine at Stanford. Since then he's been at a few other universities, such as Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School. His current job is chancellor for health affairs at Duke University and president and CEO of the Duke University Health System. His bio is here: Bio - Duke Medicine

This isn't back alley stuff.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

ahh, i see that citrulline is both a reactant and a product in the metabolism of arginine. still, i see no way that a 24x extension of efficacy time can be achieved by adding 1/5 citrulline w/w.

so this is one case study (as i called it earlier, bottom of the barrel of evidence and this MD should know better if he trained at a good university), over ten years, with no other lifestyle changes that may have contributed (improved diet, exercise, etc), and absolutely zero controls to demonstrate that the arg/cit was the cause of the noted effect.

sorry, if you want to pharmacologically manipulate people, you better have proof that the pharmacologic agent is the cause of the improvement. there is no proof here. selling this as a proven treatment is just straight-up lies. this is theory with some anecdotal evidence.

a substantial amount of work happens before humans are just dosed with a compound. there are some very strict guidelines on this, and for good reason.

NCCAM is just dying to fund studies of alternative/complementary therapy that actually work. harkin, et al are furious that NCCAM has disproven more alternative therapies than it has proven. (go figure...)

*cough* i think you meant to say "...that EVIDENCE BASED MEDICINE advocates find so important."

science is hard for a reason. bypassing it doesn't do much to convince us the purported therapy actually works.

and apparently not about ethics and scientific integrity, either. he stood to profit quite nicely should those results turn out to be promising, and wow, look, they did! that's one thing if he discloses that he stands to make some money from it, but he did not do so. major integrity fail. other scientists, including his co-nobel winner, were generally disappointed:

the nobel was for discovery and characterization of NO as a signaling molecule in humans. this was a big deal, and it has led to advances in cardiovascular medicine. no doubt about it. but the nobel award has nothing to do with this supplement.

you sure like to throw around names and universities. well, i just finished a phd in neuropharmacology at dumc, as i think you may have deduced based on the heavy emphasis on my alma mater. dzau arrived at duke at roughly the same time i began graduate school. but it's not like i can just waltz on into the ceo's office over at dumc to chat about this stuff.

if it's not systematically studied and proven to be more effective than placebo, how is it NOT back alley? they admit freely that no properly controlled study exists to prove the efficacy of this treatment, and allude to the single case study you described above, then start in with the big pharma doesn't want you to know paranoia. geez.

13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

published by thorne, in a journal owned by thorne, but even with the cards stacked in their favor they had to admit (but really tried hard to downplay!) that the results were mostly non-significant. lol

if i need to explain why this was not significant, i would be happy to do so. in fact, maybe we should take this line of conversation into a separate thread so as not to take away from TJ's story. moderators?

TJ, please take care... this new development is concerning :(

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No disrespect intended to RobH, but I think Dr. Galaxee is far more qualified to judge the published information on topics relating to pharmacology.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I don't. I have 2 cats who put out an impressive amount of cat manure. No sense throwing it out, if I can find a use for their Tootsie Rolls, might as well look into it

17. Snowbell

Snowbell That's the cat! Snow...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    First let me preface that I have no formal education in alternative healing, however it has been a sometimes "serious hobby" for me. I've been able to keep my rheumatoid arthritis in remission and manageable at least 85-100% of the time by changing my diet and using supplements and topicals. I have taken a minimum amount of pharmaceutical drugs in the past 15+ years, preferring to look to the alternative methods, researching through books and articles, and of course the www (world wide web) to find healing remedies for myself. I have very little experience with diabetic wounds, yet I have used various topicals on my own wounds (17 stitches as a result of a broken plate glass window) as well as pretty badly wounded cats.

For me, keeping and/or restoring a healthy immune system is vital. This is a recommendation for everyone! The most essential supplements include digestive enzymes, a good probiotic (one you would find in the refrigerated section of a health food store, 5-10k of vitamin C daily, a multimineral supplement, cod liver oil (1-2 tsps daily) or an omega 3-6-9 oil (like Udo's Oil) (2 tblspns daily) The oils also need to be refigerated once opened. A good powdered green drink mix (I like Green Vibrance). A healthy diet (organic if you can) filled with an abundance of green vegetables. Minimum or no high glycemic carbs and watch those sugars. I don't think any physician would disagree with any of the above. The key here is to give the body what it needs to do its job.

After that, other supplements and remedies come into play. I've had great experience with a raw aloe topical and a comfrey topical for wounds. Try googling comfrey ointment + diabetic wounds. There's a ton of info out there. For minor wounds, neosporin also works great, too. I tend to combine topicals together; like aloe plus something else.

I also just found a web site at http://www.naturalwoundcare.com
    that offers a promising sounding topical for more severe wounds. Take a look at that website and then approach your doctor about trying it. There also seems to be a variety of other topicals out there but I don't know enough about them to suggest or not suggest them at this time.

I hope some of this information might be helpful.

First and foremost I believe in "do no harm". I think all of the "natural" basics I have mentioned fit this bill. The most important thing you can do is be supportive of your body on a daily basis.

P.S. I have also heard of Manuka Honey, http://www.manukahoneyusa.com, although my friend used regular honey on her scarring after knee replacement surgery and it healed beautifully. I do not know its effectiveness on open wounds though.

I know that I'm a little off topic (from arginine), but I thought this would fall under the thread name; Alternative Therapy for Wound Care

1 person likes this.
  18. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not a seller. I'm a buyer and reviewer in this case.

I'm a 65 year old guy with systolic hypertension. There are a number of therapies offered for my situation, including statins, diet, EECP, and arginine.

I don't see arginine as an isolated therapy. I see it as an alternative to statin drugs. If you want to eliminate arginine as a reasonable choice, then please tell me about a superior one.

I just read a study in NEJM on Simvastatin and niacin (Vol 345:1583-1592 November 29, 2001 Number 22). It has all the trappings of a properly done study, published in a major peer reviewed medical journal. The bottom line of the study is that the treatment invokes a 0.4% reduction is angiographically identified stenosis. If we assume a similar rate of improvement over the next 8 years (a rather big assumption), then the end point will be a 2% improvement.

Dr. P's experience over 10 years was a 100% improvement in CT scan identified calcium deposits with arginine/citrulline. But, as you say, the documentation is weak.

Statins suppress CoQ10 production (I think we agreed on this in a previous discussion). That's a really bad thing. A running buddy of mine used to run a particular 50K race every year for 17 years. He really wanted to make that at least 20 years. His doctor convinced him to go on a statin drug, and his running career is trashed. Since he can't run as much as he used to, he's gained a lot of weight. He looks puffy, his muscles ache, and he tires easily. All this degradation happened soon after the statin therapy started.

Think my aversion to statin drugs is just a personal thing? Check out Spacedoc.net . Astronaut and flight surgeon Dr. Duane Graveline relates his horror story of transient global amnesia which he blames on statin therapy. I thought that maybe adding CoQ10 to statins would solve the problems. But apparently statins also reduce dolichols, selenoproteins, Rho, glutathione, and phosphorylation. In Dr. Graveline's words, "This I believe, is the cause of the thousands of side effect reports largely unknown to the medical community."

The amount of niacin used in the study causes flushing. Gee, you get to know first hand what it's like to be a menopausal woman suffering flashes. For life. At least women get through that stage.

Side effects of arginine? Better circulation while there is enough active in you. More growth hormone is released. Better sexual response (a cheap Viagra without the vision side effects). Body builders have been using it for ages as an aid to getting stronger. Sounds pretty good even if it does nothing for healing arteries.

My current treatment with arginine/citrulline is being tracked on the CVProfiler. If it isn't performing as expected, I'll know. I'm too cheap to pay $150 for another one of those tests just yet, but I do have a number of positive indications. Like my maximum heart rate has gone up by 10 beats over the past 2 years. The previous 30 years was a consistent degradation. Something is loosening up (like maybe the calcium is moving from my arteries back to my bones?). Someone on statins probably couldn't exercise hard enough to even reach their maximum.

Do you seriously think that I should drop an effective treatment prescribed by my doctor in favor of a lousy treatment that been described with a gazillon digits of precision?

Wow. You're really into the dirt and politics of all this. I'm just trying to choose a treatment.

Yeah, I really got a kick out of realizing that Victor was Chief Poo Bah at your med school. Congratulations on the Phd. Honest.

Nor could I. That's why I had to pay Dr. P to tell me what Dr. Dzau told him.

I'm sure that Dr. P must have used those "systematically studied and proven" statins early in his search for a treatment for his atheroscerosis. It was his personal experience that convinced him that arginine/citrulline was a better approach. His case history was the big demonstration, but he also has an additional 8 years experience treating over 5000 patients with this protocol. Their progress is monitored with the CVProfiler, as well as other more common measures. As a clinician in private practice, I guess he no longer publishes like he used to. But over his 40+ year career in endocrinology, he participated in several hundred clinical studies and published dozens of articles in peer reviewed journals.

One thing is certain. Big Pharma is not going to sponsor any university studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of arginine/citrulline.

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm just arguing that there is no evidence that arginine does anything to reduce atherosclerotic plaques, and the blood pressure reduction data are only significant at very high doses and for short time periods as far as i have seen. i am not trained in medicine and do not attempt to claim that i am, or that my discussions of the science/evidence behind drugs should be taken as medical advice.

but i do think doctors are obligated to properly analyze the evidence for a treatment, hence the movement for evidence-based medicine.

i presume though, based on the statins and EECP mention, that this is more than hypertension. as complexity of the problem increases, complexity of the solution seems to go up exponentially.

this is not my field, but from what i have read, the field considers any reduction of plaque volume a positive result. in a progressive disease, this isn't horribly unreasonable.

as some may say on the forums here, YMMV. so many things may have changed over 10 years in this one person, there is no way the presence of arginine in his system can solely be attributed to this outcome. statistically, there is no validity to the study. N=1 is an anecdote and not applicable to the entire population.

for instance, i went to duke every day for 5 years. that correlates well with the degree outcome, but it doesn't apply on its own. what i did during those 5 years just might have had an effect too. :) you can make a lot of correlations and miss the major cause of the outcome.

at least with the clinical studies, you know the effect is attributable to the treatment only. even if the result is less exciting, it's real.

statins indeed can be involved in muscle damage after heavy exertion. this also varies by individual. this is why the course of treatment should be carefully considered for each person.

but how do you know for sure it's all statin related? could be his medical condition worsening. could be a number of things.

niacin is NOT a pleasant treatment. no doubt about it.

can't complain about that SE profile, can ya? :D

but the trade-off is the absence of proven effect. and the effect is generally what you're looking for before you consider the side effects.

i'm glad to know your condition is improving, but that may be partially placebo effect ;) have you always taken such attentive care of your health? say, over the previous 30 years?

it may or may not be due to the arginine itself. placebo is a pretty amazing thing. if you're interested, the studies of antidepressants particularly, show just how much placebo can do for a person.

i of course do not have the authority to make that decision. my discussion is on the evidence.

unfortunately, there are a lot of unscrupulous folks out there looking to make money. you think big pharma makes bucks? the supplement market is a big moneymaker too. they deserve as much scrutiny as the scientists who get called out as pharma shills, no?

in some cases, use of an ineffective therapy due to belief in the absence of evidence, can put someone off or delay using a known effective therapy. in those cases, if the condition gets worse, these unproven compounds can be dangerous and detrimental.

thanks! look, we disagree on a substantial amount in science topics, but i do trust that what you say is in earnest. i know you're being honest. :)

now on to Dzau... i did some digging last night, and did not find a published statement from him in any scientific or medical journal relating to the actual treatment of clinically hypertensive patients with arginine instead of other available courses of action. he did argue that it was a potential treatment (though dose was prohibitive), and that more study was required (but that's pretty much universal around us scientists, we think it all requires more study.) he stopped publishing studies on the compound in the early 1990s, and i wonder why that is.

nope, but as i mentioned, there is a government funding agency that would kill to fund such a major finding... if it has merit.

20. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Make that no published evidence that you could find. There is a lot more medical knowledge out there than what makes it into the medline indexed journals. Doctors go to conferences, seminars, and just plain networking. One of Dr. P's sources of info on vitamin D3 is apparently personal contact with researchers in Germany who know about work done in the 1920's. They found that enough D3 (like 50,000 IU) for a week invoked a stronger immune system. You'd have to read German paper journals of that vintage to pick up on any of it.

Placing articles in peer reviewed journals is something that academics do. Clinical practice doctors may occasionally do that, but it's not their primary job. And much to the disgust of some academics, individual doctors do make discoveries and develop treatment protocols.

A doctor's primary responsibility is to do the best that he can for his patients. If there is any time left, then maybe he should report results that are out of the ordinary. One way to shortcut the analysis of data is to accept an analysis by someone else that you trust. Like that cute detail lady from the drug company?

I had EECP based on my own research. The biggest problem was finding a provider who would only charge me what Medicare normally reimburses at. The local hospital wanted about 5X that amount. The priority of using EECP versus other therapies is totally backwards. The standard protocol is drug, stent, bypass, and then, if there are no more donor vessels available, EECP. If they started with EECP, much of the surgeries would never have to be done. But why bill $4000 when you can bill $100,000?

In my case, EECP produced a major improvement in my energy level. I noticed several places on a trail run where I kept running instead of dropping back to a walk. It's been tested on younger athletes, and doesn't seem to be worthwhile for most of them. I'm working on building my own machine so I can do more of the therapy without the outrageous prices normally charged. My wife laughingly calls it the ultimate in exercise - you just lay on the bed and the machine does the exercise for you.

The ratio between N=0 and N=1 is infinite. How many atomic bombs did it take to provide proof of concept? N=1 was quite sufficient. The larger the effect, the lower the sample size required to test it. If it takes 10,000 samples to produce a statistically significant result, it's probably not worth using the result.

I certainly agree that it would be more comfortable to have more data. But I find the professional judgement of a doctor who has used the therapy on 5000 people to be adequate for my trying it. And for telling others that it would be worth trying.

I've tried to come up with a timeline about what Dr. P did and when. There is a lot of data that I'm missing, so if the story seems incomplete, it is. The starting point is that at age 37 he was diagnosed as having the arteries of an 80 year old. His father had had a stoke at age 42. As a MD, he knew full well what standard therapies could deliver. And so he decided that he had to do something "outside the box". My guess is that he used the medical literature to identify a wide variety of drugs and supplements that had any indication of helping. He speaks of taking 45 minutes to consume all the pills he eventually took. They probably helped him to reach age 52, 10 years beyond what his father's experience would have predicted. But he had the first CAT scan then, and it showed extensive calcification. This is also the time period when Dzau told him about arginine. I don't know when citrulline came into the picture, but my impression is that it was not part of the initial arginine protocol. Fast forward another 10 years to age 62 when he had another CAT scan. The same radiologist read the both scans, and was quite amazed at the improvement. My observation is that while all those supplements he was taking were useful, the reversal didn't happen until he added the arginine.

The protocol that he uses on his patients is much simpler than the one he had followed himself. Most of the supplements are gone, and there are certainly no statins. With the CVProfilor machine, he doesn't have to wait 10 years to measure the progress. There are a number of other materials in the products that he recommends besides the arginine/citrulline, such as 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 (after several months at 50,000 IU). Calcium supplements must be avoided when using high D3. But he's cool with my mixing the arginine/citrulline from bulk sources. There are several blood and lab machine tests that he wants me to do in case there are other problems that need to be addressed.

Statins are a disaster. The vendors know it, and are trying to shift the reasoning from cholesterol control over to inflammation control. The same level of inflammation control can be achieved with fish oil or some aspirin. Statins may have been a promising idea, but they're running on momentum now. Maybe they're good for the few people with genetic hypercholesterolemia, but not for the masses that the promotions address.

Obviously it's just my prejudice. Fed by several doctors who've told me about similar disasters. One MD I know spent 10 years in emergency medicine. He got fed up with end stage handling of conditions that could have been prevented. Anyway, he told me that statin use had absolutely nothing to do with who arrived for emergency treatment. People with high cholesterol had heart attacks. People with low cholesterol had heart attacks. People with cholesterol controlled to normal levels had heart attacks. Maybe precise research could identify a difference, but a guy on the front line didn't see a worthwhile pattern. One of his current patients is on 900 mg of CoQ10 a day, because that's what it takes for him to achieve a healthy blood level. I wonder how long that guy was on statins?

The maximum heart rate that I'm referring to is generally regarded as a physiological limit similar to what a governor does. The classic value is 220 minus your age, and all of the other formulas assume degradation with age. The numbers I have start with a treadmill test at the local college sports department. At age 34, my max heart rate was 199. The next value I have is 191 at age 51. So that's a degradation of about a half beat per year. Additional data points are 183 at age 60, and 181 at age 61. Start arginine/citrulline. Next data is 186 at age 63, and 191 at age 64. So when the value would be expected to go down by about a beat, it instead went up by 5 on two consecutive years.

All of the values recorded after the first one are readings from a sports heart rate monitor. The first one I owned had no recording capacity, but I was watching it as I sprinted to the finish line of a half marathon. There have been several more monitors, and the current one records heart rate and GPS location about every 5 seconds.

I've never heard a good explanation about what establishes the max heart rate. It could be a nervous system limit, cross linking of tissues in the heart and vascular system, or maybe the level of calcification. Or maybe all of them. In any case, the value going up by 5 beats each year for 2 years is outside the normal experience. The earlier numbers are entirely in line with the normal experience.

One of the data points for arginine/citrulline therapy is that 3 grams of arginine isn't enough. Some people were not progressing as expected, and a lab analysis of the supplement product that they were using showed that there was 3 grams of arginine in a dose claimed to have 5 grams. The QA at that company was somewhere between sloppy and fraudulent. One of the reasons that I take 10 grams is that I want to cover for a potential mislabeling. And I don't buy anything from those crooks.

A story of one woman's experience. This older lady that I met said that she had been on $300 a month worth of medications. She was essentially house bound, and ready to die. The interesting part is that we were having this conversation on a tour bus in Costa Rica. She had cut back to $15 a month for medications, and was back living again. She didn't go horseback riding, but she did go on the river tour on a Zodiac boat. What changed is that Dr. McDougall had taught her to eat differently, and thus was able to discontinue most of her medications. Every one of those medications passed the FDA examination of scientific studies on the effects of the meds. It's reasonable to assume that the medications were properly selected to treat conditions that she was experiencing. But the overall effect of the bad diet and the pharmaceutical interventions was a disaster. The professional judgment of a doctor knowledgeable about both diet and drugs caused a major improvement in her situation. You should approve of the treatment, as Dr. McDougall learned about dietary effects by extensive study of the peer reviewed medical literature. Obviously her other doctors failed to read the relevant data, or at least failed to act on it.

Every doctor develops a personal repertoire of treatments. The quality of the research backing up a particular substance is quickly replaced by experience with it. Thus a doctor who has used a substance for many years has a well developed opinion of what can be done with it. It is no long very important what the quality of the initial research was.

Quality research is most important when applied to synthesized substances, such as most modern drugs. Whole foods and extracted substances simply don't have the potential dangers that new substances have. The safety profile of natural substances is generally know, and there are already coping mechanisms in place for handling damaging ones.

My guess is that the duties of management took him out of the lab. Does he still publish anything? His biggest job these days is probably fund raising. That and keeping the cats corralled.

The data isn't secret. It just isn't aggressively promoted enough to cut through the noise. I'd like to see more work on the dose/response relationship. And why no proline or lysine? Vitamin D3 is getting attention, but doses over 10,000 IU are still ignored. How does high D3 affect the need for A?

When I cut myself, the wound usually is pretty much healed in a week. A broken bone takes 1-2 months to heal. Joints and tendons heal more slowly, supposedly because the blood supply is more limited there. If the rate of healing is subject to the supply of oxygen and nutrients, then why aren't blood vessels the most healthy parts of the body? The potential seems to be there for blood vessels to heal in weeks, rather than 10 years being an impossible dream.