1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I a Prius Candidate?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wildman, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Wildman

Wildman New Member

I'm 64 years old. We own a '94 Toyoya Tercel with about 95K miles on it. The Tercel gets about 30MPG. The other vehicle is a 2001 Dakota we need for utility stuff and occasional trailer towing. We do about 8000 miles on the Tercel and 6000 a year on the truck.

The nearest Toyota dealer is about 30 miles away. Most of our driving is here one the island where we live.

I love the technology of the Prius. The Tercel still runs great. The truck has about 30K on it... it'll last longer than me. Opinions please... a new Prius would be a "treat", but is it an extravigance? It would probably be my last vehicle (now THAT sounds final :D )

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildman\";p=\"70377)</div>
    Since most of your driving in on the island, how far is your usual trip? If it is a small island you might not get much better mileage than your Tercel. The Prius runs the engine to get it up to operating temperature. The first 5 minute bar on the consumption screen will usually be 25-35 MPG. It is the bars after that that come in the 50+ MPG range.

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have a commute to school that's less than 5 minutes away but that doesnt keep me from getting AT LEAST 38 mph because i sometimes take 15 minute trips. now its above 45

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

In terms of economy, your Tercel still has 100K miles left on the drivetrain, so if cost is the factor, just keep it! If cool is the factor, you can't beat the Prius with a stick.

5. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Well, really it sounds like you are set well in the area of a fleet of vehicles.

But,

The Prius is fun. Serious fun. Lets improve it fun. I wanna drive it fun. How does it work fun.

The enjoyment of motoring will return.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if you want to treat yourself, I'd say go for it since it does have all the geek factor and all the toys to play with. However, it is up to you to decide whether you would like to spend your money on that or keep the money for other things just as travel. The two vehicles you mentioned will definitely last as long as you need them.

I remember dropping by Foothills Toyota Pontiac Scion at the I-5 Auto World. There was this really old couple taking the Prius out for a test drive (I swear they must be 70 or 80!).

7. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hello,

I think if you like it, want it, and can afford it you should get it. After all, you earned it.

I fully subscribe to the spend the kids inheritance theory. I also emphatically second the "its a fun car to drive" school of thought.

Everyone I have let drive my car has fallen in love with it. This truly is a special automobile. In fact, if the mileage were nothing to write home about I would still happily recommend this car to anyone as their next car purchase.

I have owned and driven everything from bugs to pickups, station wagons to sedans, sports cars to "luxury cars" and can say with authority that I have never enjoyed driving any car as much as I enjoy this one. I actually sit and try to come up with as many errands as I can string together (this is called trip-chaining, in transportation mitigation terminology BTW and is also a more environmentally responsible use of a vehicle) so that I can spend more time driving my car.

Final thought - Get yourself a Prius you will not regret it.

Take care,

Tisza