1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Altimax Arctic mpg hit?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Coyotefred, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'Planning on grabbing some dedicated winter/snow tires on separate rims for when the white stuff starts falling... I'm considering the Michelin X-Ice 2 or the General Altimax Arctic. From what I've read, the Altimax gets slightly better reviews for snow/winter performance, but the X-Ice 2 is a true LRR tire so there would be less of a mileage penalty.

'Anyone out there have an idea what the mileage penalty would be on the Altimax?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got a set of studded Altimax... really like em. They are the best snowtires I have ever used. With that said, I drop about 8 mpg in the winter. Of course the cold is mostly the issue there but I am guess about 3-4 on the tires.

3. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey thanks. I would think the studs would make a fair amount of difference too compared to the "straight" Altimax... In Nebraska we don't Alaska-caliber snow (particularly in recent years), but this is the first vehicle I've had in many years without AWD or 4x4 so I think snows would help me make the transition over to FWD :)