1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

always losing two battery bars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tom1l21, Mar 24, 2010.

1. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whenever I start up my prius, I always lose two battery bars (typically) when I drive within the first 30 seconds. I realize that the Prius will initially drive mostly on battery on a cold engine but is losing two bars normal? And is the reason that it uses a lot of battery when first driving is so that the engine will recharge it while it also warms it up to 159F?

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on how hard you drive it when the engine/cat converter is cold.

When the engine/cat converter is cold, all power comes from the battery. The engine is busy idling up to operating temp. During this time, the hybrid computers won't put a load on the engine - unless you really floored it.

Does it lose 2 bars when you let the car idle until it turns off the engine, and then start your trip?

3. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I live off of a main street so as soon as I power on my Prius, I am backing out into the road. If I floor it to around 2400-2600 RPM, it will usually not eat at the battery, but if I gently to moderately accelerate to 35mph, it will definitely lose two bars. What usually happens is I do the latter and once two bars go down, I'll hear the engine rev louder and it won't use as much battery (or if any) following that.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's normal with a cold engine and exhaust system. Don't worry about it.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah same thing sometimes happens to me Tom. I often lose just one bar whiles it's warming up, but sometimes I can lose two or even three depending on which way I go. One way I can go is up a big hill, and yeah if I just drive pretty slowly then it uses the battery a lot and often drops two bars, a few times it's even dropped three on me there.

Ususally if it's cold then the car automatically starts the ICE as soon as I start backing out of the driveway. Then if I drive very slowly along my street (which is a quite back street) I can give it a bit of time to warm up. Then if I use a bit more accelerator when I turn onto the main road it uses the battery a lot less and may not drop any bars at all.

So yeah it depends on which route I drive on leaving the house, but definitely it uses the battery more in the first few minutes while the ICE warms up, so losing a bar or two is not at all uncommon.

6. Doorknob

Doorknob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    do you ever see the battery at full bars? I get to green, but I can't ever seem to "fill" that last slot.

thanks

7. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok thanks for reassuring me. Is it more fuel efficient to throttle harder to avoid battery consumption or to accelerate normally and use lots of battery. I'm going to assume the latter since the battery will take more charge when the ICE is warming up than if it wads full.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same as with other cars, it's easier on the engine to drive gently for the first minute or so until it warms up. After that, it's most efficient to *avoid* using the battery as much as possible. Short path fuel economy zen:
    - better to glide (no arrows on the "energy" display) than coast
    - better to coast than brake
    - better to brake than stop
    - better to stop than run into something
    Ideally one would zoom up to some maximum speed less than about 42 MPH, then glide all the way to the next stop. In practice of course this is usually completely impractical if not impossible. Zooming up to 42 MPH and cruising is more feasible. On the freeway you just gotta go with the flow.

9. RolfS

RolfS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you say that it loses two bars at start up do you mean it does that without the arrow showing that the HD battery is being used and draining? If it does then you are using the HD battery and all is normal. If the arrow is going into the battery and it is going down two bars then I would say you have a problem. If neither arrow is showing then I have to ask what other electronics are running in your car. Keep in mind that the HD battery can also be used to charge the 12 volt battery if low. Is something draining your 12 volt battery at night? Lights on?

You also don’t say at what level the bars were when you lose two. If bar 8 or 7 were on (green bars), they would be used up quickly because the Prius likes to keep the charge at around 60%. If you were at 6 bars and it goes down to 4 bars when starting out I would wonder why it is doing that, unless you are really pushing the car hard when starting out as other have said.

10. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I almost always have 6 bars to start. After turning on my Prius and pulling out of my driveway I usually accelerate at 1800-2000 rpm's under normal circumstances, but since the engine is cold, it will only run at about 1300 rpm with lots of battery assist under the same pedal depression as I do for 1800-2000 rpms. Within the first 30 seconds I'll almost always lose a bar and sometimes two depending if I decide to coast or not. It seems like the Prius is programmed to say "use 50% of energy from battery when accelerating in the first 30 seconds of startup, if pedal depression doesn't exceed x%." I started this thread to make sure that my battery wasn't weak or damaged but it appears to be acting the same way others is under normal acceleration within the first 30 seconds of starting up. Perhaps jumping out onto the main road is the main reason for this while others who have to drive through a neighborhood giving their prius ample time to warm up don't experience it.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This typically will happen as you are descending a hill. Probably need to drop 1,000 vertical feet or so.

12. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Or sudden traffic jams. I had to go from 70 to 5mph twice in 3 mins on the highway today, got me to a SOC of 80 and 8 green bars easily. Sometimes coming off an off ramp will get you up there too.