1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I out of gas, or is the hybrid battery dead?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Roosterleft, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Roosterleft

Roosterleft Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agh. Backing out of my driveway this morning, every light on the dash lit up including the red ! triangle, and the screen changed to "Problem!" When I tried to shift from Reverse into Drive, nothing would happen when I pressed on the gas pedal. I restarted the car, and tried to move forward with the same result. The on-screen monitor showed the battery at 1 bar. I was able to shift into neutral and push the car into a safe place to park. I know I need gas since "Add fuel" notification happened last time I drove it, however that can be wildly inaccurate so I monitor the mpg for that fillup and how many miles I've driven - should have had about 150miles to go before empty - but who knows, maybe I was idling a lot with the engine lately.

Does this sound like I need to add gas, or like the hybrid battery is dead? Or something else completely? My thinking was if it was a gas issue, I should've been able to drive at low speeds still.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like the battery. but there is a small possibility that you ran out of gas and made it home on the battery, however unlikely.
    you will need to read the trouble codes to determine. might as well check the 12v first, although that doesn't seem to be the problem.
    one bar is not a good thing. how many miles on her?

Roosterleft and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3 gal to get it going and hope the main battery will start the car

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Roosterleft

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a 2007 at 95,000. It happened when I started it to leave (not when I got home).

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Getting the trouble codes read will answer your questions. My guess: HV battery has failed; the low number of miles (approx. 9500/yr) doesn't help.

GOOD LUCK!

6. Roosterleft

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well shoot. Finally got 4 gallons of gas in. Still not working! Couldn’t reverse and only coasted slightly further down the hill.

Attached Files:

7. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Isn't that a thing with second gen: it'll happily run the battery dangerously low if it's gas starved? I believe the solution in those cases was:

1. Try adding goodly amount of gas (done, no joy).
    2. Have it towed to dealership, they order in special charger, recharge it.

Seems like a tow to dealership is in your future, whatever's going on. They'll likely check for codes first, figure out what to do.

I know you don't need this, but: there's really zero upside to running the tank low.

10. Roosterleft

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lesson learned. Two Uber rides and $30 in gas cans later, I’m waiting for a tow truck. The gas meter would flash SO EARLY, like I could only add 4 gallons early, that I’ve gotten used to eyeing my mpg and total miles driven (I reset with each fill up).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bladder tank doesn't help.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... if it filled properly and completely. But even my non-bladder Gen3 tank sometimes shuts off the pump prematurely. Gen2s with bladders were much worse for that (BTDT on a rental), so you can be misled into thinking it has more fuel than it really does.
    Don't discount the possibility that both were essentially empty.

Roosterleft likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still strongly believe in there being an upside to knowing how low the tank can really go, for emergency purposes. See past stories.

But I do agree that there is little upside to running it low merely out of convenience or laziness or cheapness. Quite often, two or more separate problems existing at the same time have far greater consequences than the sum total cost of the exact same problems happening separately. Therefore, whenever a problem crops up, get it remedied promptly, so that it doesn't add to a cascade of compounded difficulties when (not if) the next problem arises.

I do occasionally run my tank low, for testing or practice, but keep such instances deliberate, at times and places of my choosing. Don't practice it when failure will exacerbate already difficult situations.

Roosterleft and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Roosterleft

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great points. I thought I “knew” my car, and have such a short daily commute that I always wait til the weekend to fill up. Even if this isn’t today’s issue, it would’ve saved me a few hours and dollars not having to troubleshoot that possibility in the first place. I also had never considered that I could have not been getting full fills when I thought the gas meter “early.” Really good point to consider from now on.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully it's just a consequence of low gas, and can be sorted by a charge at dealership. (y)

17. Roosterleft

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welp. Damage is in. Need a new hybrid battery and water pump. Was quoted $3500+ tax on battery and $581 on water pump. Yikes.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good time to call Toyota corporate and ask for a goodwill warranty.

You may want to just top off the coolant and hold off on the water pump repair. It's usually a very minor leak

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rooster, where are you located? What trouble codes did the dealership say they found?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Roosterleft

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I didn't ask. I'm in Hartford CT.