1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I doomed to buy a new gas tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CryptoG, May 9, 2022.

1. CryptoG

CryptoG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All, I recently purchased a 2009 with 139K miles on it. Put 1000 miles on it, and it ran fine. Then I added about 4 gallons of gas to an almost empty tank and it's never been the same. Gas gauge reads full when it's not and I can only get a couple gallons in without struggling. I was able to get 4 recently little by little and by changing position. The gas station where it initially got messed up had one pump that was on a pretty big slant, and of course the attendant told me to pull up to that one. Not knowing any better I did. I've tried the recalibration many times to no avail. Any ideas of a fix besides a new tank? Thanks

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a recalibration process you can do... You can also just disconnect the 12v for a few minutes to reset the whole car as well.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The gen 2 Prius does not notice less then 3 gallons of gas added.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try a different station/pump, turn it sideways, upside down, pump as slowly as possible

5. CryptoG

CryptoG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've tried the recalibration numerous times... Thinking to try the battery disconnect when it warms up today. My research tells me it could be an issue with the bladder caused by filling up on a slant, and not sure it this is something that can be remedied.

6. CryptoG

CryptoG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just tried disconnecting the negative terminal connection to the body of the car as well. NO change. So back to my original question... Am I doomed to have to buy a new gas tank?

7. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Leave the fuel cap off for 30 minutes before you fill it up. It might get 5 or 6 gallons, however the bladder tank will not return to original capacity and eventually will need to be replaced.

CryptoG likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Long drives at freeway speed on the hottest day of the year with tank as full as possible does wonders to restore bladder capacity.

CryptoG and Aegean like this.
  9. cipsaz187

cipsaz187 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Same thing with my 2009 Prius
    I follow this rule and never have a problem

3 bars - you need to fuel up
    2 bars - you really need to fuel up on the next available gas station
    1 bar - you are at your own mercy

CryptoG and bisco like this.
  10. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yep. Good idea.
    I ran into a Costco station recently that was a PiTA to use. Wouldn’t pump. Had to hold the nozzle tightly in filler tube.then filled it with eight gallons as expected. Never had had that problem anymore nor anywhere else.

CryptoG likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We have also had more than one thread where somebody had an actual problem with some component in the ORVR system, solved by replacing the component with the problem. This thread, for example. The tank itself is not the only component to look at.

Sometimes we'll spend so much time talking about holding the nozzle funny, facing east, clicking heels three times, etc., we forget that a lot of the time when something acts like it isn't working right, it really isn't working right, and ought to be fixed. (Also, sometimes people's 'folk remedies' end up making the issue worse, which was one of the things going on in the thread linked above.)

[​IMG]

CryptoG likes this.
  12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s easier to test and correct an occasional nozzle issue than fix a problem that may not exist. If nozzle is not the problem then go to plan B

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's swell. It's just when you find yourself looking for 'tricks' repeatedly or regularly, and not for "an occasional nozzle problem" with a particular nozzle at a particular station, then it's good to remember that when things act like they're not working right, it can indeed be because they are not, and can be fixed.

And then after they are fixed, you find yourself enjoying refueling much more than you were while you were trying to trick your way around nonexistent nozzle problems all the time.

Tanman likes this.
  14. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Incorrect assessment of what, I said.
    In my case I’ve never had a problem with tank filing until this Costco station. The nozzle there was a weird one. I’ve seen many types all over the country and overseas. This was an oddball. Second only to the California elephant trunk nozzle.
    Took me a minute to reposition it and get it to fill. Never have had a problem since then elsewhere.
    People can look for complicated solutions from the start or try something else. I’ve had problems with the evap small leak error on one of my Lexus’s too. Unfortunately that was quickly diagnosed to be a real problem with a cracked charcoal canister.
    Like I said, if the reconfigured nozzle doesn’t solve the problem then go to your plan B. It's not always the complicated problem.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's fine, as I agreed above. You personally had a simple nozzle issue.

It wasn't my aim to assess what you, personally, said. You said it in a thread about someone else's issue, where there are also posts from other people, and all of this happens in a forum that has been filled with related threads in the past. Not all of those have been simple nozzle issues, and they have involved a lot of people inventing a lot of odd dances and using them routinely.

In those cases, it isn't doing a person any favors to direct them away from the likelihood that the system acting as if it isn't working right really just isn't, and can be fixed (and especially when some of the odd dances end up worsening the problem).

I find this an interesting use of the word 'complicated'. Not necessarily wrong, but interesting. In my mind, when something mechanical doesn't work right, looking for why it doesn't and then fixing that often turns out to be the simple approach, and what seems more complicated to me is inventing whole odd rituals around it that avoid fixing it.

Tanman and Another like this.
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    we had the problem on our 2006 before it died, but could get in 5-6 gals. At some point if you overfill the gaso will gush out, which I do not recommend but that one way to gauge it.

Then we got a new 2020 RAV4HV and by gosh it had the same problem with a fixed tank. Toyota said a subtle change in tank shape caused the issue, which was fixed by a customer satisfaction campaign, with new tank and all. Now our RAV4HV is still a bit hard to fill up, but I pump slowly and try to know how much I can get in. So anyhow, re: Gen2 you can imagine it may not take too much mis-shape of the flex tank to cause an issue. And of course there is no way to see the darn tank.

Consider yourself lucky if you can still do the calibration. At some point our 2006 Prius HUD display got ornery and we could not do much with it.

#16 wjtracy, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    CryptoG likes this.
  17. CryptoG

CryptoG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all the replies... I have just been rolling with it so far, keeping track of how much I put in, and my mileage. But I forgot to write it down last time, so I'm thinking to drive until I run out of gas, just to really see what the gauge looks like when it's empty. The plan is to pull over immediately and add 1 gallon of gas that I have in my car. It's my understanding that's all it needs as long as I fill immediately and don't drain the battery. I may take it to the mechanic soon to have them test other components. I did let the tank breath once for about 20 min before adding gas (no difference) and will try that again.

#17 CryptoG, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  18. CryptoG

CryptoG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    and what's weird is that after I reconnected the battery my mpg went down by 3.

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes a Prius won't start on one gallon of gas after tank is drained down. You might need as much as 3 gallons... Also a way to clear the error code would be easier than waiting for it to go away.

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no might, you will need to put in 3 gallons or more to get the car to restart after a 'no gas' stop.