1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I geting 100+MPG, or is my fuel guage stuck?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by upland_bill, Jun 22, 2006.

1. upland_bill

upland_bill New Member

I was anxious to start a new tank of gas after the last tank's disappointing mileage (I discovered that my tires were all low at about 1/4 tank). This time, I wanted to especially pay attention to how many miles I get per marking on the fuel guage. With 10 marks, it seems is should be about 1 gallon per mark. So, I've been watching for a 100 miles now, and the guage has changed; still shows full. I have no idea whether the car uses some sort of float in the gas tank, but I've tried running over bumps with no effect. The computer says I am getting 50 MPG, so it hasn't been fooled.

Has this happened to anyone else (guage stuck)? I guess I will let it go for another 100 or so, but if it remains on full I'll have to take it into the dealer.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The gas guage isn't linear. There are probably 25 threads on this subject on PriusChat. Most of us get b/w 75-150 miles on the first pip, it drops a pip every 50 miles or so...some faster some longer...it just varies.

3. unruhly

unruhly New Member

The fuel level gauge is, unfortunately, not linear. I've gotten to just under 200 miles before the first pip disappears. At other times, barely 100 miles. There are many posts about this and some very good hypothesis as to why. Do a search for "fuel tank bladder" for additional info.

EDIT: Is there an echo in here? Evan can you hear me? :D

4. kDB

kDB New Member

it's normal, see here

bah, i take too long to post...

5. upland_bill

upland_bill New Member

Thanks for the link!

I will dismiss it for now, but even though I've only had the car for 6 fill-ups now (http://wmrnet.com/prius.php), I had, or thought I had, paid some attention to the guage versus miles and thought it was doing around 50 miles per blip.

Thanks Agian.

6. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member