1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternative to New $$$ Radio/Moving the Auxiliary jack

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dnldcs, Dec 12, 2015.

1. dnldcs

dnldcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys, first time posting here, though I have been searching through the forums a lot. I recently got tired of having my phone on a windshield mount, and wanted a new radio dash unit, but after looking at the prices, I wasn't ready to pay out the 400-600 bucks to install an Android based touch screen system. This is my alternative. My 2011 Prius 2 ( I believe it is a 2) has no bluetooth for audio either so this was my second hurdle. I decided to mount my unused Galaxy Tab 3 8in using a CD Slot mount. That was $30 bucks (Amazon Prime). One problem down. But now I didn't want a cable running from my Tablet mount all the way to my center console. One thing led to another and suddenly it felt like I had half the panels off. It was a bit scary, but relatively easy. I used a 6 foot Aux cable from Walmart( ~$9) and that give me plenty of space to spare. I Use my phone (T-Mobile) as a hotspot to power Waze, Google Maps, and Pandora. I also have a bluetooth obd2 adapter and Torque. Probably my favorite part, I use AutomateIt Pro( ~$2 Play Store) to automate wifi/bluetooth start up, pandora, Torque, and screen brightness when the car starts and when I turn off the car it shuts everything down, conserving my tablet's battery. More pictures to ensue, these are just from the moving of aux cord through the bottom of the center console, through the shifter panel, behind the climate controls, down to the spare accessory slot below to Power button. 20151211_154152.jpg 20151211_160753.jpg 20151211_160756.jpg 20151211_160759.jpg 20151211_160946.jpg 20151211_160953.jpg 20151211_160955.jpg 20151211_163351.jpg 20151211_160753.jpg 20151211_160756.jpg 20151211_160759.jpg

2. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting project. Can you post some photos of the tablet in use?

dnldcs likes this.
  3. lrisius

lrisius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Neat project. I love the "one thing led to another" line. Too funny!

dnldcs likes this.
  4. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :) When the whole flying buttress thingee is disassembled, you've got a major project on your hands. :) Love how you "frankensteined" the dash to get what you wanted.

dnldcs likes this.
  5. dnldcs

dnldcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is my update: the mount I used
    It does cover a tad of the center vents, but I haven't noticed a difference as of yet.

As you may or may not be able to notice, I can easily reach the lower half of the the screen without moving my hand off the shifter( it helps with making dedicated touches). Pandora runs wells, though I would like to have bigger buttons for the pause and next. Torque is really amazing and intuitive, and has helped me improve my driving habits, as well as learn how my prius works. The cable bundle as of now has been left like that, I am not sure if I am going leave it there. If I do I will drill a small hole in the original black accessory filler to make it look slightly more professional. I might end up rerouting the cables closer to the tablet. Also complimentary pictures of my LED set I put in about a week ago for about 20 bucks..that includes door courtesy lights, headlight running light(?) license plate lights and trunk light.

Attached Files:

6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome! I too have a Galaxy tablet 8", but my car has blue tooth. So, it automatically finds my tablet upon start up and I'm good to go. Tablet is part of my Verizon account. I was looking for a tablet holder I could use like yours. I will see if I can find another one, as I want to avoid the AC vents, but if not, I will order yours. Ideally, getting the built in unit is the dream. But, after reading all about them in here, you are correct that it prices out to about $500 (this gets you all the correct cables, adapters and such to keep my backup camera working, etc). So a holder for my tablet is a cheaper alternative.

dnldcs likes this.
  7. dnldcs

dnldcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I definitely understand. You should check out this guy's set up, his Clearly leaves his vents open and away from his tablet. I am having issues placing links in my posts as I made an account today but google: radioactive yak prius. First link has this guys tablet set up that I mentioned. If no luck I will post link tomorrow.

8. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's it!!! That table stand is perfect!! That's what I'm going to get!! Thanks for showing it to me!!