1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Altima Hybrid Engine Wont Start ECM Lost Comms

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by NAHOwner, Dec 14, 2010.

1. NAHOwner

NAHOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid has had this recurring problem since I purchased it used and I learned the original owner had the same recurring issue and other owners on the internet also. Typically when I go to start my car in the morning, after my car has sat in the garage over night, I depress the brake and the ignition button and **ALL** the warning lights come on including the EV mode ready and Service Engine light but the car has no power steering and the gas engine won't start at all. The car is drivable for about 30 seconds in EV mode then dies. When the car is at the dealer the car starts fine and they can't replicate the issue but find the following DTC's: UOO73, UO100 ECM 211, UO100 ECM 530, UO123, UO124, U0126, U0129 BRAKE 220, UO293,UO131 EPS 433, UO121 EPS 434, U1020, U1022. Nissan replaced the hybrid battery, the hybrid harness and the main car harness and now they say there is nothing more they can do to fix the problem. The problem remains. Have you had the same or a similar issue?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and you're expecting grest things from this company in the leaf?:confused:

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm not sure. I did have an Altima Hybrid for a rental car for one day a few months ago. I loved the Altima Hybrid. I thought it was awesome. I drove all around my neighborhood in EV mode (slowly) before the engine kicked on.

To me, it sounds like your problem is a software issue. I would ask them to replace the circuit boards and software; not the battery. But, I'm just hypothesizing though.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Perhaps a Google search for "Nissan Altima Hybrid Forum" might take you to a website just for Nissan Altima Hybrid owners. Or, a Google Search just for "Nissan Altima Hybrid problem"

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry, no ideas. My mom has an 07 NAH and I've not heard of my parents speaking of any issues like this.

I'm curious if your car was bought back by Nissan under a lemon law. Assuming that car has no salvage title or anything, I'd try to escalate this issue further or take it to another dealer. From your warranty booklet, you should see that a lot of the hybrid systems should still be under warranty (and the powertrain is also under the 5 year/60K mile warranty). To me, Nissan should be obligated to fix it or you might be able to get them to buy back the car (again?) under lemon law.

I've not personally found (and have tried to asking around for this before) a great NAH forum, filled w/people who are really knowledgeable. I've gone to http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f58/ but found that place lacking. http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21 looks like a total dud when it comes to Altimas. When I used to have a Maxima, I'd frequent maxima.org...

5. ibmsorcerer

ibmsorcerer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I also have an 07 NAH. The closest that I have come to that is by not having the brake fully depressed when I turn the car on. I can't drive it, like you can. I have to push the start button again and then everything comes up normally.

6. antix81

antix81 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've actually got the same exact thing happening, on a 2011 nah just bought a few months ago. All three lights came on about a week ago VCS, Hybrid Warning light, and Ev Mode on I pulled over and reset my codes with my phone and it stayed off until today.... so i decided to leave it for a min... seemed to be stuck in EV mode.. i have a plug in add on which gives me more battery range so i was able to confirm the ICE engine wasn't kicking in... not sure what this means but i hope it's not a sign of any damage to come. I even gave it some gas and the EV engine just did the best it could, no help from the gas... was kind of cool to see how it would be in EV only mode but I'm worried there is some kind of issues.. 2 times in one month doesn't sound terrible though.

7. MacsVoltage

MacsVoltage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A problem like this is a communication issue between ECU's. Often this is caused by low battery voltage from the 12 volt battery. I recommend testing the 12 volt battery first then looking for corrosion or voltage drops with a scanner. Hope this helps "Mac"

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When it happens, does a simple power down and power up sequence fix it? Or if you wait with it stuck, then power down and power up, does it fix it?

The next time the engine starts up, does it sound normal?

9. MacsVoltage

MacsVoltage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Power down and then up is like a reboot to your PC and yes the voltage fluctuations cause the ecu's to freeze. This cycling of power can often reset. The problem is if a cell is weak or bad in the 12 volt the problem is likely to happen more and more frequently. Allowing it to continue will cause a voltage spike and can fry solid state components. Your hybrid high voltage system will be fine because the contactors have not been tripped yet due to the interlock. However the components that can be effected are costly to replace. Recommend a new 12 volt if any issues or wekanees in Cold Cranking Amps via load test are indicated. Hope this helps. "Mac"