1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I looney -- or have tire prices gone crazy

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just looking at a tire I bought a couple years ago for $78 each. Now, $158. Checked a few other lines that I DID NOT buy a couple of years ago and their prices were also sky-high. This was via the Web site for Discount Tires.

Am I just seeing an anomaly for my region, or is this what everyone else is seeing. I might have to resort to those Asian brands, you know, the names I can't pronounce.

2. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My tire suppliers tell me that the prices for tires rise with gas. The way the everything else is right now who knows!!
    The market is what is looney.

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I might expect tire prices to rise in another month or two, but the tires being sold now, I am sure, were in the retail pipeline before this jump in fuel prices. GRRRRR:cautious:

4. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with you. Same with gas. Crude oil goes up and gas goes up the next day there’s no way oil has been made in gas already. That is one of the main reasons why I want to get off my dependence for gasoline. But electric vehicles are way too expensive right now. At least I’m no longer driving the suburban. The Prius helps a lot.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pandemic, supply chain disruption, war, oil price hike, and inflation. Many other things doubled in price in the last two years. I have not bought tires for my car but helped my son get two new winter tires recently. The Sumitomo Ice Edge price has not changed much from two years ago. So, look around, you can still find some brands that have kept the price down.

#5 Salamander_King, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Tires are made with petroleum products and steel. it also takes a great deal of energy to make a tire.

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Latex rubber commodity prices have increased a bit in 2022 but still below peaks in earlier years. So prices are being driven elsewhere.

This may not be the place to discuss vehicle tires as absurdly not-recyclable things, long overdue for engineering innovation. Companies with pronounceable names are 'working on that

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought some cheap Chinese tyres for the Chrysler that I use to pick up my wife's antiques: I didn't need anything particularly fancy. But actually, they're OK - grip is good; they're fairly quiet; and they still look almost new after 10,000km.

The brand name is definitely one that non-Chinese-speakers can pronounce. But while you can pronounce it, I'm not sure that you'll want to....

goodride.jpg

"Yeah, you can get a Goodride for about $100 round here" just doesn't sound great.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This just in.

Everything is more expensive now and salary is the same.

Trollbait and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  10. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The very small 13” tires that are almost small enough to fit my antique Comutacar are $800 for a set previously they were $35 tires

Funny part is the first generation tires (natural rubber) were mostly environmentally friendly

Our synthetic models could be re-used for many things but our industry mostly blocks re-use

Given the high cost and propensity to cracking
    tire crumbs make a logical addition to improve asphalt durability and you can use the crumbs with building rubble to melt your own conglomerate concrete road.

too bad nobody wants to improve the lifespan of roads.

And yes the “tire recyclers” do actually use used treads for something, sadly demand is much lower than supply

#10 Rmay635703, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  11. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, inflation is raising the price of everything. I keep maintenance notes on my cars and the last time I did a brake job on our old 2008 Corolla, pads and rotors were $180, five years ago. Now, $240. Brakes for our larger vehicles (Tundra and Sienna) are well over $300.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hate to bust your bubble but salaries are indeed not the same.

Perhaps you've noticed all of the new "Help Wanted" signs out there?
    I live in the Deep South and local small business are starting people out in the $15/hr range.

@ Tyres.
    They've been going up-up-up instead of round and round for a while now.
    Current automobile styling trends call for larger rims and tires, and labour costs, as mentioned above, are not static.

bwilson4web and Merkey like this.
  13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    double-tap. :oops:

Note to self....
    AMMO IS EXPENSIVE!!

Don't do that.

#13 ETC(SS), Mar 29, 2022
  14. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... I've driven on bona fide competition rubber (e.g., the weight of one tire, on its wheel, you could lift with your child's pinky-finger). What race teams now race on is anything, but. Things are so azz backward in the automotive industry, they've got marketing people mandating vehicle specifications.

The most peculiar problem we have with the tire monopolies is, their wholesale corruption of organized motor sport.

Indycar for Bridgestone, F1 for Pirelli, WEC for Michelin, NASCAR for Goodyear, over the last 30 years they've sliced and diced organized motor sport, divvied it up amongst themselves, carving out their little turf to make fake racing tires. To cover this up, they simulate what was once was a tire war between the tire-makers, by imposing tire compound restrictions upon drivers, mandating them to race on at least two sub-optimal tire compounds.

Similarly so, they've done likewise with our automakers. Wheel diameter politics, monopoly power problem looming, the tire-makers gone berserk, elongating our braking distances, arbitrarily mandating 20" plus SUV wheels on everything they see, bent upon making our cars look like the grotesque little Mattel Hot Wheels we played with, K-6.

Given a clean sheet of paper, no engineer worth his salt would ever spec a 22" diameter wheel, controlled by a 14" steering wheel. Only stupid marketing dweebs pull stunts like that.

Which is what killed actor Paul Walker, here in Santa Clarita.

Were it not for regulatory capture at the NHTSA, we're otherwise long overdue for a government intervention. Wheel diameter so sub-optimal, people can no longer drive these cars, in severe winter weather. Quarter inch of snow, CHP has little choice but shut down entire freeways, here in California.

In my once proud '99 Subaru Legacy GT wagon, on 15" wheels, I drove Santa Fe to Colorado Springs, 4 hours, passing 4 snow plows, no chains. Epitome of corporate irresponsibility, 700 horsepower supercharged ZR1 Camaro, on 22" wheels, wouldn't make it as far as Raton - Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile.

#14 asjoseph, Mar 29, 2022
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Store prices are generally set to cover the cost to replace sold stock.

2010moneypit? likes this.
  16. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... for the very first time, drivers in Formula 1, trying, but miserably failing, to control their 18" diameter wheels, with their 9.75" steering wheels:

That car would be 5 seconds a lap faster, on 13" wheels. And, far more forgiving. On a 15" diameter wheel, this toaster oven special might actually stand a fair chance, actually making its stipulated range:

Venture Forward | FF 91 | Faraday Future

So much reciprocating mass from those hopelessly overweight 22" SUV wheels, not downhill in a tailwind would that car ever make it 400 miles on its initial charge.

10" steering wheel? 22" diameter wheels? 1100 hp? The thing's going to wind up on its lid.

Just 18 mpg, my '07 LL Bean Outback has 17s, and it takes forever, woeing it to a complete stop. On 15s, on every criterion, with exception to cup holders, was my '99 Legacy Wagon superior.

15s on my '99 Legacy, lasted forever. Just 44k miles on my Outback, I'm already on my 3rd set -

Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

#16 asjoseph, Mar 29, 2022
  17. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Walker died from terminal dumbassery.
    The good news is that he didn't take any innocents along for the ride.
    The bad news is that he probably inspired more than a few deaths because of (other) idiots who think that the FAF movies were documentaries.
    Our entertainment "betters" know almost as little about cars as they do about firearms.

o_O
    Huh?
    Fraid you lost me on that one.

I have thousands of miles in M998 HMMWVs, and they have 37" tires, and comically small steering wheels.
    I've steered a 350+ foot, 7,000 tonne submarine at speeds requiring seat belts with a yoke that's less than 14'"
    I'm thinking that REAL engineers might just realize that you CAN design systems to control large forces with smaller ones. ;)
    You just can't be stoned out of your gourd when you do it.
    (that's good advice for posting online too!)

California is a shining example of "government intervention" being even further detached from reality than their entertainment industry.:LOL: