1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

am I getting fleeced in san jose?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jilly, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Jilly

Jilly New Member

All,

I'm glad I found this site.

I just gave the dealer $500 for a 2006 Prius with "HK"package, he said will be delivered in 2 to 3 weeks. He said the price is not negotiable: $26,399. This price was the same quoted by two other dealers in my area.

I'm curious what others here paid for their Priuses. The HK package has everying up to the nav system, which I don't need. I see Priuses with tinted glass, which I would like to have, but I don't see this offered in any of the packages. Is tinted glass an after market item? I would also like to have the floor mats, but I'm resisting giving in to the price Toyota wants for them--almost $200! Any suggestions where I could get them for a more reasonable price?

Thanks.

Jilly

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tint is after market. You'll do better to get your own than have the dealer do it for you.

You can probably find mats for cheaper than $200 on eBay, but you may have to wait a bit.

I don't know what an HK is. #6? I don't know what the price is for a #6. There are sites online that can tell you what the real MSRP is, so you'll know if the dealers you called added a markup or not.

Don't buy any of the dealer stuff the financing guy will try to push. No lo-jack, etching, sealant, etc. If you want a warranty, come here after you buy your car. You have 3 years and 36,000 miles to make up your mind. You do NOT have to make a decision at the dealer.

3. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jilly @ Jul 26 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]293008[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the Prius world.

The price unless you're very lucky you'll pay MSRP (you can compare at the Toyota.com website). You can check the mat prices there also. You can also call the dealers parts department and get their regular price (It might be cheaper and you can present this info when you close). When I bought mine the dealer "misquoted" the price of all the accessories I did want significantly.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jilly @ Jul 27 2006, 12:55 AM) [snapback]293008[/snapback]</div>
    Looking at the Toyota website, it looks like "everything up to the nav" (but not including NAV) is a Package #6. The MSRP for that package (including a $540 "Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee", which sounds like a BS charge to me) is $26135.

As far as "non-negotiable," everything is negotiable but the dealer is going to say everything they can to get you to pay the price they want you to pay. Basically, you shouldn't pay more than MSRP; if this dealer won't do it for you, you can definately find other dealers that will. That said, if it's very important to you to have a car soon AND you don't want to spend the time looking elsewhere, $26399 isn't that much more than $26135 (although this number does include the aforementioned $540 charge).

5. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've often seen $26399 as the sticker price on package 6. It's the $26135 plus the mats and cargo net that they always include to push up the price...it's negotiable that they take those out. MSRP pricing is pretty standard since demand went crazy. In February with low gas prices I got mine for what I consider a steal...but no longer. Welcome to the Prius fam!

6. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can build one with the package that you want on the Toyota site. This will give you a good idea of what you should be paying. The dealer shouldn't be charging any higher than this. Don't expect any discounts as there are waiting lists at most dealer locations. Good luck with your purchase!

7. bettyblue

bettyblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jilly @ Jul 26 2006, 11:55 PM) [snapback]293008[/snapback]</div>

Hi Jilly,

I got my Prius three weeks ago. I live in SanJose but bought the car in Dublin. I loved the internet dealer there! The price seems about right though. I paid MSRP on a package #6, $26,321, I think. The car came in in two weeks! I called San Jose, but didnt like the attitude there....after you get the car you will forget all abou the dealer or the price...you will just love it.

Renee

8. timmie88

timmie88 New Member

Almost every dealer in the area quoted MSRP to me. The problem is they have no control over what comes on the car from the factory. So if it's on the window sticker from the factory, they quote you that price.

I got a silver #3, and I've seen prices ranging from 23966 on up for a #3 package with whatever comes from factory.

The one I ended up getting had a sticker of 24109, since the factory included the cargo net, first aid kit, floor mats, and the rear bumper applique.

Toyota Vallejo (where I ended up getting the car even though I'm in San Jose - due to availability), offered me $100 under MSRP, the only dealer to offer me a discount under MSRP.

The trick to getting the discount? They told me I had to be either a Costco or AAA member.

Tim

9. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jilly @ Jul 26 2006, 11:55 PM) [snapback]293008[/snapback]</div>
    If you can drive off the lot for $26,399 with the floor mats and luggage tote and you feel you need all the options that pakage has, and then resist all the stuff they will try to sell you when you pick up the car, like extended warranty, service contract, ect, ect. Give them the $500 refundable deposit. I bought mine for MSRP + the floor mats just to make the salesman happy. Very glad I did because they are really nice mats and other wise I would have probably bought some cheap things from Wal Mart. And that would just not be right for such a nice car !!!!!

10. Jilly

Jilly New Member

Thanks for the welcomes!

I bought my white Prius, package HK (#6), with floor mats for $26,321 from Stevens Creek Toyota, a bit less than what I expecting to pay. I got the exact car I wanted in one week so I'm beginning to think all this talk about waiting lists may be hype.

Now I have to wait a month for the plates to arrive before I can start the process to get those prized HOV stickers. I hope they don't run out in the meantime!

Jilly

11. Atwork

Atwork New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jilly @ Jul 30 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]294514[/snapback]</div>
    Speaking of HOV stickers, I"m going to be driving my new prius from AZ, where my Prius is welcome in the HOV lane to CA. In AZ its a plate rather than a sticker, but can a Prius with the plate/sticker legally drive in the HOV lane is CA?