1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I using my brake too much...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by seb33, Mar 30, 2010.

1. seb33

seb33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got my Prius yesterday and I love it! Not sure if I'm starting the car correctly. When I get in, I press the regular brake, then release the parking brake and without releasing the regular brake I then press the start button and place the car in reverse (or drive depending where I am). Does this sound right or am I 'riding' on my regular brake too much, and does it matter. This is when I am on a relatively flat surface, I realize that on a slope I should be releasing the parking brake at the very end. Hope this isn't an incredibly stupid question.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What you are doing is fine. You drive a Prius just like any ordinary automatic: let off the brake and it creeps.

Tom

3. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    "The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked."

Everything you're doing sounds fine to me. FYI, if you do NOT step on the brake when you press the Start button, the Prius will go into accessory mode instead of starting the engine.

4. seb33

seb33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the quick reply, can't wait to drive it again. I'm actually looking forward to going back to work after lunch just to drive my car!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "riding the brakes" means keeping your foot on the a lot when you're actually moving. this would reduce your mpg's and cause premature brake pad wear. you have to keep your foot on the brake when you don't want to move or move more slowly than creep effect allows.
    enjoy your new ride and welcome to the club!;)

6. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Time to go freebird, skip work, and follow a touring jam band across the country in your new peace wagon. :hippie: